Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Feraud

Bartender
Let Me In, meh.
It looked pretty, but was nowhere near the emotional heft of its non english superior, Let the Right One In.

The thing about the first one and the remake is, in the first one, I felt Oskar was actually an evil child before he met Eli. Meeting her was sort of a choice for him to go evil or not. In the remake, I felt the boy, Owen was turned evil by Anna. Totally not the same premise.

The second one was SUPER ultra violent, Americans have no problem with that, but that in context flash of nudity that 12 year old Oskar sees when the girl he likes is changing clothes, completely obliterated in this one.

You have to compare them because the second one is so much like the original does not stand on its own at all. Its sad really to make this movie purely so it is in English. Oh well, it tired.

LD
Thanks for confirming what I've been thinking about this remake.
The 2008 original Swedish Let the Right One In was so well done there was no reason for a remake.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Of course there was no reason... except for the possibility of making more money on this story, because American audiences never embrace subtitled films. And that the no-thinking-required REMAKE IT! mentality largely rules Hollywood these days.

I saw and loved Let The Right One In theatrically, but wasn't sufficiently interested in seeing the remake. I figured I'd see it on cable eventually, and if it's better than I expect, that's cool... But I don't see how it could really live up to the original!

Edward

Bartender
I chanced across Darkman on DVD for pennies a day or two ago, and watched that again yesterday. Holds up as well as I remember. The character and story were created by Sam Raimi when he wanted to do The Shadow but couldn't get the rights. (Whatever did happened to his much rumoured take on the latter?) Although set in the present-day (about 1990, if memory serves), it has very much the spirit of a good noir, in my opinion. I have yet to watch the sequel, which I also picked up.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
The More The Merrier (1943) with Jean Arthur, Joel McCrea and Charles Coburn. Really sweet movie.

This scene had me fanning myself...

WOW.

WOW is right! What I found fascinating about it was the "dance" their hands were doing while they were talking. You don't catch it at first, but then you do... very well played and not the usual groping that would be displayed in a movie today. Had to bring my wife in to see it as well.

Cheers,
Tom

rue

WOW is right! What I found fascinating about it was the "dance" their hands were doing while they were talking. You don't catch it at first, but then you do... very well played and not the usual groping that would be displayed in a movie today. Had to bring my wife in to see it as well.

Cheers,
Tom

Yes, the hands moving while she kept talking is what really made the scene work. Unbelievably sexy :)

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
I very rarely stay up late enough to watch TCM's Silent Sunday Nights, but made it through a movie a couple weeks ago. "Godless Girl".

Usually, I love a good silent comedy (especially Harold Lloyd!) but this one definitely held my interest for a drama. :)

I watched the special features disc that came with the 1933 version of King Kong. It has a bunch on Merrian C Cooper and the crew he worked with. Lots on Willis O'Brien as to creating stop motion animation and the various effects to do King Kong.

The best is about Peter Jackson that did the Fellowship of the Ring and the last King Kong film. He put together a crew that spent time working up a version of the fabled missing "Spider Pit" scene that Cooper cut out of King Kong after it had stolen the show. It has to do with the sailors that fall off the log over the ravine.
In 1938 the film board cut out a slew of scenes but they found an uncut version in England but it did not have the Spider Pit scene. There are hopes that a version will be found in a film archive intact some day with the Spider Pit scene intact.

Effingham

A-List Customer
"The Hidden Fortress" which only confirmed what I already thought about Kurosawa. He was a freakin' genius.

Oh, hell yes. That spear duel between Mifune's character and the other fellow? Masterful. And I'll NEVER forget that scene of Mifune galloping off after the two scouts, standing in the stirrups, holding the reins in his mouth, both hands holding his sword. Wow. Just.... Wow.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Oh Lord... Tomasso.... I haven't heard that line in a stones age lol
Nor have I! Funnily enough, it's the first time I've ever said or written that line. My father made the comment once in response to my cousin's recount of untoward advances from a blind date. I was maybe ten years old and it just sat dormant in my mind until today. Go figure....[huh]

Last edited:

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
You Again, of quite recent vintage, with Kristin Bell, Jamie Lee Curtis, and Sigourney Weaver. I cannot recall a expletive or smutty remark. It was driven by characterization and situation. Mrs. Hood said it was her turn to pick the flick and thus it was that I was pleasantly surprised.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen