Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

"St. Vincent." Was it mawkish, cliched, predictable and too-polished - yes. Should I have enjoyed it - no. Did I - yes. Why - Bill Murray. I'll admit that I thought nothing of him in the '80s (too slapstick for my taste), but he has proved me very wrong over the ensuing decades. He engages in a role with an intensity that works (he's not a laid back actor). And he has that something that all the very good ones have - you want to see them on screen / you care about what happens to them.

The story is conventional, but his relationship with his overly aware, mature-beyong-his-years neighbor's boy (I said it was cliched) is the core of the movie and works - you can feel the boy gaining confidence from Murray and Murray reconnecting to life through the boy. The supporting cast all do a very good job - Melissa McCarthy underplays her role well for a change, Naomi Watts was enjoyable, other than watching her have a bit of a struggle with the Russian accent and Chris O'Dowd was fun as the almost manic priest. But it is Murray's movie and he carries it forward through dint of will and personality.

It's a fun hour-and-a-half diversion that rises a bit above its off-the-shelve construct.

Stand By

One Too Many
"The Black Hole" (1979) - it was Disney's first ever film that wasn't a U certificate - it was released as an A certificate (a PG today) in those days and was Disney's jump on the Star Wars/space sci-fi bandwagon.
I saw it as a 12 year old and loved it then - and built the models of the robots and collected the bubblegum cards and whatnot.
Felt nostalgic and decided to try it again … and it's very good! I read somewhere that it was described as a film that couldn't decide if it was for an adult audience or kids … after Saturday, I'd say it's that's quite accurate (it's only the two robots V.I.N.CENT and Old B.O.B. that offer something for the kids - and don't over-do it). A nice John Barry score plus very good miniature effects and big stages … I thoroughly enjoyed it again.

P.S. And I realize now that I shouldn't have built the models of the robots as a kid - just stashed them safely under the bed and let them gather harmless dust. You should see what they sell for today on eBay. Eye-watering prices that are simply cost-prohibitive! Who knew?!

Last edited:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
The Breaking Point on TCM. Entertaining, nicely shot, John Garfield, Hemingway.
:D
I keep thinking I saw it on late-night TV many years ago, long before cable and TCM. Is there a moment when Garfield's character fastens a gun and holster underneath the lip of a cabin on his boat?

"The Black Hole" (1979) - it was Disney's first ever film that wasn't a U certificate - it was released as an A certificate (a PG today) in those days and was Disney's jump on the Star Wars/space sci-fi bandwagon...
The Black Hole is still one of my favorite Disney movies, flaws and all. I can still remember sitting in the theater in 1979, seeing the demise of Anthony Perkins' character, and thinking, "That was pretty graphic for a Disney movie." Of course, it was quite tame by everyone else's standards.

And, yeah, those model kits have increased ridiculously in price. Like you, I bought and built them (the two robots, anyway) way back when, but those are long gone. I replaced them when their prices were still somewhat reasonable, but haven't gotten around to building them yet.

sergejvandervreede

One Too Many
Currently watching Little Caesar (1931) on TCM. Some of the dialogue and scenes are a little ham-fisted by today's standards, but it's easy to see why it was so popular and why so many believe it was responsible for starting the "gangster picture" craze of the early 1930s.

If you liked that one, you should see the Original Scarface (1932) Paul Muni is absolutely brilliant (and Boris Karloff gets to play a gangster!)

Stand By

One Too Many
The Black Hole is still one of my favorite Disney movies, flaws and all. I can still remember sitting in the theater in 1979, seeing the demise of Anthony Perkins' character, and thinking, "That was pretty graphic for a Disney movie." Of course, it was quite tame by everyone else's standards.

And, yeah, those model kits have increased ridiculously in price. Like you, I bought and built them (the two robots, anyway) way back when, but those are long gone. I replaced them when their prices were still somewhat reasonable, but haven't gotten around to building them yet.

Oh yes, seeing Anthony Perkins being filleted was absolutely the last thing I expected as a kid - as it was Disney, my comfort zone just wasn't expecting that!
And like all good films, no fake blood required - just fine acting (and a character you have empathy for) plus good sound effects do the job perfectly - and the imagination does the rest.

You have the kits?! Please let me know if you ever feel like selling them and giving them a new, appreciative home …! Thanks!

Last edited:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Yep. Two guns and holsters: pretty smart move.
:D
A local new-car dealer here back in 1965 got the idea to sponsor a movie series late on Friday nights called "Pajama Drama" -- used a cartoon of the dealer in a nightshirt and nightcap and carrying a candle to bed, like Mr. Scrooge. No commercials! They gave you a bit of a blurb about the dealership (an Olds shop, I think it was) at the beginning and at the end, if you were still awake for it, but nothing in between. Quite neat for late-night TV.

For years I thought the version with Bogart, "To Have and Have Not," was the film, but I was sure John Garfield was in it too. Now I know the difference.

If you liked that one, you should see the Original Scarface (1932) Paul Muni is absolutely brilliant (and Boris Karloff gets to play a gangster!)
Scarface is already on my list of "I have to see these one of these days" movies. I saw Brian De Palma's 1983 remake once, and that was more than enough for me.

...You have the kits?! Please let me know if you ever feel like selling them and giving them a new, appreciative home …! Thanks!
Sure. $1,000 each. :D

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Mr. Holmes" - A solid if unremarkable British effort depicting the great detective in his waning years. The story revolves around Holmes trying to remember the particulars of his last case... the case who's disastrous conclusion made him give up sleuthing for the last 30 years of his life. The cast is solid and the direction adequate but the film never seems to "catch fire". This is a Netflix or HBO offering. We originally wen to see "The Man From Uncle" but I got talked into this instead as Puddin' didn't want to see any UNCLE movie sans Mr. Macullum as Ilya. Sigh....

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner