Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

CopperNY

A-List Customer
fortworthgal said:
I heard that, but I also heard that MGM's financial problems have delayed it indefinitely. I hope that's true... I can't stomach the idea of a remake.

and this time it is the Chinese invading.... [huh]

Annichen

Familiar Face
Star Dust 1940

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033100/

DM5DSrPxeh3OZWh.jpg

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Just watched a flick about a guy named Jones who wears a battered fedora, leather jacket and work boots and drives a canvas-covered truck while fighting a bunch of thugs who would later be our enemy during WWII.

Of course, I'm talking about China with Alan Ladd:

5044612912_1bd76d7da4.jpg

It's a typical 40's propaganda piece, but the production values are pretty good, especially the opening dolly shot of William Bendix wandering through a village as it's being bombed. John Farrow directed, with Loretta Young getting top billing.

cotillion

New in Town
Sunset Blvd (1950) - classic Film Noir although I do wish some of those old Film Noir were in color so I could check out the color palettes of their outfits ;)

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
...aaaaand just finished The Street With No Name (1948) with Mark Stevens getting top billing over Lloyd Nolan and Richard Widmark. Very good, in the same style as The House on 92nd Street. All the actors were in snappy lids and wearing topcoats the size of circus tents. Widmark did his psycho gangster character as only he could do. The crazyangry expression on his face when his cheap blonde wife slaps him was so intense that I stopped the movie and played it again so Mrs. H watch it.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We just hosted a festival screening of "Marwencol," a very unusual documentary about a man who, after being beaten into brain damage by a gang of hoods outside a bar, seeks physical and emotional refuge in a 1/6 scale model of a WW2-era Belgian town, populated by entirely by customized GI Joes and Barbies. He meticulously stages scenes acting out a continuing storyline about the town, photographs the scenes -- and his photos are discovered by the Manhattan art crowd, who turn him into their Latest Thing. Except he isn't sure he wants to be that.

A fascinating story on many levels. Opens in NYC next week, and in other theatres around the country later in the month.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
1962's "How The West Was Won" I found it very interesting, in a good way. However, I didn't find it to be quite a good as I had excepted/hoped.

- Ian

MCPRE

Familiar Face
I finally saw Miracle at St Anna by Spike Lee, I thought it was a wonderful movie with a great plot. I guess it was a true event "Sant'Anna di Stazzema atrocity" but it was controversial to the Italians for its iterperetation of the historical event. I watched it with my Father who just lost one of his surviving WWII brothers last week. He had 3 brothers who served in that war, one who was killed in france shortly after surviving the Invasion of Normady and one who is hanging on.
My Uncle John that just passed had two Purple Hearts, needless to say I am very proud of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24