Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I re-watched the last 1/2 of Mr. Smith Goes to Washington last night. I'd forgotten the strongarm tactics used against the Boy Rangers and their little paper - or how briskly the whole thing ended.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
The first half of An American Haunting. Been itching to see it since I read the actual Bell Witch legend. It's an interesting premise, and the movie does fairly well on it, there are a couple lackluster moments, but I like what I've seen so far.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Indy

Dragged out the Raiders DVD last night...Hadn't seen it for many a year...Seen Last Crusade a lot...but forgot the "magic" that was Raiders!

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hmmm? Watched part of a cheezy movive on Sci-Fi called Mammoth last night. Yeah, it was so good I actually fell asleep before the end.lol

Hondo

One Too Many
William Shakespeare’s Romeo & Juliet

Not a fan of Leonardo DiCaprio (he has since turned in some decent, creditable work) when this first came out but I viewed it over a few more times "Shakespeare" will do it for this guy every time, this modern or updated version of Romeo & Juliet. Just a bit too violent (gun play) for me, but I like it, and what can you say about John Leguizamo dude, cool or what?, I never tire of Shakespeare, but I enjoy this (Romeo & Juliet) story, same goes for "Shakespeare in Love" gets me every time :) Yeah (sniff) I shed a tear all the time lol
To show you how my tastes varies, I also saw "The Man Who Shot, Liberty Valance" John Wayne & Lee Marvin scenes (Wayne to Marvin "Pick up my steak Valance!") lol

Edward

Bartender
Hondo said:
Not a fan of Leonardo DiCaprio (he has since turned in some decent, creditable work) when this first came out but I viewed it over a few more times "Shakespeare" will do it for this guy every time, this modern or updated version of Romeo & Juliet. Just a bit too violent (gun play) for me, but I like it, and what can you say about John Leguizamo dude, cool or what?

I really enjoyed that verison too. What it got that so many (the vast majority, actually - including also Shakespeare in Love) intepretations of Romeo and Juliet miss is that it's not about love at all - it's about teenage infatuation. Their portrayal of Mercutio was way offbase IMO, but otherwise it's among the best on screen Shakespeare I've seen.

Hondo

One Too Many
This play intrigues me a great deal, and I am no Shakespeare expert, very true "Its about teenage infatuation" if only my life story was set in Shakespearian times :D

BTW: I did watch "The Shootist" but its painful, because its John Waynes last role, and he knew it :(

Edward said:
I really enjoyed that verison too. What it got that so many (the vast majority, actually - including also Shakespeare in Love) intepretations of Romeo and Juliet miss is that it's not about love at all - it's about teenage infatuation. Their portrayal of Mercutio was way offbase IMO, but otherwise it's among the best on screen Shakespeare I've seen.

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
The child of me recently saw The Last Mimzy. Not too ashamed to admit I really enjoyed it :eek: . Sure it was cliched and trite, but the use of appropriate esoteric references sucks me in every time.

The adult of me recently saw Shooter. Loved the action; loved the plot twist; loved Wahlberg cast in the perfect role for his talent.

Since I am fairly sure it's Robert Ludlum's craft that makes the Bourne series work and the DVDs seem to come out so quickly after release, I can probably keep my I-will-never-step-inside-a-movie-theater-with-its-sticky-floors-and-discourteous-patrons-ever-again rule and wait until the Bourne Ultimatum DVD hits the rental center. I seriously considered breaking that rule to see Live Free or Die Hard.

Bruce Willis torn-shirted, dirty, blooded, and totally deadpan as he dishes out lines like, "I ran out of bullets" after blowing away a helicopter with a car is like:
YO!
w/a :D fist-in-the-air and an out-of-your-seat :D

Makes me want to break all the rules :p

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I watched Libeled Lady (1936) last night. It's a solid "formula" film, quite enjoyable. Myrna Loy, Jean Harlow and Spencer Tracy were all wonderful but I think the film belongs to William Powell--he's funny, touching, and does some great physical comedy bits. It's fun to see Powell and Loy being a little edgier than they are in the Thin Man too.

Powell: "I thought that was rather clever"
Loy: "Yes, I thought you thought so"

Also, William Powell has great suits and hats.

hat.jpg

whitesuit.jpg

ship.jpg

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My wife and I watched 'The Lost City' the other night, an Andy Garcia film set during the Cuban Communist revolution in 1958. The Panama hats are wonderful. You don't get the full weight of it with this screen grab, but this scene of Garcia's father's character--a university professor opposed to the revolution--walking through the campus after riots was wonderfully elegant:

vlcsnap660197cz2.png

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Before work this morning I took some time to rewatch "Wake Up And Live," a delightful Fox musical from 1937 -- the story of a mike-shy radio studio tourguide (Jack Haley) who achieves fame as the mysterious "Phantom Troubadour" when he accidently croons into a live microphone during a broadcast. With help from a glamourous motivational speaker (Alice Faye), he works to overcome his mike fright, even as ever-feuding bandleader Ben Bernie and columnist Walter Winchell compete to exploit his increasing fame.

It's about as perfect a mid-thirties musical as was ever made -- with great songs by Gordon and Revel, and one of the best supporting casts you'll ever see. You can't go wrong with a picture with roles for Ned Sparks, Patsy Kelly, Walter Catlett and William Demarest, with cameos by Joan Davis and Eddie "Rochester" Anderson. It's likely the best film with a radio theme to come out of the era.

All the more unfortunate that Fox films of the thirties may be the hardest to find of any sound-era studio product. "Wake Up And Live" has never been released on any legitimate home-video format, and has had only sporadic middle-of-the-night airings on the Fox Movie Channel. I had to resort to a bootleg DVD to see it, and have no misgivings about that at all. The studios need to dig down in their vaults and bring gems like this one back to light!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21