Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

I just saw Taxi Driver (1976), directed by Martin Scorsese, and starring Robert De Niro. It was a great film, very deep. I can actually identify somewhat with the main character, Travis Bickle, with regard to loneliness, depression, going on and on with the grind of day-by-day life, and so on. It reminded me in some way of Jean-Pierre Melville's Le Samourai (1967), too, which I'm pretty sure may have been of some inspiration toward Taxi Driver. Both were relatively slow, drawn-out films with sparse action, and loner protagonists, and both encountered some of the most difficult moments of their lifetimes towards the end of their respective films. Also, this film's got to be the coolest portrayal of the mohawk hairstyle ever. I've got to say, when I first saw De Niro's character emerge out in the open, during the political rally, I thought it was an imposing presence, then he's got that sly smile, and claps like everyone else, preparing to do the hit. Right now, I think I'll rate it 9/10.

It is a wild film and there are some interesting connections running through the film. I seem to recall that the scenes where Travis is shooting targets relates to the actual shooting in the end have a link as to where he hits the thugs. but I am not sure.

Edward

Bartender
I just saw Taxi Driver (1976), directed by Martin Scorsese, and starring Robert De Niro. It was a great film, very deep. I can actually identify somewhat with the main character, Travis Bickle, with regard to loneliness, depression, going on and on with the grind of day-by-day life, and so on. It reminded me in some way of Jean-Pierre Melville's Le Samourai (1967), too, which I'm pretty sure may have been of some inspiration toward Taxi Driver. Both were relatively slow, drawn-out films with sparse action, and loner protagonists, and both encountered some of the most difficult moments of their lifetimes towards the end of their respective films. Also, this film's got to be the coolest portrayal of the mohawk hairstyle ever. I've got to say, when I first saw De Niro's character emerge out in the open, during the political rally, I thought it was an imposing presence, then he's got that sly smile, and claps like everyone else, preparing to do the hit.

Right now, I think I'll rate it 9/10.

Was it a mohawk? I thought it was a mohican... cant seem to find a shot of the back of his head on Google. Ignore me, I'm being picky.... ;) Fantastic film either way.

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
It Happened One Night, one of those nearly life-long favorites. I love it every single time.

[video=youtube;7qMPv4l98-A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qMPv4l98-A&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/video]

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
This morning I watched "Bonnie and Clyde" with Warren Beatty and Faye Dunnaway

I was just thinking about Faye in B&C last night. She makes all these very high-skill movies, Oscar winners, amazing roles... and also made Supergirl and Anonymous Rex. I *love* that. "I'm Faye Dunaway. I do what I want!"

Lilacs in the Spring with Errol Flynn and Anna Neagle. Hard going but Errol gets to sing a dance - sort of

Oooh I'm going to try to find that. I love Errol and I've yet to see it.

This morning my daughter and I watched "Disney's Halloween Treat." Kind of a movie... lots of movie parts. :)

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
^ I really liked that movie. What did you think of it Miss G?

Hey Rue - I think it was my 3rd time watching it and I really, really like it! I just love all the bizarre characters and the weird predicaments they find themselves in - Gene Hackman was priceless in it - in fact I think the whole cast turned in great performances. I'd watch it again - and maybe again!

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Finally bought and watched "Shadow of a Doubt," the 1942 Hitchcock film with Joseph Cotten. I hadn't seen it since I was a wee lad, and all I remembered was something at the climax involving a train. (Turns out I was right.)

Neatly done it is, with some very creepy work by Cotten bringing out the sociopath in Thornton Wilder's Uncle Charlie. There are some cool hats too. In the first few minutes Uncle Charlie dons a high-crowned, wide-brimmed hat that looks much like an Akubra Federation. When he gets off the train in Santa Rosa, it's replaced by a shorter-brimmed lid with a narrower ribbon. He wears an Optimo-ridged straw later, its brim snapped down both in front and back. And Wallace Ford sports something much like a Stratoliner, with a high straight crown and a thin ribbon.

Anyway, rather a neat film. I'm still not as big a Hitchcock fan as some, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw