Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

dostacos

Practically Family
last one Maltese Falcon, next up from Netflix Casablanca and some Thin Man.

next date movie Rush Hour 3, my wife enjoys Jackie Chan movies labor day weekend

Caleb Moore

Familiar Face
Saw a double feature at the wonderful Stanford Theater in Palo Alto, CA. First up was The Maltese Falcon, one of my favorites, and Citizen Kane. I had never seen Kane and waited years to be able to see it for the first time on the big screen. It was worth the wait...I thoroughly enjoyed it.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Caleb Moore said:
I had never seen Kane and waited years to be able to see it for the first time on the big screen. It was worth the wait...I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I did the same thing and I'm so glad I waited to see it first on the big screen. It was so hard to avoid spoilers on this one!

Doh!

One Too Many
Last month, I bought Road to Perdition at Best Buy for $10 bucks and finally cracked it open this past weekend. Great movie. I had only seen it once in the theater.

Can't beat Paul Newman.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Talk about a difficult film to watch... Last evening was the premiere of 'The Bridge' on the IFC channel. It's a documentary on people committing suicide by jumping from the Golden Gate Bridge. It interviews families and friends of victims about the victims' lives and what may have led to them to end their lives this way. It's a very controversial film, but I highly recommend it. It doesn't glorify the suicides.

Feraud

Bartender
Our Man in Havana.

Alec Guiness plays a vacuum cleaner salesman in Havana who is tapped to create a ring of spies in Cuba. Knowing nothing about the spy game, Guiness makes everything up. He creates fake contacts, information, and submits to his bosses in England a set drawings of secret installations based on vacuum cleaner parts.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
The other night Chiller was playing "Frankenstein 1970" with Boris Karloff as Baron Victor von Frankenstein. A tad silly but passable. It used neuclear power to give life to the creature. Here's a synopsis from IMDB.

"Baron Victor Von Frankenstein (Boris Karloff) has fallen on hard times; he was tortured at the hands of the Nazis for not cooperating with them during World War II and he is now badly disfigured. As his family's wealth begins to run out, the Baron is forced to allow a TV crew shooting a documentary on his monster-making ancestors to film at his castle in Germany. However, the Baron has some ideas of his own: using the money from the crew's rent he buys an atomic reactor and uses it to create a hulking monster, transplanting his butler's brain into the thing and using it to kill off the crew for more spare parts."

Cheers!

Dan

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I have been watching lots of movies on Retroplex, which is fantastic. This weekend it was "Mr Smith Goes to Washington" (1939) with Jimmy Stewart, "Imitation of Life" (1959) with Lana Turner and a very young Sandra Dee, and "All That Heaven Allows" (1955) with Jane Wyman, Rock Hudson and Agnes Moorehead. They also showed Woody Allen's "Interiors".

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Quigley Brown said:
Talk about a difficult film to watch... Last evening was the premiere of 'The Bridge' on the IFC channel. It's a documentary on people committing suicide by jumping from the Golden Gate Bridge. It interviews families and friends of victims about the victims' lives and what may have led to them to end their lives this way. It's a very controversial film, but I highly recommend it. It doesn't glorify the suicides.

That just came to me in the mail from Netflix. Im gonna watch it later this week.

LD

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
DanielJones said:
The other night Chiller was playing "Frankenstein 1970" with Boris Karloff as Baron Victor von Frankenstein. A tad silly but passable. It used neuclear power to give life to the creature.
Something about the title of this movie made a deep impression on my brain when it first came out. I was 11 at the time. I got it in my head that the science fiction "future" would begin in 1970, a time which seemed unimaginably distant. Needless to say, in spite of moon landings, the actual year of 1970 was rather a letdown.
Latest movie I watched? Last Saturday I rented and finally saw "It Happened One Night". Charming flick. A must see. I spent a lot of time checking out the backgrounds, since it was mostly filmed out doors on location around Southern California. The scenes in the little cabin motel were totally authentic. Standing in line for the shower was totally normal back then! And I suspect sing alongs on the bus were also.

Feraud

Bartender
Quigley Brown said:
'City of God' from Brazil was on IFC early this morning....filmmaking at it's best.
Definitely. An amazing display of writing, direction, music, and cinematography.

Last night I started watching Thunder Road with Robert Mitchum. Fast cars, moonshine, and Keely Smith.

nyx

One of the Regulars
Although it's technically not a movie, this weekend I finally got Season 1 of Alfred Hitchcock Presents from Blockbuster online. It had been on my waiting list FOREVER--I guess it's pretty popular. I had remembered seeing a rerun of "Breakdown" when I was young. I love the twist endings, although sometimes you can see them coming. Plus, Hitchcock is a hoot in his intros.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
KittyT said:
I have been watching lots of movies on Retroplex, which is fantastic.

I just discovered Retroplex, Kitty--it is great, especially for cheap folks like me who won't spring for the extra dough to get TCM!

Pillow Talk was on there last night, always good for a chuckle. I love it when Tony Randall is vindictive and Rock Hudson was completely gorgeous. The singer in the club is great too.

funneman

Practically Family
Miller's Crossing

I just saw it for the first time night before last (8/28). Loved it.

I've watched Barton Fink about a half dozen times. Great one!

Also, Public Eye. Awesome movie.

The Sting and The Front Page have been on a lot lately too.

Thank goodness for Retroplex and TCM.

BTW, am I the only one who is reminded of the Fedora Lounge logo everytime I see the TCM one?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
New Faces of 1937. A masterpiece of meh.
You know a movie is lame when all of the following apply:

a. it contains both Joe Penner and Parkyakarkus.
b. sometimes even in the same scene.
c. the songs are the best things in it.
d. it ain't even a musical.
e. out of sheer lack of entertainment, you start idly fantasizing about the female lead.
f. the female lead is Harriet Hilliard.
g. one of the sketches was lifted bodily from last year's Ziegfeld Follies ("last year" in this case being 1936).
h. they actually tell you so in the credits.

Also note that Milton Berle's character has a last name that turns into a racial slur when spelled first phonetically and then backwards.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
"You know, Louie? This could be the start of a beautiful friendship."

The last movie I saw was Casablanca, just the other day. I bought the special edition DVD. It's a two disc set with a bunch of extras, including the Bugs Bunny cartoon "Carrotblanca", which is hysterical. In my opinion, Ingrid Bergman is without a doubt the most natural beauty to have ever graced the silver screen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana