Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
The pilot and first episode of X Files. Enjoyable, I shall continue with the series. I never really got why most of my girlfriends were crazy over David Duchovny but the penny's starting it's descent!

I really like Gillian Anderson too, even though her suits give me flashbacks to the awful early 90's suits I used to wear to job interviews. It really is frightening how quickly clothes date.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Thanks to the miracle of DVDs (and Netflix!), I have a number of complete television series in progress -- although in some cases, the completion of my viewing depend upon all the seasons being issued, which is seldom a foregone conclusion.

I also can vacillate on whether I'm going to commit to a series. I watched the first episode of HBO's Spanish language serial killer series Epitafios the other night, for example, and I'm not sure I'm going to go the distance. Plus: the Buenos Aires setting (there's a city that fascinates me!). Minus: it seemed sort of sub-David Fincher. So I don't know. It was a library borrow so I have no sunk investment.

I'm also not sure whether I'm going to continue with Big Love (after viewing the first two episodes). It's well acted to be sure, but my problem is I just don't get it. My thinking was well captured by a poster at the Internet Movie Database:

One thing I don't get and I don't think is adequately explained is why would someone want more than one wife. The financial and other burdens are enormous, as the show illustrates. There are allusions to religious reasons, but that's about as far as it goes.

What is the upside? What would compel someone to do this? What is the motivation? What is the motivation for these women to enter into such an arrangement? These things go largely unexplored. What sane person would say I would like to buy three houses all in a row, make them a compound, have three wives (and then find three women willing to do this), have a bus load of children, and then spend most of my life trying to cover this up??

Someone who loves this show can explain to me why I shouldn't give up on it.

I have an especially warm relation to The Sopranos not because I am enamored of the mob lifestyle, but because I grew up in the area of northern New Jersey it (very accurately) depicts -- and because it is clearly at masterpiece level. Two nights ago I watched the twelfth and penultimate episode of the first season, "Isabella," and was mesmerized by it as I usually am. This episode has a particularly audacious "twist." There is also a scene between James Gandolfini and Lorraine Bracco in a parked car that is so heartbreakingly good, it in itself justifies the entire medium of television despite all the drivel the medium has perpetrated.

Series currently in progress:

The Sopranos
The Wild Wild West
Hill Street Blues
All Creatures Great and Small
Northern Exposure
Hawaii Five-O
Nero Wolfe
The Untouchables

Guilty pleasure in progress:

The Time Tunnel (I was a kid when this was first on; it made an impact and got me interested in history)

Completed viewings:

Upstairs Downstairs
Six Feet Under

(Two very great shows.)

Looking forward to starting:

St. Elsewhere
The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
(glad this is finally out)
The Avengers
Deadwood
Mad Men
Picket Fences
Oz
The Wire

Planned re-viewing:

Twin Peaks

zaika

One Too Many
imoldfashioned said:
The pilot and first episode of X Files. Enjoyable, I shall continue with the series. I never really got why most of my girlfriends were crazy over David Duchovny but the penny's starting it's descent!

I really like Gillian Anderson too, even though her suits give me flashbacks to the awful early 90's suits I used to wear to job interviews. It really is frightening how quickly clothes date.

ohhh. the x-files. much much love for the x-files and mr. duchovny. *sigh* and gillian anderson is an exquisite actress! i wish i could be her type of redhead.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I'm a nut for The History Channel's 'Modern Marvels.' Last night's episode was Strange Weapons. It included the 'puke light' that flashed an irregular super-bright strobing light that made the bad guy start feeling sick... Did you know that the military once came up with the idea of a 'gay bomb' that drops a bunch of aphrodesiacs to supposedly make the ememy soldiers get that sort of 'make love, not war' feeling? I tell ya....[huh]

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Re: Gillian Anderson's hair and coloring--you and me both Zaika!

I watched Lewis Black's Red, White and Screwed last night and laughed 'till I cried. I think he's so, so funny.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
imoldfashioned said:
I watched Lewis Black's Red, White and Screwed last night and laughed 'till I cried. I think he's so, so funny.

Good to know its a funny show. I adore Lewis Black! I still cant believe he has his own show!

LD

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:
Good to know its a funny show. I adore Lewis Black! I still cant believe he has his own show!

LD

He's one of my favorites--I always cheer when he's on The Daily Show. RW&S was a stand up performance, I haven't seen his show Root of All Evil yet. I was hoping they'd have audience tickets available but Comedy Central hasn't put anything up yet.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
imoldfashioned said:
He's one of my favorites--I always cheer when he's on The Daily Show. RW&S was a stand up performance, I haven't seen his show Root of All Evil yet. I was hoping they'd have audience tickets available but Comedy Central hasn't put anything up yet.

Doh I got them mixed up! :eusa_doh: I have quite a few of his comedy albums, so yeah he is a delight.

I may just have to download the show and take a listen.

LD

Jovan

Suspended
Diamondback said:
Firefly on DVD. Not much of a sci-fi fan, but lots of BFGs and authority problems are a recipe for success with me... plus, in spite of her perpetual cheeriness (or maybe because of it, even though I almost always regard such types with suspicion), Kaylee kinda grows on ya.
It's somewhat similar to Cowboy Bebop. I like both shows a lot, since they're basically westerns framed in science fiction context. Need I mention the awesome soundtracks, too?

Brinybay

Practically Family
Lately I've been watching more vintage movies and also TV shows. Last night I watched an episode from the old "Cheyenne" TV western starring Clint Walker.

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
Due South

Sitting here watching the Pilot to "Due South", got all 3 seasons on DVD awhile back and have watched them a bunch. Always liked this show when it was on TV, I was living up in Ellensburg WA at the time it was on the air, use to always drive to Roslyn (where they filmed Northern Exposure) to get pizza and when I got home I'd watch Due South.

Anyone else remember this series? Its the one about the Mountie that comes to Chicago to track down his fathers killer and ends up staying as a liaison, and teams up with the Chicago PD.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
rebelgtp said:
Sitting here watching the Pilot to "Due South", got all 3 seasons on DVD awhile back and have watched them a bunch. Always liked this show when it was on TV, I was living up in Ellensburg WA at the time it was on the air, use to always drive to Roslyn (where they filmed Northern Exposure) to get pizza and when I got home I'd watch Due South.

Anyone else remember this series? Its the one about the Mountie that comes to Chicago to track down his fathers killer and ends up staying as a liaison, and teams up with the Chicago PD.

I saw a few episodes when it was first on. I like the star, Paul Gross, who was an excellent Brian in the PBS mini-series Tales of the City. (If you haven't seen that, by the way, you owe yourself!)

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
Patrick Murtha said:
I saw a few episodes when it was first on. I like the star, Paul Gross, who was an excellent Brian in the PBS mini-series Tales of the City. (If you haven't seen that, by the way, you owe yourself!)

He was also on the Red Green show lol

Have you ever heard any of his music? Think he had released 2 cds that are basically impossible to find cause they were so limited release. if you go to youtube you can find a few videos with his music.

here is one
http://youtube.com/watch?v=M4lWGIlGZCY&feature=related

TessTrueheart

I watched season 3 of L Word yesterday. They stopped showing it here in Sweden after season two. They shouldn't have, it's really quite good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner