Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

I still haven't been able to summon up the courage to try grits.

Never liked grits. Too grainy and tasteless...served with breakfast on occasion here in Indiana. However..several years ago..I found out that in different parts of the country grits are,indeed,a very different dish. While vacationing in Charleston I ordered Shrimp and Grits. These grits were OMG good. More like a creamy buttery seasoned dinner dish in the style of 'Low Country' southern cooking...I couldn't get enough of them. Served with local seafood..or spicey sausage meals..they seem a staple in that S. C. area. Asking a local SC friend of mine why grits in most places are quite different..he suggested right away that firstly 'they are undercooked'...with little to no seasoning. This year ordering steak in Gatlinburg,Tenn..the waitress suggested that I order the grits with my meal. These were also of the creamy buttery style mixed with chopped up 'spinach' in a small casserole type dish. Jeeze..I'm telling you..'like a little heaven' in a bowl..! Perfect side dish for an excellent steak. So..IMO..grits 'done right' are quite a delight. As a breakfast addon in most places..er..not so much...:eek:hwell:

TidiousTed

Practically Family
Time to get the wok going again. To day it will be Chinese pork Szechuan style with fried rice with chopped hard boiled eggs, chopped cashew nuts and chopped red onions

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Made some Hamburger Helper Lasagna for supper.

I know I'll get shot for this after all of my "I'm all home-cooked gourmet food" posts, but really, Hamburger Helper isn't all bad. When my husband and I first got married, we ate it quite often. I also remember my dad making it several times growing up. There used to be a flavor that was like stroganoff, but instead of pasta it had thinly sliced potatoes. Anyway, HH is still cheaper than picking up a drive-thru cheeseburger. I just dislike the commercials that tout it as a "home-cooked family dinner."

rue

I had never had Hamburger Helper in my entire life, until last year. Everyone I knew in Ohio thought it was odd, so I bought the recommended favorite.... cheesy hash browns :puke: Needless to say I will not be buying it again. Maybe I didn't like it because I didn't grow up on it? [huh]

rue

Never liked grits. Too grainy and tasteless...served with breakfast on occasion here in Indiana. However..several years ago..I found out that in different parts of the country grits are,indeed,a very different dish. While vacationing in Charleston I ordered Shrimp and Grits. These grits were OMG good. More like a creamy buttery seasoned dinner dish in the style of 'Low Country' southern cooking...I couldn't get enough of them. Served with local seafood..or spicey sausage meals..they seem a staple in that S. C. area. Asking a local SC friend of mine why grits in most places are quite different..he suggested right away that firstly 'they are undercooked'...with little to no seasoning. This year ordering steak in Gatlinburg,Tenn..the waitress suggested that I order the grits with my meal. These were also of the creamy buttery style mixed with chopped up 'spinach' in a small casserole type dish. Jeeze..I'm telling you..'like a little heaven' in a bowl..! Perfect side dish for an excellent steak. So..IMO..grits 'done right' are quite a delight. As a breakfast addon in most places..er..not so much...:eek:hwell:

Southern made grits are sooooo good, but you're right about the grits everywhere else :yuck:

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I had never had Hamburger Helper in my entire life, until last year. Everyone I knew in Ohio thought it was odd, so I bought the recommended favorite.... cheesy hash browns :puke: Needless to say I will not be buying it again. Maybe I didn't like it because I didn't grow up on it? [huh]

I do think it is something of a "learned" taste. My mother never made it growing up - she cooked everything from scratch and we grew all of our own vegetables, but my dad cooked it when I would go visit, so I suspect it holds a definite childhood positive memory for me. Same with Stove Top stuffing. Disgusting stuff, but sometimes I crave it and the flavor reminds me of childhood.

I don't think I've ever tried the hash brown flavor...

On another note, I didn't know what grits were until about 5 years ago. We never ate them growing up. Generally I think they're disgusting, but I did once have a cheesy-jalapeno grit casserole that someone brought to an office potluck that was delicious.

I do agree!..The Stroganoff IS the best HH..!! ...especially with a nice Pinot...:D

Do we need a separate thread for wine & Hamburger Helper pairings? lol lol

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I have had both Grits and Oatmeal. I am an oatmeal person. Grits are made from corn and oatmeal is made from oats. I make old fashioned oats where the rolled oat appears as the whole grain rather than a pulverized version. I also add walnuts, cinnamon and vanilla extract with milk rather than water. Nothing better for a healthful fulfilling meal 8 grams fiber. It is a staple in my diet. It is about 500 calories.:)

Grits I would have when I was a kid so they bring back nice memories.

I have seen some people eat grits as if it were cream of wheat like a cereal.

I've had Hamburger Helper ever since I started cooking for myself though I've never tried Cheesy Hash Browns -- I see it all the time but it just doesn't look appetizing. But most of the Italian-style HH is pretty good, as well as the Chili Macaroni, to which I usually add Italian or Mexican-style diced or stewed tomatoes. Another one that's really good in my opinion is the Pasta Beef to which I also add diced tomatoes.

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I had cream of wheat just yesterday!
I prefer......

farina-by-brandlandusa.JPG

My mom makes the best southern-style grits. Gosh are they good!

I still haven't been able to summon up the courage to try grits.

It's certainly no 'home-cooked meal' but I'm trying to not hit the heart-attack drive-thru so much. My cooking skills are a work in progress, at the moment, but I'm working. It doesn't make sense to cook a big fancy meal, because I live all by myself, so a pound of hamburger and some pasta is more than enough!

I know I'll get shot for this after all of my "I'm all home-cooked gourmet food" posts, but really, Hamburger Helper isn't all bad. When my husband and I first got married, we ate it quite often. I also remember my dad making it several times growing up. There used to be a flavor that was like stroganoff, but instead of pasta it had thinly sliced potatoes. Anyway, HH is still cheaper than picking up a drive-thru cheeseburger. I just dislike the commercials that tout it as a "home-cooked family dinner."

rue

I've had Hamburger Helper ever since I started cooking for myself though I've never tried Cheesy Hash Browns -- I see it all the time but it just doesn't look appetizing. But most of the Italian-style HH is pretty good, as well as the Chili Macaroni, to which I usually add Italian or Mexican-style diced or stewed tomatoes. Another one that's really good in my opinion is the Pasta Beef to which I also add diced tomatoes.
It's certainly no 'home-cooked meal' but I'm trying to not hit the heart-attack drive-thru so much. My cooking skills are a work in progress, at the moment, but I'm working. It doesn't make sense to cook a big fancy meal, because I live all by myself, so a pound of hamburger and some pasta is more than enough!

Oh I can certainly understand that it's easy! I just couldn't get past the taste. I don't want anyone to be offended by my cheesy hash brown experience. I'm sure it's just me :)

I don't care for the hash brown ones, in particular. My dad loves them, but I usually passed them up with Ma made them. I do like their pastas, though!

Oh I can certainly understand that it's easy! I just couldn't get past the taste. I don't want anyone to be offended by my cheesy hash brown experience. I'm sure it's just me :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou