Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Another great shot of the kids, Big Man. That pie sounds and looks great, not a big rhubarb fan but with strawberries it makes for perfect balance. At least for me. Enjoy.

The tartness of the rhubarb is offset by the sweetness of the strawberries. It's good by itself, but when served hot with homemade ice cream it's to die for.

Big Man

Loved my Grandmother Brown's sweet rhubarb pie. Haven't had any since the mid '60s...or her wilted lettuce. :(
Tonight was pork ribs..baked potato..slaw..dinner rolls & vanilla Coke.
HD

Anything made by a Grandmother (especially a Grandmother Brown) is good.

My Maw used to make the best killed lettuce. I've tried to duplicate hers, but no matter how hard I try, it's just not the same. I wonder how many people know what we're talking about when we say wilted lettuce (aka killed lettuce)? I would suspect it's a "country thing."

Well..I'm no cook. More of a professional taste tester.
However..I remember Grandma B's wilted lettuce being made with bacon grease (she used a lot of bacon grease in her cooking)..vinegar..and probably a little sugar.

Big Man

Well..I'm no cook. More of a professional taste tester.
However..I remember Grandma B's wilted lettuce being made with bacon grease (she used a lot of bacon grease in her cooking)..vinegar..and probably a little sugar.

That's about the same way my Maw made killed lettuce. She always served it with spring onions.

She often made chopped up fried cabbage cooked in bacon grease...and also hominey in BG. When I was first married..I asked my Wife to fix some hominey. She said 'Oooo my gawd how can you eat that stuff'. She brought a can home from the store...opened it..plopped it in a sauce pan and heated it on the stove like soup and then served it to me. Oooo my gawd was right..no skillet..no bacon grease..'no good'..!!

Big Man

She often made chopped up fried cabbage cooked in bacon grease...and also hominey in BG. When I was first married..I asked my Wife to fix some hominey. She said 'Oooo my gawd how can you eat that stuff'. She brought a can home from the store...opened it..plopped it in a sauce pan and heated it on the stove like soup and then served it to me. Oooo my gawd was right..no skillet..no bacon grease..'no good'..!!

Everything is better with some bacon grease. :)

Everything is better with some bacon grease. :)
I've never had lettuce cooked like that, but my grandmother fixed up plenty of spinach that way. Fried cabbage, too. It's especially tasty if you throw in some sweet vidalia onion and/or some sliced apples.

Big Man

I've never had lettuce cooked like that, but my grandmother fixed up plenty of spinach that way. Fried cabbage, too. It's especially tasty if you throw in some sweet vidalia onion and/or some sliced apples.

You don't "cook" the lettuce, just heat the grease mixture and pore it over the lettuce.

You don't "cook" the lettuce, just heat the grease mixture and pore it over the lettuce.
That's how Grandmother made spinach. We had every kind of greens, collard, turnip, mustard, etc. cooked the normal way (boiled with some onion and pork product, usually ham) but she always just fixed the spinach with the grease like that.

btw HD, hominy is good stuff, but yeah, straight outta the can....not so much.

Big Man

That's how Grandmother made spinach. We had every kind of greens, collard, turnip, mustard, etc. cooked the normal way (boiled with some onion and pork product, usually ham) but she always just fixed the spinach with the grease like that.

btw HD, hominy is good stuff, but yeah, straight outta the can....not so much.

Never tried spinach like that. But now I plan on trying it that way.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Boy I like my corn on the cob the sweeter the better..but I don't see how they could really add sugar without it showing..unless when cooked in a restaurant . We usually get the bi colored..yellow & white corn that seems consistently more tender as well as sweet.

You must like GMO sweet corn ! :eeek:

And canned hominy either yellow or white corn requires more than just reheating in a sauce pan,
but I do believe you know that already ! :D

You must like GMO sweet corn ! :eeek:

And canned hominy either yellow or white corn requires more than just reheating in a sauce pan,
but I do believe you know that already ! :D

GMO..don't really think so. More like cross pollinated hybrid sweet corn. Most GMO around here in HoosierLand is usually exclusively field corn. Perhaps some sweet corn in big chain grocery stores is GMO..not sure.
Yeah..my wife's family served up a much different kind of cooking than my family. She had no idea how to fix hominy. My grandmother (who used to cook for the farming threshing ring families of years gone by) lived with my parents until she died in the early '70s(I was in my mid 20s). Because of that..I thought everyone new how to cook hominy.
HD

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Beef fajitas and onion rings.
It just came to me last night, so I marinated the steak in Stubbs Sweet Onion & Black Pepper marinade for 4 hours, along with the peppers and onions (in a separate bag).
Then I cooked them in the Nuwave Oven, and seared it all in an iron skillet for 4 minutes.
A small amount of mess as opposed to cooking it all in the skillet the entire time.
The onion rings were baked, but in retrospect they do come out better in the Nuwave...not as dry.
Put jalapenos on the fajitas, and Tapatio hot sauce on the onion rings, wash it down with Founders Dirty ba***rd beer, and that makes for a good Saturday night. From what I remember. :D

Beef fajitas and onion rings.
It just came to me last night, so I marinated the steak in Stubbs Sweet Onion & Black Pepper marinade for 4 hours, along with the peppers and onions (in a separate bag).
Then I cooked them in the Nuwave Oven, and seared it all in an iron skillet for 4 minutes.
A small amount of mess as opposed to cooking it all in the skillet the entire time.
The onion rings were baked, but in retrospect they do come out better in the Nuwave...not as dry.
Put jalapenos on the fajitas, and Tapatio hot sauce on the onion rings, wash it down with Founders Dirty ba***rd beer, and that makes for a good Saturday night. From what I remember. :D

Stubbs spicy BBQ sauce is great. I make my own marinades. :p

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Stubbs spicy BBQ sauce is great. I make my own marinades. :p
I didn't use the BBQ sauce, although I might try it.
That is probably one of the FEW products by them I haven't tried.
My wife LOVES the Honey Pecan BBQ sauce, but I haven't bought it in awhile.

Brace yourself James...
Tonight it was a 24oz T-Bone medium, with Arby's curly fries.
No Tapatio though, instead I used a 6 pepper blend by Totes.
I covered the fries with it, then put them in the oven.
A-1 with Tabasco for the steak.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Grilled, bone-in ribeyes with herb compound butter on top, tomato & mozzarella gnocchi, steamed broccoli, honey nugget mandarin orange and a red velvet apricot. Yum!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn