Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's For Breakfast...

robrinay

One Too Many
It came out really nice, Its a great recipe - fresh bread in less than an hour with no kneading. I divided the dry mix into two before adding the fruit so I got two smaller loaves. This is my favourite version but I usually add honey and 2 ounces of melted butter to the dry mix rather than the tablespoon full of black treacle.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/soda_bread_41394
Here is a simpler (fewer ingredients), lower calorie version recipe that always gives me good results but there are lots more on the net.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/soda_bread_24837

When I first started making it I sometimes over or under baked it but now I use a 'meat' thermometer and take it out of the oven when the internal temperature is around 190 degrees F - and it sounds hollow when the bottom is tapped. I've also been adding ingredients to the dry mix such as a handful of strong cheddar cheese chunks or fruit. The date and raisin loaf is actually great served with cheese.

Last edited:

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
One slice whole grain toast with a slice of smoked provalone, turkey sausage.

Lily's having old fashioned oatmeal made with milk. It has dried blueberries and flax seeds in it. She's nibbling at it, driving me mad. We're going to be late to school!!!

A big piece of fruitcake. Yep, saw an ad the other day for Claxton Bakery's fruitcake - looked like a classic one - ordered it and love it. This morning, thought about eggs, cereal, oatmeal and then I spied the fruitcake - decision made. If you hate fruitcake - that's cool - I love the thing and the first one of the season is always the best. Having it for breakfast just ups the enjoyment a bit more.

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
Please - love to see the recipe.
I'm so sorry--meant to post last night and forgot.

SE's mom's fruitcake (adapted from Grandma's recipe, which did not have alcohol--thanks, Mom!)

1/2 cup undiluted orange-pineapple juice concentrate
1/2 cup golden raisins
Extracts: 1/2 tsp coconut, 1/2 tsp rum (optional), 1/2 tsp vanilla

4 eggs
1 1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda

Fruits, the $$$$ part: 1/2 cup flaked coconut, 2 8-oz containers glacee cherries (red and green), 3 8-oz containers glacee pineapple

Nuts: 1 cup raw pecan halves, 3/4 cup raw brazil nuts (whole), 1 cup macadamia nuts with salt removed by rinsing and patting dry

white rum

Method:
Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour either 2 large loaf pans or 6 mini ones.
Reserve 1/2 cup of the pecans & 1/2 cup of the cherries. Mix juice concentrate with extracts and soak raisins in mixture while preparing batter.
Beat eggs and then beat in sugar well. Sir in dry ingredients. Add raisins and juice mixture and stir to complete batter. Fold in fruits and nuts. Fill pans and decorate tops with reserved pecans and cherries.
Bake 1 hour. Turn oven off but leave cakes in 1/2 hour. Take out and allow to cool completely. Pour 1/4 cup white rum over both cakes and cover each with foil. Place each in a gallon-sized plastic bag in the refrigerator. Store for 5 weeks, adding more rum a couple of times if you like.

To serve: cut thin slices and try not to eat the whole thing. Yeah, just try.

Oops--my mom says put rum each week and make sure to keep covered in foil always, or they'll dry out. I guess if you're a teetotaller it's a no-go.

Big fan of rum or whiskey (we've done either) soaked into our fruitcakes and, yes, must re-soak weekly. We normally cover them in cheese cloth, but foil would work too. I did get a bit of a hairy eyeball when showed it to our master baker (my girlfriend) owing to the "tropical," but it was in fun - once time permits, we're going to give it a shot.

I should not have started reading this thread. I am coming off a 5 day fast trying to get some digestive issues resolved. The fast was broken this morning with a handful of almonds and a mug of hot water.....yum! Usually Sunday is our breakfast morning and we will bake scones or make waffles or something yummy.
Dinner tonight will be steam cauli and broccoli.....yum!

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
Big fan of rum or whiskey (we've done either) soaked into our fruitcakes and, yes, must re-soak weekly. We normally cover them in cheese cloth, but foil would work too. I did get a bit of a hairy eyeball when showed it to our master baker (my girlfriend) owing to the "tropical," but it was in fun - once time permits, we're going to give it a shot.
Annnnd she corrected me again and said it's 2 T rum every week. I don't see the diff between that and 1/4 cup every other week or 3. Moms....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21