Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Went to see The Imitation Game on Sunday evening. Fascinating story, and strieks the perfect balance between not over-labouring a point and not shying away from either the appalling way in which Turing was treated, or the risible way in which he received a pardon owing to his work at Bletchley, while none such is forthcoming for others similarly victimised.

If the movie sparked an interest, there is a very good biography on Netflix on Alan Turning called "Codebreaker." And, yes, to your comments - which is also covered well in the biography.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
"The Dead Lands" on an Air NZ flight to NZ the day before yesterday. Set in pre-European NZ, the story of a young Maori chief son's quest for revenge on those who killed his father. Beautifully filmed, well acted, ultra violent - even in the semi-censored plane version. I loved it.

[video=youtube;HaXxVKEtlIg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaXxVKEtlIg[/video]

Last edited:

DesertDan

One Too Many
I concur.... that rare, VERY rare example of a remake as good as the original. But Carpenter only managed this feat by making a COMPLETELY different movie than the first. Only the setting and the title are the same. Everything else is brand spanking new!

Worf

Well not exactly all new. JC's version is much closer to the original J. Campbell story "Who Goes There?" that the movies are based on.

The real German tank helped things and the fight with the three Shermans was a little off the era statistics though. The stats of the age said it took FIVE Shermans to take down one Panzer.
I saw a WWII documentary not long ago in which they were discussing the uneven match between German and American tanks, and a German gent said something to the effect of, "One of our tanks could eliminate ten of yours. The problem was that you Americans always brought eleven." lol

b
I saw a WWII documentary not long ago in which they were discussing the uneven match between German and American tanks, and a German gent said something to the effect of, "One of our tanks could eliminate ten of yours. The problem was that you Americans always brought eleven." lol

The German tank was superior but they made them so complex that they could not and did not want to mass produce them. Every 6th tank they produced had several upgrades that they introduced along the way so that parts interchangeabilty was non-existant. You can knock our consumer society with its assembly lines etc. but that same infrastructure here made it possible to put out that many tanks, plane, guns etc.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Went to see The Imitation Game on Sunday evening. Fascinating story, and strieks the perfect balance between not over-labouring a point and not shying away from either the appalling way in which Turing was treated, or the risible way in which he received a pardon owing to his work at Bletchley, while none such is forthcoming for others similarly victimised.

Need to see this.

bond_323

New in Town

The wife and I are looking forward to seeing this soon. It sounds fascinating.

Just finished watching the 1951 noir "Strangers on a Train" for the first time. Great flick, highly recommended.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Jinxed. Not the best movie, but, I could identify with the lead caricature! Maybe my family was cursed by a witch? Would account for so much, especially the cat in the basement!

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
The last movie I saw was the most recent Hunger Games movie, Mockingjay. I did not select this movie, at times one must sacrifice to appease the other half. I would not recommend this movie. I have not read the books and I can easily predict what is going to happen in these movies. Save your dollars.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Forgotten Pistolero 1969. If you haven't seen it, you haven't missed much. I forgot how many tried to capitalize on the Spaghetti western genre, and failed!

MPW-47306

Awesome. lol lol

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Separate Tables" - Multiple Oscar winner for cast members and a well written and directed stage play adaptation. David Niven and Burt Lancaster are good but its the women in the cast that steal the show. Excellent film which looks at adult problems head on and forthrightly. Somehow I never managed to see this one before.

Worf

Worf, "Separate Tables" is one of my top-ten favorite movies. I've seen it (I'm guessing) five or six times and I get something more out of it each time: I'll see a nuance in a relationship, a character trait or subtle hint that I missed before. Also, so many characters are so well developed, that it is fun to watch the movie from a particular character's experience. And the women do steal the show - taking nothing away from Niven (who played against type and did an awesome job) or Lancaster - but for my money, Wendy Hillard as the inn-keeper gives and incredibly nuanced performance and Gladys Cooper as the over-bearing, bossy mother owns every scene she is in.

The Play was written by Terrance Rattigan who also wrote two other plays "The Winslow Boy" and the "Browning Version" that were turned into successful movies (and other plays as well). He had a talent for getting inside human psyche and situations and bringing out the nuances and emotions that drive human interaction. I'm glad you enjoyed it - I'm betting you will enjoy it even more the next time you see it.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
^^^^^ Ah HA!!!! I LOVE "The Browning Version" so it doesn't surprize me that the same author did this work. I should've known with the Latin Professor waiting in vain for a former student who never comes.... I see Mr. Rattigan specializes in post-war stories wherein the last of "Old School Tie" preconceptions are being swept away. Thanks for your assessment my friend.

Worf

PS it's not nice to tease people with pictures of realy NY City thin crust. I can practically see the olive oil dripping as it fold it in half and lift it to my mouth.... Of course it's not real NY thin if you don't burn the skin offin' the roof of yer mouth!

Last edited:
^^^^^ Ah HA!!!! I LOVE "The Browning Version" so it doesn't surprize me that the same author did this work. I should've known with the Latin Professor waiting in vain for a former student who never comes.... I see Mr. Rattigan specializes in post-war stories wherein the last of "Old School Tie" preconceptions are being swept away. Thanks for your assessment my friend.

Worf

PS it's not nice to tease people with pictures of realy NY City thin crust. I can practically see the olive oil dripping as it fold it in half and lift it to my mouth.... Of course it's not real NY thin if you don't burn the skin offin' the roof of yer mouth!

One of my absolute favorite things about living in NYC Is that you are never more than a few blocks away from a really good slice of thin curst pizza with, as you said, molten, roof-of-the-mouth-burning cheese. This particular slice is from Gotham Pizza on 88th and 1st Avenue which is right across the street from a great old German bakery that I frequent. Hence, I get a slice of pizza and a soda and, then, bring home some wonderful chocolate chip cookies for later (and maybe eat one walking home as well :)).

A few weeks back, the slice looked so good that I had to snap a picture of it and, then, I thought - that is a good avatar.

Rattigan was a really talented guy. Keep your eye out for "The Winslow Boy" - I'll let you know if I see it coming up.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Last week we kicked off Christmas by setting up and decorating the tree, and by watching Miracle on 34th Street. Missus Hood wanted to watch it because the story starts on Thanksgiving Day and the movie provides a sort of a seamless segue into Christmas.

More recently we watched Holiday Inn (the colorized version).

We have to ration the movies because Christmas guests will be coming later and we want to watch a bunch together.

Last week we kicked off Christmas by setting up and decorating the tree, and by watching Miracle on 34th Street. Missus Hood wanted to watch it because the story starts on Thanksgiving Day and the movie provides a sort of a seamless segue into Christmas.

More recently we watched Holiday Inn (the colorized version).

We have to ration the movies because Christmas guests will be coming later and we want to watch a bunch together.

"Holiday Inn" (with the exception of a few no-longer-acceptable scenes) is a very enjoyable movie. If you are looking for any suggestions - each year, the girlfriend and I watch "Holiday Affair," and "The Bishop's Wife" and we usually catch "Christmas in Connecticut" "A Night to Remember," and one of the the better versions of "A Christmas Carol."

Worf

I'll Lock Up
^^^ I don't get including "A Night to Remember" in a list of "holiday cheer" films? Was Santa on The Titanic? I used to watch "It's a Wonderful Life", I even bought the Blu-Ray multi-disk but the ole lady took it to the local Psych hospital and I've not seen it since and it's been 3 or 4 years now. Dag nabit!

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails