Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
The Velvet Touch (1948) with Rosalind Russell, Claire Trevor, and a host of others. Sort of a cross between a noir and All About Eve in its depiction of Broadway theatre folk. Interestingly, an all-male group sings over the opening and closing credits a semi-romantic song in the style of the "I Married Joan" theme song.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Kronos (1957) with Jeff Morrow, a bunch of unrecognizables, and Morris Ankrum in the Morris Ankrum role (general, scientist, corporate head). Bad aliens drop thing into ocean off Mexico. Thing gets huge by eating our energy. I saw this a couple of times as kid in the 60's when local stations KHJ channel 9 and KTLA channel 5 ran this in the afternoons. Being young and totally into the big threat posed by the semi-cubular "energy vampire," I only last night got the sort of scientific rationale for all that was going on. Good effort by the film-makers to try and make the story believable.

Lots of cutaways to documentary footage of V2 style missles drawn by tractors, jet fighter-bombers, and a-bomb explosions. I also neglected to notice in the 60s that there were basically four lab workers in sprawling complex the size of a Boeing plant.

The characters got to wear jump suits with "Labcentral" embroided across the back in cool script, a la "Dodgers."

C44Antelope

One of the Regulars
Three Texas Steers - One of the "3 Mesquiteers" movies from Republic. Stars John Wayne as Stony Brook. If you've overlooked this gem this long - just keep overlooking it. It's definitely NOT the Searchers, Stagecoach, Red River - etc.

CopperNY

A-List Customer
some Bond: "You Only Live Twice" (1967).

on the big screen, at the recently resotred Capitol Theater in Rome,NY.

interior.jpg

for Halloween they had the silent "Phantom of the Opera" with live accompaniment on the 1920's Moller organ. :)

Photoss

New in Town
The Ghost and the Darkness.
Pretty good! Kinda surprised me, it popped up on netflix and I thought: "Hmm, why not, I'm not doing anything currently..."

CopperNY

A-List Customer
The Ghost and the Darkness.
Pretty good! Kinda surprised me, it popped up on netflix and I thought: "Hmm, why not, I'm not doing anything currently..."

definitely a quality "sleeper". i've watched it probably ten times, and would see it again.

where i think it gets it's power is that there is no need for "made up" monsters, when nature can be just as relentless.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
On cable, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus - another mega-bizarre Terry Gilliam film, but I liked it enough to watch it twice. It's kind of a mess, and not everything in it works, but it's certainly interesting.

Ironically, I thought that Heath Ledger's (final) performance was just about the weakest thing in it - Johnny Depp, Jude Law, and Colin Farrell were all more interesting in their interpretations of the same role. Nice work by Christopher Plummer, Tom Waits, the adorable Lily Cole, and Andrew Garfield (and you know: based on his performance here, he seems a pretty good choice for Spider-Man... not that I have any desire to see a rebooted Spider-Man series!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy