1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

What Was The Last Radio Program You Heard?

Discussion in 'Radio' started by LizzieMaine, Mar 22, 2015.

1. 3fingers

3fingers One Too Many

^^^ I saved your link. Sounds like a fun evening.

2. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

A few rehearsal shots for the upcoming broadcast.

46814202_2504076546299570_1451225335709302784_n.jpg

vitanola, 3fingers and Trenchfriend like this.
  3. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Doing some work as "The Lone Ranger" came on at 7 -- the episode of October 7, 1938, to be specific -- and laughed out loud when the villain of the episode was identified as a no-good thieving owlhoot named "Red Barber," a desperado meaner than a cage full of wildcats.

It would be about six months before Mr. Barber would turn up in the broadcast booth in Brooklyn, but he was already well known in the midwest for broadcasting Cincinnati Reds games, and even as the Lone Ranger was hunting him down, he was on his way to New York to broadcast Game 3 of the World Series from Yankee Stadium over NBC.

The Ol' Redhead sure got around. Wonder what Brother Al Helfer would think of that.

vitanola and 3fingers like this.
  4. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Yet more publicity for our upcoming broadcast.

Been doing press, TV and radio interviews for it all week, on top of trying to get all the tech stuff squared away and get another broken toilet fixed. I bet Fred Allen didn't have to fix Mr. Rockefeller's toilets.

vitanola likes this.
  5. 3fingers

3fingers One Too Many

Well shoot. I had just started listening to the "Strand Theater On The Air" broadcast when some people had the audacity to show up here. My wife told me on her way to the door that I needed to be sociable and turn it off.
    Hopefully it will be available somewhere else as an encore.

vitanola likes this.
  6. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

The station tells me they'll rebroadcast it soon -- when I find out when I'll post the date and time. We may also have a download available at some point thru our own website. Reviewing the aircheck, I was annoyed that the station cut over to us too early and carried the last bit of the warmup. The announcer didn't actually drop his pants.

We got a lot more response than I expected -- we had to turn people away at the door, and had listeners over the web feed from as far away as Hawaii and the UK. So evidently we did something that people liked, and we're already planning on doing it again next summer.

It'll take that long for my feet to stop hurting, having been on them continuously since 8 this morning.

vitanola and Trenchfriend like this.
  7. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

A candid shot taken during the broadcast.

48412494_2208430032509200_2360229368334123008_n.jpg

8. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

And one from the last rehearsal. The kids are waiting for their cues. They'd never actually heard a radio show before this, but they took to it like naturals.

48368891_10156182350423246_6209651106532818944_n.jpg

9. Julian Shellhammer

Julian Shellhammer A-List Customer

Please keep us posted on the availability of the download!
    As for listening rather than performing, commute time has been a mixture of Christmas songs and The Plot to Overthrow Christmas; parts are of sort of muddy, but Corwin's writing shines through.

vitanola likes this.
  10. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

It's going to be rebroadcast over WRFR and its internet stream -- http://s2.stationplaylist.com:7028/listen.mp3.m3u this Sunday afternoon at 4pm EST.

Work is now officially underway for another broadcast next summer. The station wants to do four a year, but I don't know if that's an option given the school schedules for the supporting cast. But time will tell.

11. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

12. 3fingers

3fingers One Too Many

I finally got a chance to listen to the Strand broadcast from start to finish. Excellent job by all involved. I'm looking forward to the next one.

LizzieMaine likes this.
  13. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

It's coming...

page 10.png

3fingers and Trenchfriend like this.