Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Ed Wood did the best he could with what he had, which wasn't much. I'll second DNO, check out "Ed Wood" with Johnny Depp to gain some insight.

As an added note, my 3 and 5 year olds LOVED Plan 9, but my older boys, 7 and 9, lost it the minute they saw Vampira and were terrified to watch the rest of it.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

I should also add that I own the box set, and quite enjoy these films while I am drinking.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I should also add that I own the box set, and quite enjoy these films while I am drinking.

I have the box set too. :eusa_clap
Don't forget The Amazing Criswell.

There are a few movies I can watch over and over again, and never grow tired of them.
Ed Wood is on the top of the list.
The other being The Aviator.

Last edited:

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
1949's Mighty Joe Young.

And, yes, Plan 9 must be seen to be believed. It is not a spoof; what makes it so mind-blowingly bad is that they were trying to make a real movie. 'Course with no money, no story, no coherence...

cw3pa

A-List Customer
",and quite enjoy these films while I am drinking.";)
I realize Ed Wood was dealing with great difficulties, but I don't believe I have enough ethanol available to enable me to endure another showing of Plan 9.

...and Martin Landau won best supporting actor for his role as Bela Lugosi...
Not long after he'd won, a friend and I ran into Mr. Landau at a special screening of something (can't remember what). Naturally, we complimented him on winning the award and on his performance in Ed Wood, and though he was grateful to have won the Oscar he seemed happier to know so many fans felt he did Bela Lugosi justice in the movie.

As for Plan 9, I've never been able to sit through it. For me it starts off being comically bad, but soon becomes boring and tedious.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
"Plan 9 from Outer Space" is often rated as either the worst movie ever made or at least the worst science fiction movie ever made. Every movie enthusiast needs to see it at least once. I can't speak for the wacky Ed wood, but I don't think he was trying to make a parody. It was as good as he and his collection of oddball pals could do. There are a ton of legends and stories about this one. Look it up and you'll see what I mean.

'Plan 9 from Outer Space' may be dreadful but it inspired one of my favourite songs: Plan 9 Channel 7 by the Damned
watch

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
1949's Mighty Joe Young.

And, yes, Plan 9 must be seen to be believed. It is not a spoof; what makes it so mind-blowingly bad is that they were trying to make a real movie. 'Course with no money, no story, no coherence...
And sadly no actors.
But a really big wrestler. :D
In all honesty, as goofy as Ed Wood Jr. was, I'm thankful for one thing.
He saved Bela Lugosi, and brought him back out of obscurity.
Set aside all the bad films Wood did, and even the angora sweaters he probably wore in private...and he still has this one redeeming quality.
He idolized Lugosi, and for that reason only IMHO, he gave the man a chance to be somebody one more time, even if it wasn't for very long.

I actually enjoyed that film. I was a big fan of that strip growing up. Even though the Phantom in the funny papers has kept up with modern times, I'm glad the movie was based on the golden age version.

Not long after he'd won, a friend and I ran into Mr. Landau at a special screening of something (can't remember what). Naturally, we complimented him on winning the award and on his performance in Ed Wood, and though he was grateful to have won the Oscar he seemed happier to know so many fans felt he did Bela Lugosi justice in the movie.

As for Plan 9, I've never been able to sit through it. For me it starts off being comically bad, but soon becomes boring and tedious.

You all are going into Plan 9 with too high expectations. It is just a typical 50s horror film. It ain't War and Peace. lol lol

DNO

One Too Many
You all are going into Plan 9 with too high expectations. It is just a typical 50s horror film. It ain't War and Peace. lol lol

Exactly...you have to view it as an inadvertent comedy.

Watching the Ronald Coleman version of Prisoner of Zenda right now on TCM. I love Raymond Massey as Black Michael.

1950s sci-fi/horror films are like beers. Some are definately better than others, but in a pinch most any of them will get the job done.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I watched some of Jackie Brown last night, but to be honest I'm not a Tarantino fan. Plus, the language was a steady stream of words I hear daily, but not in the compressed form. A bit hard to take IMHO, and not really relevant to the story.
Don't watch any of his other movies, then!

Personally I think Jackie Brown is by far his best movie, and the most mature one. Pam Grier and Robert Forster were excellent together and it's hard to believe such a good romantic storyline came from Tarantino. The rest of the movie is more or less classic Tarantino.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany