Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

My house rub is usually dozen or more spices mixed together, using whatever is in the spice cupboard at the time. It always includes kosher salt, 2-3 kinds of black pepper (regular, smoked, Worcestershire, and lemon are my choices), garlic powder (not salt), onion powder (not salt), Italian seasoning, a tiny pinch all spice, and a tiny pinch of cloves, mustard powder, extra oregano, paprika (smoked), cayenne. I don't measure any of it, I just eyeball based on how much finished product I want to make. I usually do 1 1/2 cups, and whizz it in my mini-food processor to blend it all together.

Very similar to what I do but I do add white pepper and cayenne, love the heat and sometimes chipotle powder if I can find it. Yours sounds really good and like you, mine comes out different every time because I never measure amounts.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Very similar to what I do but I do add white pepper and cayenne, love the heat and sometimes chipotle powder if I can find it. Yours sounds really good and like you, mine comes out different every time because I never measure amounts.
And then there was the one time that I put a pinch of dried dill into a batch. I used it on the steaks I seasoned for Hubby to grill. He took one bite, and asked what I'd done to his steak. I guess he *failed* to mention that he hates dried dill flavor (but is okay with pickles/relish). Had to toss all of the seasoning because he wouldn't touch it. :eek:

Went to Lindberg's (the oldest tavern in town) and had a Lindburger. Seared in duck fat, topped with sautéed mushrooms, provel and homemade mayo. Served with hand cut fries and catchup made with Table Rock Red (a local microbrewer's Irish red ale).

29126685282_9f4a34b42e_z.jpg

29126678792_35a8b3a3b3_z.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The coating is a batter, it's made of the same recipe as pancake batter. You coat the fish in seasoned flour, dip it in the batter and fry it at a high heat. The batter does rise giving the portion a larger look, but the batter also compliments the fish, it tastes absolutely delicious.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Peel and thinly slice, half a pound of chestnut mushrooms. Finely chop a spanish onion. take two garlic cloves and pulp them through a garlic crusher. Take and crush a couple of vegetable stock cubes, add a dessert spoonful of vegetable gravy granules, pour on boiling water until the mixture is like custard that pours. Add four fluid ounces of cream,or if you count calories, creme fraiche.

Take a large pan and over a medium high heat, melt a couple of ounces of butter, or whatever substitute you use for butter. add a couple of fluid ounces of olive oil. When the butter and oil are seriously hot, throw in the onion, garlic and mushrooms. stir and toss until all the ingredients are covered. Add a pinch of hot chilli powder and a pinch of paprika pepper. Only a pinch of each, otherwise you will smother the entire dish.

After cooking for ten to twelve minutes, add the gravy mixture along with a generous glassful of white wine. Cook on a low heat for ten minutes. If the mixture looks a little runny, turn up the heat and reduce but keep stirring to prevent burning.

Serve with the cheats way of cooking long grain rice. A bag of Uncle Ben's, two minutes in the microwave. Pour the mixture over the rice, fill the wine glass and enjoy. Agh! I forgot, you add parsley when you put the onions and garlic in.

Mushroom Stroganoff:

mushroom stroganoff.jpg

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Lamb chops with homemade mint jam, asparagus, and fresh baguette from the bakery.
Iced tea or sparkling water to drink.
I rarely buy lamb, usually reserving it for an Christmas or Easter meal, but I'll have to remember this combination. It sounds positively delectable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran