Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Marlowe P.

One of the Regulars
Dinerman said:
I saw Millers Crossing last night down at the AFI, in the 1938 silver theater

God, I love that movie. What other movie is the hat almost a character in the movie?...

Tom Reagan: Dream I had once. I was walkin' in the woods, I don't know why. Wind came up and blew me hat off.

Verna: And you chased it, right? You ran and ran, finally caught up to it and you picked it up. But it wasn't a hat anymore and it changed into something else, something wonderful.

Tom Reagan: Nah, it stayed a hat and no, I didn't chase it. Nothing more foolish than a man chasin' his hat.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
You'll Find Out

A friend of mine just turned me on to Kay Kyser's flick, You'll Find Out. Cute little ditty with Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff, and Peter Lorre.

Kay Kyser and his orchestra are hired to entertain at the birthday party of a young heiress at a creepy old mansion, where they uncover a plot against her life. Who is the villain? You'll find out.

Quite predictable -- even the jokes, but still entertaining none-the-less.

I loved the clothes most of all!

PenMan

Familiar Face
I watched Beat the Devil, with Humphrey Bogart, Jennifer Jones and Gina Lollobrigida. I never knew how beautiful the latter woman was.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
I watched Less than Zero the other day, knowing full well just how awful it is, and felt just as disappointed the first time I watched it. I love the book (I am a big Bret Easton Ellis fan) and as a film idea/plot this had great potential but it is just so poorly executed and acted. Such a shame!

I've ordered A Yank In The RAF so am looking forward to marvelling at Miss Grable!

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
PenMan said:
I watched Beat the Devil, with Humphrey Bogart, Jennifer Jones and Gina Lollobrigida. I never knew how beautiful the latter woman was.

Beat the Devil is uniquely droll spoof comedy. Not everyone "gets" it, but those who do tend to like the movie a whole lot, as I do.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Twitch said:
Get this from Netflix- Ms .45. It was the original from about 1976 for the remake Jody Foster The Brave One recently released.
I'll check this one out. I just watched "The Brave One" and liked it. I didn't realize it was a re-make. Thanks!

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Some recent viewings:

Gone Baby Gone -- There is a central implausibility in Dennis Lehane's source novel that pretty much wrecks the denouement, which is too bad for the movie, because up till then it's fine work, a solid debut by Ben Affleck in a directorial role. The casting of Ben's brother Casey Affleck in the lead, which might look nepotistic, is actually strikingly successful. Casey Affleck is anything but a conventional leading man, and this movie is immeasurably better for it.

The Narrow Margin -- Lives up to its reputation as a great film noir in every respect. The plotting here -- I'll put this vaguely so as not to spoil -- is spectacularly effective.

The Eel -- Shohei Imamura's 1997 film, which won the Palme d'Or at Cannes, is a calmly effective study of an ordinary man who kills his wife in a fit of jealousy, and how he adjusts afterward. In the tradition of the great Japanese humanist cinema.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Josef Von Sternberg's 1952 classic "Macao" with Jane Russell and Robert Mitchum. Certainly not a masterpiece, but very entertaining and carried well by the chemistry between Mitchum and Russell. Definitely worth seeing!

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
KittyT said:
Josef Von Sternberg's 1952 classic "Macao" with Jane Russell and Robert Mitchum. Certainly not a masterpiece, but very entertaining and carried well by the chemistry between Mitchum and Russell. Definitely worth seeing!

This movie had a very troubled shoot. According to a recent biography of Mitchum, the star didn't get along with Sternberg at all, and the film's producer eventually tossed the veteran director off the set, bringing in NIcholas Ray to complete the picture and do extensive re-shoots of what was already in the can. So this is a film where the official directorial credit is misleading.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Patrick Murtha said:
Some recent viewings:

The Eel -- Shohei Imamura's 1997 film, which won the Palme d'Or at Cannes, is a calmly effective study of an ordinary man who kills his wife in a fit of jealousy, and how he adjusts afterward. In the tradition of the great Japanese humanist cinema.

I have that on DVD and have watched it several times now. Heck, I may go watch it again.... I love good Japanese cinema. Have you seen 'Nobody Knows'?

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I just watched Wes Anderson's 'Darjeeling Limited' last night. It was just released on DVD last week. I have all his quirky films (Rushmore, Life Aquatic...). His films are sort of 'like-em or hate-em.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Quigley Brown said:
I have that on DVD and have watched it several times now. Heck, I may go watch it again.... I love good Japanese cinema. Have you seen 'Nobody Knows'?

I haven't seen that one yet, but I'll bump it up the list. I love Japanese cinema inordinately. I'm halfway through Ozu's Tokyo Twilight, which I'll finish tonight. It's fascinating -- it was his least popular mature film because it's emotionally brutal. Midway through there's an upsetting scene at an abortion clinic -- so much for all Ozu films being essentially the same genteel film!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Patrick Murtha said:
This movie had a very troubled shoot. According to a recent biography of Mitchum, the star didn't get along with Sternberg at all, and the film's producer eventually tossed the veteran director off the set, bringing in NIcholas Ray to complete the picture and do extensive re-shoots of what was already in the can. So this is a film where the official directorial credit is misleading.

Very interesting, thanks for the info!

Marlowe P.

One of the Regulars
Matchpoint About a incredibly good looking guy who wants to be incredibly good looking and rich. So he hangs out with a bunch incredibly good looking and incredibly rich people. Has an affair with my future ex-wife and drama ensues. This all takes place in London.
I did enjoy it and it seems like it was a comeback for Woody Allen of sorts.

30 DAYS OF NIGHT - Vampires Strike Alaska

I had seen the trailers and TV ads for this and thought it would be pretty good. A band of vampires strikes an isolated Alaskan town that is experiencing the artic winter night where the sun does not re-appear for an entire month, giving them free reign. This was pretty scary although I did not like the ending much so 90% of the film is pretty tense with a hunker down attitude similar to John Carpenter's version of The Thing.

Good & Scary.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Marlowe said:
Matchpoint About a incredibly good looking guy who wants to be incredibly good looking and rich. So he hangs out with a bunch incredibly good looking and incredibly rich people. Has an affair with my future ex-wife and drama ensues. This all takes place in London.
I did enjoy it and it seems like it was a comeback for Woody Allen of sorts.

You have a gift for plot summary. That really nails it!

Woody got his best reviews in years for Match Point. It's a sharp piece of work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran