Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

basbol13

A-List Customer
Oh come on now Judi Dench? You mean Aereon in the Chronicles of Riddick? Let's talk about real actresses like Olivia de Havilland, Joan Fontaine, Katherine Hepburn, Jean Harlow, Carole Lombard, Ingred Bergman, Bette Davis, Vivien Leigh, Greta Garbo, Barbra Stanwyck..... the list can go on and on before coming near to Judi Dench???? Actresses Judi isn't worthy to even polish their Prada's.

Oh come on now Judi Dench? You mean Aereon in the Chronicles of Riddick? Let's talk about real actresses like Olivia de Havilland, Joan Fontaine, Katherine Hepburn, Jean Harlow, Carole Lombard, Ingred Bergman, Bette Davis, Vivien Leigh, Greta Garbo, Barbra Stanwyck..... the list can go on and on before coming near to Judi Dench???? Actresses Judi isn't worthy to even polish their Prada's.

Agreed. I can't stand her myself. Any of the others you listed would be just fine. Hepburn and Stanwyck are a little lower on that totem pole though. ;p

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up

Sorry, but I completely disagree. I quite lke Judi. :)

Worf

I'll Lock Up
That was my thinking as well. :D

Of course someone with almost 55 THOUSAND posts in one place is bound to warp the fabric of a place. I'm sure at least a third of those posts were spent berating our hairy brethren.... The "Freestyle Anti-Defamation League" and the "Sons and Daughters of Woodstock" had had enough.... that's why you can't use that word round here no more....

Worf

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Agreed. I can't stand her myself. Any of the others you listed would be just fine. Hepburn and Stanwyck are a little lower on that totem pole though. ;p

I only like Hepburn when I'm doing an imitation of her, which I do often and without provocation, really I do. But Stanwyck is some pumpkins as far as I'm concerned -- tough, took no crap from anybody, and managed to survive being married to Frank Fay without killing him.

Dench is good when she has good material, but I think her local cult exists largely because the bulk of our audience likes seeing someone like themselves on the screen. They aren't Dames, in the Honours List sense of the word, but they all act like they are.

I only like Hepburn when I'm doing an imitation of her, which I do often and without provocation, really I do. But Stanwyck is some pumpkins as far as I'm concerned -- tough, took no crap from anybody, and managed to survive being married to Frank Fay without killing him.

Dench is good when she has good material, but I think her local cult exists largely because the bulk of our audience likes seeing someone like themselves on the screen. They aren't Dames, in the Honours List sense of the word, but they all act like they are.

Hepburn is always Hepburn - meaning that I don't see her absorbed into the role, it is also Hepburn playing a role - but she is one of the actors that almost pulls that off. Nobody does that better than Cary Grant. He's always Cary Grant playing whomever, but you don't care, it works. Spencer Tracy is the opposite - he becomes the character and it never feels to me like he is acting - I forget it's Tracy playing whomever, he's just the character

I think Grant is just so darn likable (not talking about his personal life, but just how he appears on screen) that you simply don't care when Grant peaks through his character. Hepburn can come across as shrill and hard (again, not talking about who they really are, just how they feel on screen), so sometimes her lack of ability to be absorbed in the role is noticeable and irritating.

Stanwyck is the actress I always compare to Tracy - she becomes the character she is playing and you don't see Stanwyck anymore. That is, IMHO, what a great actor can do. Despite being a huge Stanwyck fan, even including her time on "The Big Valley" where her acting so outclassed her fellow actors on the show it was embarrassing, I don't know anything about her personal life, but will now look up her relationship to Frank Fay.

Interesting observation on Dench. I think she is a talented actress, but she also gets many of the great roles for women in her age bracket and there aren't that many of those roles. But now that you put the thought in my mind, it seems to me that it is women who seem to sing her praises the most.

Of course someone with almost 55 THOUSAND posts in one place is bound to warp the fabric of a place. I'm sure at least a third of those posts were spent berating our hairy brethren.... The "Freestyle Anti-Defamation League" and the "Sons and Daughters of Woodstock" had had enough.... that's why you can't use that word round here no more....

Worf

:eusa_clap

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I only like Hepburn when I'm doing an imitation of her, which I do often and without provocation, really I do.

I have known women of the Hepburn caliber that is attractive in the beginning, but not having the qualities of a Tracy,
my patience or tolerance, would wear down over a period of time !
Betty Bacall, now that was a lady with class. Same with Stanwyck.
I had the privilege of meeting them when I worked for Jack Warner.

Last edited:

basbol13

A-List Customer

Dench is good when she has good material??? Whose choice is that? What does it tell you about an actress the caliber of Dench? It tells me that she's done a lot of poor films like the Chronicles of Riddick. Now seriously what kind of performance was that. It seems she does a lot of poor performances. All I know Charles Manson has a cult following too so what your saying is that a lot of people see themselves in Charles and he isn't a Dame like Dench.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
No, what I'm saying is a lot of elderly upper-middle-class white women like to see an elderly upper-middle-class white woman on screen. Bonus points if she's British, because that reminds them of watching Masterpiece Theatre in the '70s.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Dench is good when she has good material??? Whose choice is that? What does it tell you about an actress the caliber of Dench? It tells me that she's done a lot of poor films like the Chronicles of Riddick. Now seriously what kind of performance was that. It seems she does a lot of poor performances. All I know Charles Manson has a cult following too so what your saying is that a lot of people see themselves in Charles and he isn't a Dame like Dench.

Uh, sheesh. We can have opinions still, right? So you don't like Judi Dench; fine. I do. Accept it and move on. :) :) :)

I do like Barbara Stanwyck - I always think of my grandmother when I see Stanwyck on-screen. They look a bit alike and my grandmother has an awful lot of gumption - and she's tough as nails.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
The Heat with Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy. Ugh. Well, I had heard it was really funny; but it wasn't. It was only mildly funny.

:rofl:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot