Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Hondo

One Too Many
imoldfashioned said:
He's one of my favorites--I always cheer when he's on The Daily Show. RW&S was a stand up performance, I haven't seen his show Root of All Evil yet. I was hoping they'd have audience tickets available but Comedy Central hasn't put anything up yet.

I like Lewis Black but his show isn't living up to the hype at least with me,
I find I like the Colbert Report more and more
I'm one in the Colbert Nation lol
Maybe my old age is showing but Jon Stewart isn't making me laugh as much as Stephen Colbert, Stewart gets on my nerves, I know its fake news, but he over does it for some reason, it’s not funny not with me anyways, but the Colbert Report hits the funny bone, this guy is absolutely hilarious, and he's smarter than Stewart. Any one see Stephen Colbert on 60 Minutes a while back? Got to love, admire the man, or his writers lol

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Welllll. . .

Hondo said:
I like Lewis Black but his show isn't living up to the hype at least with me

I'd have to agree that so far it hasn't (maybe it is my hype though- Lewis' stand up is among the absolute best, imho!!) :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Maybe the problem with this new show is there isn't enough Lewis!

Hondo said:
Maybe my old age is showing but Jon Stewart isn't making me laugh as much as Stephen Colbert, Stewart gets on my nerves, I know its fake news, but he over does it for some reason, it’s not funny not with me anyways,

Hondo- I doubt it is old age- I'm also "born a more comfortable distance from the apocalypse!" to quote Emo Phillips. But I find JS to be much funnier than Colbert (though I also like both). Colbert troubles me sometimes because he is so frequently seen as supporting whatever side you already root for. On the other hand, that may be what you meant by calling him brilliant. He does have a remarkable ability to insult every "closed" position and makes you think- if you are a thinker. Unfortunately a lot of folks just see him as supporting what they already believe. He *is* brilliant in being able to say, regardless of what opinion he's discussing, "you are a close-minded micro-cephalic!" and need to think this through better. I can't argue with you about that!!:eusa_clap

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
rebelgtp said:
Sitting here watching the Pilot to "Due South", got all 3 seasons on DVD awhile back and have watched them a bunch. Always liked this show when it was on TV, I was living up in Ellensburg WA at the time it was on the air, use to always drive to Roslyn (where they filmed Northern Exposure) to get pizza and when I got home I'd watch Due South.

Anyone else remember this series? Its the one about the Mountie that comes to Chicago to track down his fathers killer and ends up staying as a liaison, and teams up with the Chicago PD.

I enjoyed that show too. You have seen Slings and Arrows, have you not? Paul Gross is brilliant in that and the whole series is so so good.

Another actor I like, Callum Keith Rennie, is in some of the later episodes of Due South. He was also in Twitch City, a Canadian series that is one of my all time favorite series. It's an aquired taste; I think the word "quirky" was invented for it. Don McKellar is fabulous as are Molly Parker and Dan MacIvor. Only 13 episodes alas.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Hondo said:
I like Lewis Black but his show isn't living up to the hype at least with me,
I find I like the Colbert Report more and more
I'm one in the Colbert Nation lol
Maybe my old age is showing but Jon Stewart isn't making me laugh as much as Stephen Colbert, Stewart gets on my nerves, I know its fake news, but he over does it for some reason, it’s not funny not with me anyways, but the Colbert Report hits the funny bone, this guy is absolutely hilarious, and he's smarter than Stewart. Any one see Stephen Colbert on 60 Minutes a while back? Got to love, admire the man, or his writers lol

The only shows I watch regularly anymore are The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. Colbert is my favorite but just barely--I like the dadaist vibe his show can give off at times and you never know what he'll do. I'm such a geek that I treasure the WristStrong bracelet I got at the taping when they were first introduced.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
HBO was doing one of their free trials this weekend so I gorged on In Treatment. I'd seen the first 4 episodes as part of a free trial on YouTube (but despite all these trials I'm still not signing up for HBO!).

I like the 30 minute running time and the way you see how the therapist views what you've just seen through his own prism. Dianne Wiest is very good as is Gabriel Byrne and the girl who plays the gymnast. I fear the storyline is flirting with soap opera in the last few episodes--I hope the writers swerve away from that.

Caroline

One of the Regulars
imoldfashioned said:
HBO was doing one of their free trials this weekend so I gorged on In Treatment. I'd seen the first 4 episodes as part of a free trial on YouTube (but despite all these trials I'm still not signing up for HBO!).

Hee hee! I read about the free trials - were they only for the weekend? Anyway, I had the same though - no HBO for me! If they are great, they'll be on dvd sooner or later.

The last show I watched was a cluster of "The First 48" on A & E. I can't get over the similarities in the demeanors of Sergeant Joe Schillaci and many of Harvey Keitel's charactors. Separated at birth?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I watched the block of four new Futurama episodes (aka the direct-to-DVD feature Bender's Big Score) during their broadcast premiere on Comedy Central last night.

These definitely had their moments, but in general they seemed padded-out and decidedly less clever than was average for the earlier Fox-run episodes.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Caroline said:
Hee hee! I read about the free trials - were they only for the weekend? Anyway, I had the same though - no HBO for me! If they are great, they'll be on dvd sooner or later.

The trial did end last night alas. I only got about halfway through the series and I didn't get to start John Adams. I agree with you, it'll all come out on DVD eventually; I can wait.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I don't mean for this to be political at all but I just finished the first part of Bush's War on Frontline. Extremely well done documentary; I'm looking forward to the second part.

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
rebelgtp said:
He was also on the Red Green show lol
Wow. I had neither seen nor heard of this show until I moved Upstate NY from Jersey. Then my son and I happened to catch it one night and thought it was the funniest thing. I wish it was still on around here, but I can't find it anymore...:(

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
Lulu-in-Ny said:
Wow. I had neither seen nor heard of this show until I moved Upstate NY from Jersey. Then my son and I happened to catch it one night and thought it was the funniest thing. I wish it was still on around here, but I can't find it anymore...:(

out here its on PBS on Saturday nights I think, keep an eye out for it. In fact Red Green was even a guest in one of the Due South episodes.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
I've launched another series with the first two episodes of Monarch of the Glen on DVD. So far it strikes me as very much Northern Exposure in the highlands, which is not at all bad; another obvious antecedent is All Creatures Great and Small, another show with wacky locals to spare. It remains to be seen if Monarch of the Glen, which seems determinedly light in tone, can ever pull off the trick of being actually moving, as those two series do. One less than hopeful sign is that Richard Briers's Hector, the family patriarch who occupies a roughly equivalent position in the show's schema to Barry Corbin's Maurice in Northern Exposure and Robert Hardy's Siegfried Farnon in All Creatures, is far more purely cartoonish (and less engaging) than those two complex and oddly endearing gentlemen.

Still, only two episodes into a seven season series; plenty of time.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
The Real Housewives of New York City
Terribly gossip-y and catty and superficial, but it's fun getting lost in someone else's world every once in a while. I think Luann became my favorite after the marathon that I watched.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lost- but I'm getting lost with series per se. Even during normal seasons without strikes and huge gaps from episode to episode I am ambivilant when after sometimes several weeks a show returns and one must get up to speed with what was going on and who was doing what. Christmas breaks screw it up. Anticipation of sweeps weeks has repeats going to "save" new episodes and all that.

I say just run the number of episodes you got back to back and go on with it. They just drag it out when they could be airing a different show.:mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn