Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Wooster

New in Town
Karakter (1997) (english: Character)

A dutch movie, set in the city of Rotterdam during the 1920's.
It's a good movie, and worth a watch.

Kassia

One of the Regulars
Last night be watched Batman with Michael Keeton..
I love the sets and the costumes in it!! I love Vicki Vales appartment and wish i could have something like that too,....

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fletch said:
Swing High, Swing Low (1937). Carole Lombard, Fred MacMurray. Nice light fun, but 35 minutes so far and not one iota of swing. Lousy print too - looks like it's being projected onto a Turkish towel.

I'm with you, Fletch. The picture AND sound are lousy.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I dunno if Arthur Kennedy is in Charade, but George Kennedy sure as hell is.
charade282.jpg

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Atonement. I know lots of folks here love this film, but as I've often said, I'm a tough room.

I thought it was too long, too impressed with itself, and downright self-indulgent (e.g., the four-minute single take in the Dunkirk scene didn't transport me to the horror of the war, it just called attention to itself as an intricate camera/staging stunt). The acting was a mixed bag, and I remain unimpressed with too-skinny Keira Knightley. The film kept insisting that it was about love, but only showed sexual passion. I found the use of a typewriter as a percussion instrument in the score annoying and uneffective. And for me, the Rashomon-ish restaging of a couple of sequences from different POVs threw off the pacing more than it illuminated the story.

I will say that the last-act revelation was an effective, shocking surprise, but I was pretty much fed up with the picture by the time it came. Perhaps if the film hadn't tried so hard to be "an epic love story set in dangerous times" (which, as it turns out, isn't the central point anyway) I would have liked it more.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I just started "Hangover Square" with Laird Cregar and one of my favorites, Linda Darnell. I haven't seen it before but I've read quite a bit about this one.
The film was one of the "cursed" films you often hear about.
Laird Cregar died soon after filming of a heart attack at age 31 and Linda Darnell was killed in a house fire. Weirdly enough she was disposed of in a fire in this movie as well. The movie was part of a collection called "Fox Horror Classics". So far its been pretty good!

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I finished "Hangover Square". Go rent it or borrow it, but maybe don't buy it.
Linda Darnell was very pretty, Laird was good but....there are other less predictable horror flicks to watch. The hats and coats were cool.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Akubra Man said:
I watched Open Range last night. It was a real pleasure watching Kevin Costner, Robert Duval, Annette Benning act. They really know their craft well. :eusa_clap

OpenRange.jpg

I enjoyed the philosophy expressed ("there are things that gnaw at a man worse than dying") and, aside from the shotgun blowing people backwards, the realism of the gunfights.

Lots of missing at close range is the norm.

Gene Kelly as Will Kane in High Noon could have used a town that rose to support him as the town did for Duvall and Costner. He wouldn't have had cause or justification to ride off disgusted otherwise.

“But war, in a good cause, is not the greatest evil which a nation can suffer. War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse. When a people are used as mere human instruments for firing cannon or thrusting bayonets, in the service and for the selfish purposes of a master, such war degrades a people. A war to protect other human beings against tyrannical injustice – a war to give victory to their own ideas of right and good, and which is their own war, carried on for an honest purpose by their free choice – is often the means of their regeneration. A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. As long as justice and injustice have not terminated their ever-renewing fight for ascendancy in the affairs of mankind, human beings must be willing, when need is, to do battle for the one against the other.”

John Stuart Mill (1806-1873), “The Contest in America.” Harper's New Monthly Magazine, Volume 24, Issue 143, page 683-684. Harper & Bros., New York, April 1862.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
"The Clearing" with Robert Redford, Helen Mirren and Willem Dafoe. Not a bad flick, fairly intriguing. Wasn't the ending you quite expected, worth a watch.

Feraud

Bartender
Shockproof with Cornel Wilde. A "taking way too long to get to the point" one sided melodrama about a parole officer(Wilde) who takes a female convict under his wing. Meh. Terribly bland ending.

Outcast of the Islands with Trevor Howard, Ralph Richardson, and Robert Morely.
A well done Conrad adaptation. Howard plays the lout very well.

The Circus Queen Murder with Adolph Menjou. An entertaining murder mystery (actually not really such a mystery..) film set in a circus. Definitely worth seeing if you like classic detective/whodunit films.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart