Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Argee

One of the Regulars
Watched "Man of the Century" the other day. That's quite a unique movie. Too bad we'll never see the further adventures of Johnny Twenties.

Feraud

Bartender
^ That is my favorite Hitchcock movie.
The San Fran setting with it's long hilly streets is perfect for the unravelling of a man who we think has one illness(vertigo=dizzy,disoriented sensation) but suffers from something much darker. Jimmy Stewart is perfectly cast in the role of a man with obvious control issues who loses control over reality and himself. This is probably the best from Stewart.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
^ That is my favorite Hitchcock movie.
The San Fran setting with it's long hilly streets is perfect for the unravelling of a man who we think has one illness(vertigo=dizzy,disoriented sensation) but suffers from something much darker. Jimmy Stewart is perfectly cast in the role of a man with obvious control issues who loses control over reality and himself. This is probably the best from Stewart.

I think it's the perfect movie - great cast, plot, score, imagery, settings - and fantastic chemistry between Stewart and Novak.

I was in San Francisco on honeymoon in 2008 and we did our own Vertigo tour - we took in Fort Point, Palace of Fine Arts (which sadly had scaffolding up in places), 900 Lombard St (Scotty's apartment), Mission Dolores, Nob Hill (Madeleine's apartment), Mission San Juan Bautista (the grey horse is still there although looking a little worse for wear!) and the Empire Hotel (now renamed Hotel Vertigo). It was great to have the opportunity to see these locations looking pretty much as they were in Hitchcock's movie.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Veritgo is my favorite Hitchcock film too... actually, it's tied with Rear Window.

Brief comments on some other films that have been mentioned recently:

Three Days of the Condor - a perfect example of the disillusionment and paranoia of the immediate post-Wategate period. One of Sydney Pollack's best.

The Apartment - simply my favorite Billy Wilder film, and considering how many great films he made (The Lost Weekend, Sunset Boulevard, Ace In The Hole, Some Like It Hot, The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes, etc.), that's quite a statement.

Man of the Century - I just saw this for the first time recently. A hoot and a half - the best low-budget film I've seen in ages. (If I had continued as a filmmaker after my Super 8 and 16mm shorts of the 70s, this is just the kind of movie I'd have made myself!)

Werewolf of London - I also much prefer this one to the Lon Chaney, Jr. Wolf Man films, though it is a bit of a creaky antique in some ways. The music was later recycled endlessly in the Flash Gordon serials, and the passing-behind-the-columns transformation technique reused to great effect in the classic Twilight Zone episode "The Howling Man".

Feraud

Bartender
Agreed on Vertigo's cinematography, music, etc. Just wonderful.

My wife and I are also planning on doing our own Vertigo tour when in S.F.
There are a few websites that do "then and now" movie location comparison pics. The Vertigo shots are neat.

About Read Window.. what I find interesting about this film along with Vertigo is how terrible Jimmy Stewart treats women! lol
Whether it be Kim Novak in Vertigo as Judy being completely made over to represent Stewart's dead obsession or the beautiful, rich, classy but ultimately empty headed Grace Kelly treated like Stewart's one night stand (make that a booty call in modern parlance..) in Rear Window. I appreciate an actor who plays against type.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Despite the common perception of him as an aw-shucks Mr. Nice Guy, Stewart had a great dark side. It first surfaced in the fillibuster scene in Mr. Smith Goes To Washington, then was even clearer in the despondent moments of It's A Wonderful Life. And don't forget those Anthony Mann-directed 50s westerns - he's downright grim in those. He was a far more versatile and gutsy actor than many people realize!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
About Read Window.. what I find interesting about this film along with Vertigo is how terrible Jimmy Stewart treats women! lol
Whether it be Kim Novak in Vertigo as Judy being completely made over to represent Stewart's dead obsession or the beautiful, rich, classy but ultimately empty headed Grace Kelly treated like Stewart's one night stand (make that a booty call in modern parlance..) in Rear Window. I appreciate an actor who plays against type.

That's so true! I recall he wasn't that nice to Donna Reed either in parts of It's a Wonderful Life!

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Tuesday night at Noir City: Seattle

Red Light (1949)
George Raft and Virginia Mayo try to find the killer of Raft's chaplain/war hero brother. Raymond Burr and Harry Morgan play the heavies with special guest appearance by God.

Walk a Crooked Mile (1948)
A fairly mediocre police procedural with the FBI and Scotland Yard teaming up to stop communist spies at a US nuclear research facility. Worth watching for the homo-erotic tension between the two leads and the opportunities to make cracks about J. Edgar Hoover in a dress. Starring Raymond Burr in a chin beard.

Nathan

Familiar Face
Terry Gilliam anyone?

I just watched both The Fisher King and Brazil again....I'd forgotten how much I enjoy Terry Gilliam's movies.
I also watched Avatar again. Anyone else reminded of Disney's Pocahontas...cept in space...and with no singing.

Atomic

One of the Regulars
1941 Maltese Falcon. Had never seen it before and it comes up so much on this site that I decided to watch it. Good flick!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner