Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

^^^
I mentally played the games "spot the digital palm tree" and "spot the digital skyline"! I do understand that a few long shots and scenes were shot elsewhere, but Vancouver was the primary production site.
Just completed the two seasons of The Killing. It was set in Seattle and it took just one episode for me to realize that is was actually shot here in Vancouver. But then that was a no brainer as we share the same wetness as Seattle. But, it seemed as though every shot occurred in the rain and as true as it is, it was overplayed to get that "gritty", film noire feel.

Just finished episode 7 of "Man in the High Castle." Continues to be absolutely amazing. The opening title sequence is chilling and haunting with the eerily slow but moving leitmotif of "Edelweiss" playing on as the silhouettes of the parachutists and planes pass over Washington's face at Mount Rushmore. It is emotionally powerful - I feel it, viscerally, every single time I see it.

Last edited:

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
MITHC sounds like a winner. Must add it to my last of things to see.

Eventually.

When I have the time!

Need to catch up on:

Gotham
The Brink
Fear the Walking Dead
Longmire
Hell on Wheels
Penny Dreadful

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I'm a Milch fanatic and ashamed fanboy, and even I gave up on Deadwood the first time I tried to watch it. I know several people who did the same as well. Maybe come back to it another time. It's one of those shows that demands the right mood, and finding that mood can be difficult. Once you're there, it is incredibly rewarding.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Just finished episode 7 of "Man in the High Castle." Continues to be absolutely amazing. The opening title sequence is chilling and haunting with the eerily slow but moving leitmotif of "Edelweiss" playing on as the silhouettes of the parachutists and planes pass over Washington's face at Mount Rushmore. It is emotionally powerful - I feel it, viscerally, every single time I see it.

Whoever came up with that opening title sequence is brilliant.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I've watched all of it, too, and basically enjoy it, but thought it took a noticeable turn down in quality (story consistency and continuity, in particular) after season 2.
Agreed. It came off its own tracks there in season 3. It appeared to attempt to right itself in season 4, and until season 5, it hadn't again become fruitful. Season 5 has been the best since season 2. One of the big problems with season 3 is how they changed format from the big sweeping arc to quasi-independent episodes. It's as if they hit an existential crisis there. Should we continue use an entire season to tell a story, or should we switch gears and turn each episode into its own little story and conflict/resolution? The new way of TV is the long arced season, and the old way of TV is the episode. It's as if someone watched way too much Little House on the Prairie in-between seasons. I didn't care for the shift, but I also don't think they were particularly skilled at the latter.

I've also been watching Hell on Wheels. I thought they were fine through the first three seasons, lost their way a bit in season four, and are still trying to find their way back with season five; the final seven episodes will surely determine whether or not they succeed. *shrug* Regardless, in my opinion, even at it's worst it's still better than at least 90% of what's on television these days.

I've just started watching Orange is the New Black on Netflix, primarily to see what all the fuss is about. I'm only four episodes in, so it's too soon to say whether or not I'll stick with it, but it's intriguing so far.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
The Season 2 premiere of Agent Carter. I was slightly disappointed. While the period details are fantastic, the story itself seemed a bit choppy, as did the editing. Still, I enjoyed it, and I want to be Peggy Carter when I grow up!

Spudman

One of the Regulars
Agent Carter for me too. I may see your point on the editing, but I liked the story. I keep reminding myself that in days before video surveillance people could do a lot more sneaky stuff without getting caught.
Great hats too, by the way. Did you catch Jarvis' stratoliner? He even had the plane pin.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Agent Carter for me too. I may see your point on the editing, but I liked the story. I keep reminding myself that in days before video surveillance people could do a lot more sneaky stuff without getting caught.
Great hats too, by the way. Did you catch Jarvis' stratoliner? He even had the plane pin.

I love Jarvis! And I love the humor they put into his role. The flamingo bit was hilarious (as was the judo scene!).

Spudman

One of the Regulars
Yes! Jarvis and Agent Carter make a great pair. I'm glad they introduced his wife this season and she is so confident in their relationship. It takes sex out of the dynamic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The series still looks great, but besides the choppy editing, I'm a bit bothered that they're overstuffing it with plot and action. There aren't enough quiet character moments, or of Peggy being something other than her kickass agent persona - I want to see more of her feelings. Let Atwell play more emotions!

And the overall season plot - cabal of rich white men control dangerous inter-dimensional force - seems distressingly similar to Hydra and the portal in this season's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., doesn't it?

Also, am I only the one who thinks that Souza's new girlfriend is too perfect, that she must be a counter-agent playing him?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic