Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
The Boys From Brazil (1978). I thoroughly enjoy Nazi hunting movies, and this is certainly one of my favourites! Laurence Olivier, Gregory Peck, and James Mason give stand out performances and the end of Peck's Josef Mengele is quite satisfying, as is the dignity and humanity of Olivier's Lieberman. Excellent suits on Olivier throughout, as well, and I am strangely in love with Peck's suit in and just prior to his death scene. I might even have one made up for myself, or sew the bloody thing. It looks to be a typical German field-blouse modified for civilian usage with the skirting curved back and the lapel rolled and pressed down. Perhaps use an old Swiss field tunic I've got lying about.....Though I don't fancy epaulets on a civilian garment.....Anyway, thoroughly enjoyable film, great actors, and a topic truly close to my heart.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Kronos" - I remember seeing this old Sci-Fi chestnut as a kid over 45 years ago. Never saw the whole thing back then and desperately hoped it would come out on DVD. Felt the same way about "The Crawling Eye". Finally they put it out on DVD but I didn't want to buy it. Waited about 3 years for the DVD to come available on Netflix. Watched it last night. What WAS I thinking, this movie was/is awuful but I think the science and the special effects, particularly the hand drawn movements of the walking EverReady Battree were pretty cool.

Worf

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We're showing "Double Indemnity" this weekend, which I've already seen about a thousand times, so the story has long since lost any interest for me. But pre-screening it today, I was struck yet again by how utterly ridiculous Barbara Stanwyck is in that hair, which makes her look for all the world like a drag queen attending a 1940s costume party. (Even though the picture is supposed to be set in 1938.)

hatguy1

One Too Many
I'm not sure why, but I keep getting drawn back into watching my DVR'd "The Monuments Men." I've read the book it was based on (twice; once before I saw the movie and once after). I remember being disappointed in the movie after I saw it the first time. But after having reread the book a few months ago, I have a deeperbut unexplained appreciation for the movie.

I realize it is heavily fictionalized (for example, none of the characters are real but rather "composites" of real life people) and sort of seems to lose its way part way thru. I realize from reading the book that the movie just barely scratched the surface of the monumental (pardon the pun) effort of the army's "Arts and Archives" troops and so on. But...for some strange reason (maybe I have a secret art fetish) I keep turning it on and watching it.

We're showing "Double Indemnity" this weekend, which I've already seen about a thousand times, so the story has long since lost any interest for me. But pre-screening it today, I was struck yet again by how utterly ridiculous Barbara Stanwyck is in that hair, which makes her look for all the world like a drag queen attending a 1940s costume party. (Even though the picture is supposed to be set in 1938.)

Every once in awhile, I'm watching a movie I know well and something like that strikes me. For example, in "No More Ladies" Joan Crawford plays a society woman who, at at some point in the movie, wears a blouse whose collar is - and I kid you not - effectively a 1 foot long by 1.5 foot wide shelf under her chin. My girlfriend says it was an "out-there" style at the time (I forget the name of the collar, but the style had one), but it is absolutely, totally ridiculous.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
"The Monuments Men." I realize from reading the book that the movie just barely scratched the surface...

The 2011 Gurlitt trove find in Munich revealed surviving Chagall, Renoir, Matisse, Picasso and other stolen works of valid provenance.
The legal entanglement is currently before the German courts. Fascinating epilogue to this story.

I'm not sure why, but I keep getting drawn back into watching my DVR'd "The Monuments Men." I've read the book it was based on (twice; once before I saw the movie and once after). I remember being disappointed in the movie after I saw it the first time. But after having reread the book a few months ago, I have a deeperbut unexplained appreciation for the movie.

I realize it is heavily fictionalized (for example, none of the characters are real but rather "composites" of real life people) and sort of seems to lose its way part way thru. I realize from reading the book that the movie just barely scratched the surface of the monumental (pardon the pun) effort of the army's "Arts and Archives" troops and so on. But...for some strange reason (maybe I have a secret art fetish) I keep turning it on and watching it.

It was the ending scene that really makes that movie---it was worth it.......

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Belle - Very well done historical drama with a host of great familiar Brit actors: Tom Wilkinson, Matthew Goode, Penelope Wilton, Miranda Richardson, etc. Reminiscent of Jane Austen in its depiction of late-1700s class/marriage issues.

However, I found it hard to feel much sympathy for the mixed-race heroine, who is raised as a near-equal on a sumptuous estate and experiences relatively little, and relatively benign, prejudice. Sure, it's not fair that she's not treated as fully equal for her color, and her influencing of her great-uncle (Wilkinson) to strike a blow for abolition in the court case he's ruling on provides interesting drama. But she lives as a lady of enormous privilege, better off than ninety-something percent of the British populace, is loved and treated respectfully by her noble relations, and ends up with a good man... making it a bit hard to feel that she's been ill-treated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy