Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What would you change?

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
its true (not market inflated) price

How do you determine the price, or value?

Interesting that nobody yet mentioned thinking over this mortality thing. (That's in the god range, not the dictator range, though.)

What's really interesting is if all we good democrats (that's a small D, you wingnuts!) would actually do nothing but immediately introduce elections etc.

Would we? Or would we first tidy up the state a bit :whistling, doing things we honestly consider right?

Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
How do you determine the price, or value?

The price of building it. All the land belongs to the Monarch anyway. Its value to humanity is inestimable, but that has no bearing on the price (word play, eh. Dontcha love it?).

Waaaayyy off topic (Marc C. would be disgusted), and i wont discuss it here, but i think government has a obligation to provide housing for all its subjects, free of charge.

bk

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I'd immediately find a way to provide government support and re-establish dependable passenger rail service on regular routes across the US. It's unfortunate that the emergence of the Interstate highway system killed off the passenger train system...but times have changed again in the past 50 years.

As the population grows and we become concerned about cars and petroleum consumption, it's clear to me (if not to anyone else) that the US needs a strong functional passenger train system - and that it will have to be supported by government funding.

Pilgrim said:
As the population grows and we become concerned about cars and petroleum consumption, it's clear to me (if not to anyone else) that the US needs a strong functional passenger train system - and that it will have to be supported by government funding.

To the tune of billions of dollars. We have studied it here. It just isn't cost effective for the amount of people who would willingly ride it. People voiced concerns over the time convenience, proximity to their destination and dozens of other concerns.
Our beginning experiment BART is an example of what would happen nationwide. The rates are always rising---because less and less people can afford to ride it as the price goes up. It is a circular spiral. The cars are dirty, the service spotty and timeliness is a problem. On top of it all they want to charge you to park your car in their lot!
You could do it if you were omnipotent but it would not go over very well.

Regards,

J

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Pilgrim said:
I'd immediately find a way to provide government support and re-establish dependable passenger rail service on regular routes across the US. It's unfortunate that the emergence of the Interstate highway system killed off the passenger train system...but times have changed again in the past 50 years.

Hey buddy, THIS is America! Isnt having a car written in the constitution somewhere ;)

LD

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Howdy neighbor.

Jupiter said:
I've sure enjoyed the "What could you do without?" thread... and it has me thinking of what I would _change_... say, if somebody made me King (Dictator, God?) for a few days...

I think I'd make the national speed limit 40 mph. All cars would have governors on the engines that would keep them from going faster than that. Anyone caught tampering with the governor so they could go faster would immediately lose their license. This would be a permanent and irrevocable law, in the interest of making our nation a more civilized place.

Why?

Well, it would put a halt to urban sprawl at a stroke. Pedestrian-friendly small towns would blossom. The rotten cores of our major cities would once again become great places to live, work, and shop (I live outside of Cleveland, Ohio, and it's a crying shame what that once great city has become...)

Train travel would return, and would be reliable and affordable.

Cars could be built like in the olden days... no need for all those expensive and impossible-to-fix-by-yourself gizmos to keep you alive during a horrendous crash at excessively high speeds... except that with what we know now, cars would be safer AND probably get 100 MPG. And STYLE could return to the automobile! No need for crush zones and plastic parts.

With less gas being wasted, gas prices would plummet due to the oversupply...

Road rage would disappear.

People would make fewer frivolous trips in their cars, and would stay at home more, getting to know their own families. People might even start to enjoy their neighbors again. Maybe at-home entertainment like games, reading, and "just visiting" would become popular again, I'd love to see some of the old literary journals return (ever read a Collier's, Harper's, or Saturday Evening Post magazine from the 1930s? AMAZING stuff!)

Locally grown produce would once again be an option for most people, since trucking it long distances would be impractical. And much of the need for "slave" labor in the gardens of California to provide super cheap baby carrots and other veggies to the cities of the East would evaporate like dew in the morning Sun.

Once everyone got used to the somewhat slower pace, I think that we'd all breathe a sigh of relief that we'd come, as a nation, to our collective senses...

Jupiter

We live in the same neck of the woods and I agree with ya. My parents used to be able to walk from their home on East 93rd street to University Circle and the museums, and to the lake through Rockefeller Park,...anywhere they wanted actually, at any time, day or night. It would be grand if we could get that back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner