Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
N By NW is a swell film. There are certain aspects of it that are just astonishing. The bad guys are really interesting with James Mason as the sophisticated leader of the group. The scenes like at Mount Rushmore cafeteria and the train station give me a feeling of nostalgia and how things used to be.

The scene where he gets chased by the biplane has always mesmerized me since I was pretty little and saw it on TV. It remains a fine film.

I can't count how many times I have watched this movie and if I turn it on even halfway through I am instantly sucked in - the movie is pretty much perfect - so stylish, great story, fine acting, humour, romance and thrills.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Meet Me in St. Louis

I just finished watching Meet Me in St. Louis(1944, Judy Garland) with my six-year-old granddaughter. It was her recommendation.

Last Monday morning as I was driving her to school I had on '40s on 4 Sirius radio when The Trolley Song came on. She starting singing along with it, really getting into 'Clang clang clang went the trolley..." and then announced that it was from a movie. I said something like "Really?" and she replied "Yes, it's from Meet Me in St. Louis." and kept right on singing along.

Yes, she's a fan of early musicals! So tonight, it not being a school or work night, we watched it together. I had to keep her from telling me what was coming up next. The movie was also the introduction of the song Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, which I believe has been discussed in great detail somewhere else in the Lounge.

Another favorite of hers that I've yet to see (even though it is shown constantly in the living room) is Kiss Me Kate.

Cheers,
Tom

Kirk H.

One Too Many
I just finished watching Meet Me in St. Louis(1944, Judy Garland) with my six-year-old granddaughter. It was her recommendation.

Last Monday morning as I was driving her to school I had on '40s on 4 Sirius radio when The Trolley Song came on. She starting singing along with it, really getting into 'Clang clang clang went the trolley..." and then announced that it was from a movie. I said something like "Really?" and she replied "Yes, it's from Meet Me in St. Louis." and kept right on singing along.

Yes, she's a fan of early musicals! So tonight, it not being a school or work night, we watched it together. I had to keep her from telling me what was coming up next. The movie was also the introduction of the song Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, which I believe has been discussed in great detail somewhere else in the Lounge.

Another favorite of hers that I've yet to see (even though it is shown constantly in the living room) is Kiss Me Kate.

Cheers,
Tom

That is so cool. I am glad you got to spend some great quality time with her.

Regards

Kirk H.

Bernie Zack

One of the Regulars

Cheers,
Tom

Great musical. I'm going to have to go and dig out some of the musicals I recorded on dvd. Brigadoon comes to mind first, An American in Paris . . . This is a fantastic thread!

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
North by Northwest was on last night. I've seen it before, like it. But I noticed different things last night, like the fashion of the time (1959), etc.

The one thing that REALLY stuck out was how, at that time, there are a lot of men NOT wearing hats. The scene at grand central station where the "crowd" is pictured, as well as scenes involving the main cast of characters show less hats than in films from previous years. Still much more than today, but you can tell that hats were on their way out even in 1959.

It's hard to pinpoint exactly when male hat-wearers became a noticeable minority, especially since hat-wearing varied by region, age, and profession. Yet from movie crowd scenes and still photographs, one can see a real decline in hats by the mid-'50s (think of the film Marty, from 1955). I've mentioned before that although my own father was an avid hat-wearer as a younger man, I can't find a photograph of him with a fedora after about 1952. However, if you go by some movies and TV programs, which you shouldn't, you'll swear that even in the early-'60s being male and bare-headed was an anomaly. (Two that come to mind are the 1961 Twilight Zone episode "A Penney For Your Thoughts" with Dick York, in which he and just about every other man is wearing a stingy brim, and one of the first Beverly Hillbillies episodes in 1962 which features an airport escalator full of hatted men...)

Mr Vim

One Too Many
To continue with Widebrim's thoughts, some of the earlier episodes had proliferant hat wearing, especially wider brimmed fedoras!
I'm thinking specifically of Four of Us Are Dying, the episode where the main character can change his face to whatever he wants. He had a great hat throughout the episode.

Oh and that's what I just watched.

It's hard to pinpoint exactly when male hat-wearers became a noticeable minority, especially since hat-wearing varied by region, age, and profession. Yet from movie crowd scenes and still photographs, one can see a real decline in hats by the mid-'50s (think of the film Marty, from 1955). I've mentioned before that although my own father was an avid hat-wearer as a younger man, I can't find a photograph of him with a fedora after about 1952. However, if you go by some movies and TV programs, which you shouldn't, you'll swear that even in the early-'60s being male and bare-headed was an anomaly. (Two that come to mind are the 1961 Twilight Zone episode "A Penney For Your Thoughts" with Dick York, in which he and just about every other man is wearing a stingy brim, and one of the first Beverly Hillbillies episodes in 1962 which features an airport escalator full of hatted men...)

Another thing is that fashion trends affect areas differently and the age of the person comes into play. it's one of those things where we'd need a zillion actual crowd pictures from various cities and small towns and plot the demographics to understand the who, where and when as to the loss of fedoras trend kicks in.

I watched a documentary on Louis Prima last.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
To continue with Widebrim's thoughts, some of the earlier episodes had proliferant hat wearing, especially wider brimmed fedoras!
I'm thinking specifically of Four of Us Are Dying, the episode where the main character can change his face to whatever he wants. He had a great hat throughout the episode.

Oh and that's what I just watched.

Another thing is that fashion trends affect areas differently and the age of the person comes into play. it's one of those things where we'd need a zillion actual crowd pictures from various cities and small towns and plot the demographics to understand the who, where and when as to the loss of fedoras trend kicks in.

I watched a documentary on Louis Prima last.

Good examples/points from both you gents.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Just finished Key Largo on TCM. No matter how many times I've seen it, it's always good. And there are so many classics like that for me.

I haven't seen it for years, and it was never one of my favorite Bogart films. However, having read about it recently, I will give it another try. I do remember the scene where Robinson offers Bogart an (unknown to the others) unloaded .45 pistol, and how Bogart declines to try and use it against Robinson. Lionel Barrymore, trying to sustain Bogart's honor, states that the latter must have known that the pistol was unloaded, to which Bogart answers that he didn't--for me, a true Noir "anti-hero" moment...

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Let Me In, meh.
It looked pretty, but was nowhere near the emotional heft of its non english superior, Let the Right One In.

The thing about the first one and the remake is, in the first one, I felt Oskar was actually an evil child before he met Eli. Meeting her was sort of a choice for him to go evil or not. In the remake, I felt the boy, Owen was turned evil by Anna. Totally not the same premise.

The second one was SUPER ultra violent, Americans have no problem with that, but that in context flash of nudity that 12 year old Oskar sees when the girl he likes is changing clothes, completely obliterated in this one.

You have to compare them because the second one is so much like the original does not stand on its own at all. Its sad really to make this movie purely so it is in English. Oh well, it tired.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen