Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's a good beginner fedora?

Sean

Familiar Face
what's a good beginner fedora?
ok so im 17 and im really into the 20's and 30's! So im trying to re-establish my wardrobe and need a good wool fedora. The thing is I dont relly know to much about thim. What I want is a good 30ish stylish fedora not sure what color. What do yall think makes a good beginners fedora?

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Well, if wool is the only thing within your budget, there is a wool version of the Christy's Adventurer. I recommend it because the shape and measurements will be closest to that era. If you can afford it, the fur felt version is supposedly inexpensive, and would be a good starter budget hat, as well.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
The Akubra Squatter or the Campdraft would be excellent choices.
The Squatter has a wide ribbon and has a bit more of a "city" look whereas the Campdraft is a thin ribbon- giving a more rural "country gentleman" appearance.
I also like the Stetson Chatham, its a bit more expensive but not by much.
Whatever you get, post pics! Good Luck.

P.S. all the above mentioned hats are in the $100-$150 range.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Sean, You might want to post your hat size and tell us a bit about what you are interested in regarding color, crown height, brim width, ribbon, and brim treatment. There may be someone here that can give you a good deal on a nice fedora to start with. Welcome aboard. Carter

Sean

Familiar Face
ok so my hat size is Head Size is 21 Hat Size 7 and i dk relly what color i want something i can wear all the time with what ever im wearing oh!!! and were can find this campdraft?

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Sean said:
ok so my hat size is Head Size is 21 Hat Size 7 and i dk relly what color i want something i can wear all the time with what ever im wearing oh!!! and were can find this campdraft?
www.hatsdirect.com as well as everything australian. The latter is cheaper but may require a 3 month wait. I have bought 3 hats from hats direct and will pay more to deal with them, but that's just my $.02.:)

Sean

Familiar Face
OK i relly like the campdraft but i want somthing a little more urban like a 30's gangster would wear. and i know what ebay is but Johnnyphi's offerings??? lol im such a newb

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
If you want a '30's "Gangster Hat" check out a Dobbs Dayton.
Its got a WIDE ribbon, narrow-ish brim and in black it fills the bill.
You can pick one up for about $120.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
The fed IV is also a nice one. Several here have one look in the new hats thread.I have a fed III and like it just wish i got a color other than black.

You can find JohnnyPhi's auctions in the merchants section.I would just post a link but i'm typing from my blackberry, sorry.

Sean

Familiar Face
ok sweet all i need to know now is what color...... hmm i want to be able to wear it with a suit but also would like to ride my horse with it on.. hmm any suggestions????

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Dark brown is the hit with the indy crowd but many here have gone with the moonstone. I think BobC has one. I also like the tawny fawn but if its your only hat the moonstone gray will go with more probably.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sean said:
OK i relly like the campdraft but i want somthing a little more urban like a 30's gangster would wear. and i know what ebay is but Johnnyphi's offerings??? lol im such a newb

Check Davidmorgan.com - the U.S. distributor for Akubra hats and other lines as well. They're long-time supporters of Fedora Lounge and Classic Style magazine. And they have a competitor to the Federation known as the Adventurer. The Federation is only available from hatsdirect, bt the Adventurer is pretty close and only available from David Morgan.

BobC

HI, Sean. I see that you are interested in the Fed IV. I have a Fed Deluxe IV in the heritage fawn color.

IMG_0345.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

The deluxe is made of a better grade of felt and has a nicer sweatband than the regular Fed IV, but I am quite sure you would be as happy with the regular one as you would with the deluxe, and it would save you some money. As far as color, I recommend that you give some thought to what colors you dress in most often and then find a hat to coordinate with your clothing.

Now that I have the heritage fawn color, I have added another in moonstone to my wishlist.

Finally, I would echo Indycop's recomendation of www.hatsdirect.com as my preferred place to buy Akubras from. You will pay them more for your hat, but they usually have the hats in stock, your wait time will be much shorter and their service is second to none.

Welcome to the fedora lounge. You will like it here.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi Sean,

If you choose the Fed IV, maybe the Moonstone Grey is the most versatile colour, it being a mid-grey. Mid-grey (specially if on the neutral or warm side) work well with a wide selection of wardrobe colours, better than brown or dark grey, in my opinion. Anyway, it depends very much on your preferences in clothing colours - also some have the opinion that hats are somewhat outside the combination/matching issue, so it is your call.

I do not own one, but a lot of people here has given good feedback on Fed IVs, so I think it s a good choice. If you use the "search" engine, you can find many threads about it.

Regards!

BobC

Sean said:
allright thats it im buying that hat thanx BobC!!!!!!!!!

You'll like it, I assure you. This and my Campdraft are my two go to hats.

I have three of Johnnyphi's vintage hats and wear them, but I'm more careful about where I wear them than I am the Akubras. The long and short of it is that the Akubras are modern hats and can be replaced easily, but the vintage hats would be much harder to replace and they are the history of these fedoras that we all desire so much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff