Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

Dixie_Amazon

Practically Family
Last night we were unexpectedly invaded by several extra teen and early 20s young men. I made a large amount of chicken and sausage jamblaya to feed the horde.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Tonight it's an early dinner of Nesmith burgers. Four hamburgers for me. Four cheeseburgers for the wife. In spite of being called "jumbo" burgers, they are actually quite small.

NeSmith Hamburgers (pronounced Nee-Smith, not Nez-myth like the Monkee) in Moulton, Alabama, is one of those greasy-spoon, no-frills burger joints that's a local institution. Their menu consists of burgers (single, double or triple - with cheese or without) and fries or chips, period. The patties are deep fried in a pool of oil that I don't think has been changed since they opened their doors in 1966. A burger "all the way" is topped with mustard, a special house ketchup, and diced onions. That's all you get. Cheap, greasy, and filling. You either love 'em or you hate 'em.

5564774199_35d9f4a1c3.jpg
13021.jpg

13020.jpg

Last edited:
Those look delicious Matt. Hard to beat that kind of mom-n-pop dining!

Tonight in my neck of the woods it's homemade vegetable soup.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Those look delicious Matt. Hard to beat that kind of mom-n-pop dining!

Tonight in my neck of the woods it's homemade vegetable soup.

Yeah, it's about time for a pot of vegetable soup around here too. Will probably make some this week.

Speaking of mom & pop burger joints: I've been kicking around the idea lately of producing a web series showcasing local dining spots, kind of like Guy Fieri's Triple D, but without an on-screen host. It would showcase locally popular mom & pops, and each episode would feature a different type of food - burger joints, hot dog places, pizza parlors, etc. Maybe do it as a youtube channel. Whadda-ya-think?

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Matt, those remind me of Dyers Hamburgers.
I'm not sure if they are still open or not.
And yes, Dyers burgers were small.
I ordered a double with fries, and ended up being disappointed when I got home!
Like you, I should have ordered 4. :D

Pork chops with some sort of no salt hot pepper seasoning. It's a powder, unlike the old Mrs. Dash.
Tater tots for Dale (with Sriacha covering them), and pulled pork beans with Tapatio hot sauce.
No I don't need to call the Fire Department. That will be tomorrow. ;)

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Breakfast for dinner: fried potatoes, turkey sausage, eggs to order, toasted bread product of choice (bread, english muffin, pumpkin spice bread), Honeycrisp apple for dessert.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Something from the Mexican restaurant down the street...the cheap one.
Oh well, bought some good beer, and I've been good this week so I deserve it. :D

Salami, an assortment of cheeses, hummus, some marinated artichoke salad with olives and red peppers, snack crackers, and birthday cake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats