Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
"Kiss of Death" (1947) A real keeper!

"The New Centurions" (1972) starring George C. Scott and Stacy Keach.
This movie was good, but it's not a movie that leaves you feeling good or even with a pleasant feeling. I'm sure that it was not intended to. It's a story about life as a patrol cop in Los Angeles in the early 1970s.

- Ian

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Big Hero Six on Friday with the Missus and Teen Hood; rarely have I been in a movie where everybody had lots of laughs and the audience applauded at the end.
Then, tonight, Interstellar, with Teen Hood and Twenty-something Working Man Hood; it was sort of Inception Meets 2001: A Space Odyssey (but in the best sense).

Feraud

Bartender
"The Mummy" , the original from 1932

While this film suffers from an abrupt ending I have to say this is probably my favorite Universal monster flick. Karloff's Mummy make up is amazing but sadly barely used on screen.

My son and I saw Interstellar this past weekend. The movie was mostly amazing. My only gripe was with McConaughey's weepy "I"m doing it for my family" routine. It felt a bit forced. Overall a mostly stunning film.

While most online comments are using this film as a call for further space exploration, i got the exact opposite message. Our planet is a limited resource and we need to do everything we can to preserve it for future generations.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Fury" - Sorry as a Vet I just couldn't get past the opening premise. You've a combat tank crew that have somehow managed to survive in inferior American Armor from Kasserine Pass to western Germany and they're going to put their lives in the hands of a clerk typist? Unbelievable I just can't buy the premise. They got away with it in SPR because the guy had a particular skill needed to finish the mission... translator I believe. This kid brings nothing, knows nothing... has nothing. They're standing in the Repl Depot surrounded by infantry SOMEONE has to be a .30 cal gunner!!!! But no we have to have the tired tale of callow youth turned into "first class fightin' man" through beatings, brutality, sex and murder. This is not Bastogne (The Battle of the Bulge) where EVERYONE became a rifleman. The acting is first rate, Pitt is steady and believable as the battle scarred veteran of the tank wars in Europe. I particularly liked breakfast scene with the two women. If I didn't know soldiers... if I hadn't been one, I might have enjoyed this film better, but as it is they lost me at the start.

Worf

Harp

I'll Lock Up
"Fury" - Sorry as a Vet I just couldn't get past the opening premise. You've a combat tank crew that have somehow managed to survive in inferior American Armor from Kasserine Pass to western Germany and they're going to put their lives in the hands of a clerk typist? Unbelievable I just can't buy the premise. If I didn't know soldiers... if I hadn't been one, I might have enjoyed this film better, but as it is they lost me at the start.

Worf

I once added to a flank several US Air Force technicians whom took the occasion to bluntly inform me that none had ever fired a M16. :popcorn:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House. It's been at least 40 years since I first watched this movie, it's still funny today!

Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House. It's been at least 40 years since I first watched this movie, it's still funny today!

Occasionally, it slips into slapstick, but agreed, overall funny and enjoyable. And as someone who just recently bought his first ever coop apartment in NYC, yes, every single person on earth has his hand in your pocket as you both buy it and then do any work on it. While a bit exaggerated in the movie, it's painfully closer to the truth than I would have imagined.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
EmergencyIan said:
"The New Centurions" (1972) starring George C. Scott and Stacy Keach. This movie was good, but it's not a movie that leaves you feeling good or even with a pleasant feeling. I'm sure that it was not intended to. It's a story about life as a patrol cop in Los Angeles in the early 1970s.
I agree. It's a fine film, but depressing and somewhat nihilistic.
Feraud said:
My son and I saw Interstellar this past weekend. The movie was mostly amazing. My only gripe was with McConaughey's weepy "I"m doing it for my family" routine. It felt a bit forced. Overall a mostly stunning film.
The doing it for my family theme is pretty common in films and I agree it's tired. I guess Gollywood writers and producers see it as more relatable to viewers than "I did it for my personal career advancement" or "I did it to keep my job" explanations, which are probably the real reasons why many people do great things.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Last night I watched Transformers 4 with a friend.

It was pretty clear by the end of the first 30 minutes that there was going to be zero story and nothing more than a long car chase and CGI extravaganza. We should have stopped at that point, but we didn't pay for the money (thankfully) and my friend's willingness to burn out his brain with crap movies and television seems to be increasing all the time. By the end, some 2 hours 45 minutes later (yes, it's that long) we has witnessed 40 or 50 car chases and several dozen giant robot fights, and enough flickering/flashing lights and lens flares to cause vision damage. I was on the verge of being angry at the amount of money that was spent on making this worthless movie - if the money had been spent differently, could we have cured cancer?

The only thing that elevated the film a bit was the hard work and great wardrobe of Stanley Tucci.

rjb1

Practically Family
I liked Jimmy Kimmel's take on the whole "Transformers" movie nonsense.
He was doing his monologue and announced that "Transformers 4" had just come out. He then said that if you hadn't seen the first three he would fill you in on the plot to date: "Toy cars turn into giant robots... (pause) ...that's it." (shrugs)

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
rjb1 said:
I liked Jimmy Kimmel's take on the whole "Transformers" movie nonsense. He was doing his monologue and announced that "Transformers 4" had just come out. He then said that if you hadn't seen the first three he would fill you in on the plot to date: "Toy cars turn into giant robots... (pause) ...that's it." (shrugs)
That's pretty much it. I kept asking my friend what happened in the previous movies, because I didn't know what was going on in this movie. He said he didn't know either and couldn't remember the previous ones either.

Its annoying since I had a bunch of the toys as a kid and enjoyed the cartoon. It was fun because it was vehicles that transformed into robots. Modern Transformers is the same thing, but somehow less. Weird.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Pants On Fire. A kid who lies about every thing, then his lies come to life. First 30 minutes were slow, but it did get pretty funny after that.

That's pretty much it. I kept asking my friend what happened in the previous movies, because I didn't know what was going on in this movie. He said he didn't know either and couldn't remember the previous ones either.

Its annoying since I had a bunch of the toys as a kid and enjoyed the cartoon. It was fun because it was vehicles that transformed into robots. Modern Transformers is the same thing, but somehow less. Weird.

My son was about 8 when we had to bail on Capt. America because of the level of death and violence - totally unsuitable for a second grader - and he really struck a nerve when he asked me "Dad, aren't superheros supposed to be for kids? How come all the movies about them are for grown-ups?"
Transformers movies are ****ing stupid, they're toys for little kids. Awesome for you if you had them to play with as a child. Give it up now, they're still for kids. My 4 year old LOVES his transformers (and spiderman, capt. America, etc....), and he's shattered that we won't let him see these movies. If these films are your idea of super awesome cool you need to get laid more often.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran