Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Alice Springs chicken (seasoned chicken with bacon and mushrooms on top, covered in Colby jack cheese and melted on the grill, served with honey mustard dipping sauce.) Hubby had grilled zucchini, green bell peppers and onion. I had a green salad with balsamic vinaigrette. And corn on the cob.
IMG_20180731_213437.jpg

Pepperoni and black olive pizza with a few craft beers at a local eatery. Ran in to a number of people who I had not seen in many a year and had a fun time. Great company, good food, and good beer made for a really nice evening.
:D
Oh yeah, we had fat mozzarella cheese sticks for an appetizer and pineapple cheesecake for dessert.

Last edited:
Single parenting. Since it is so hot, I’ll just make my daughter a shrimp and tomato omelette, with Gaspacho on the side. With baguette slices.

Despite growing up with both my parents in the same house, you just made your daughter a nicer home-cooked meal than I had in 16 years of living at home. I'm guessing whatever all the particular are (which are not my business), she's a lucky young girl.

Had dinner with my family tonight at a sports bar and *gasp*, their pot roast was DIVINE.
I love pot roast especially when it is cooked with potatoes and carrots! However, I cannot see me ordering that at a sports bar and expecting anything better than "just okay." Good for you!
:D

Pot Roast is like Mayberry RFD; I know what it is (kinda), it sounds nice and comforting, but I've never seen it and (deep down) question if it really exists. I almost wonder if you guys aren't trying to send me on a snipe hunt. :)

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
I need to refresh my pot roast skills this fall because I am no longer a pescetarian, as of today. I was vegetarian and then added fish back in with the understanding that I was going to move on to other animals. I have been consuming too much soy for the last 6 years. Oh, and I remember I used to be good at roasting a whole chicken. I'm more comfortable with handling raw beef than raw poultry for some reason.

I need to refresh my pot roast skills this fall because I am no longer a pescetarian, as of today. I was vegetarian and then added fish back in with the understanding that I was going to move on to other animals. I have been consuming too much soy for the last 6 years. Oh, and I remember I used to be good at roasting a whole chicken. I'm more comfortable with handling raw beef than raw poultry for some reason.

Another one saying pot roast is real thing. Hmm, I'm becoming a believer.

Homemade grilled pizza night. Lily & I shared a bacon cheeseburger pizza (hamburger, onions, tomatoes, bacon, cheese, pickles), and Hubby had a Hubby's Special (hamburger, onions, green bell pepper, jalapenos, bacon, cheese). Leftovers for lunch tomorrow!

View attachment 129827

View attachment 129828

My mother all but didn't cook, so growing up, we had a lot of frozen and packaged foods, "assembled food" and supermarket prepared stuff. No big deal, but as a young adult, every restaurant was amazing to me and every girlfriend seemed like Martha Stewart until I, kinda, learned what food is all about (and that most people actually do eat cooked meals at home).

My very tiny point is that, for me, the world opened up nicely, food wise, when I left home and started eating out, dating, etc. But Lily will already have very high expectations because of all the wonderful and thoughtful meals you've made for her. This is just me trying hide my jealousy by trying to find some good in the frozen, fallow, kitchen table of my youth. :(

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
My mother all but didn't cook, so growing up, we had a lot of frozen and packaged foods, "assembled food" and supermarket prepared stuff. No big deal, but as a young adult, every restaurant was amazing to me and every girlfriend seemed like Martha Stewart until I, kinda, learned what food is all about (and that most people actually do eat cooked meals at home).

My very tiny point is that, for me, the world opened up nicely, food wise, when I left home and started eating out, dating, etc. But Lily will already have very high expectations because of all the wonderful and thoughtful meals you've made for her. This is just me trying hide my jealousy by trying to find some good in the frozen, fallow, kitchen table of my youth. :(

My mom cooked, but poorly. She was famous for burning just about everything. Her extent of seasonings was salt and pepper. I definitely did not learn to cook from her. I picked up some from my Gran. Hubby brought a rich food culture from Texas with him when he moved up here, so my horizons were greatly expanded. Now, I watch cooking shows to get ideas, but it usually is my creations. I hardly measure unless baking (because... chemistry!), so no two meals are exactly the same.

Lily helps me menu plan (mom rarely did), shop (she picks my veggies and fruit), prep (veggie prep is hers), taste test, and set/clear the table. She is part of our family team, so she helps with all of it. I am trying to make all of this seem "normal", so when she moves out she will take this normal with her. She has already asked me to teach her to make my homemade mac-n-cheese. Can do!

We remind her that she is lucky. There are kids who live on burgers & fries, nuggets, and mac. She eats shrimp scampi and shrimp cocktail. Steak with A1. Horseradish. Asparagus. Broccoli. Caramelized onions. Korean food. Thai. Chinese. Italian. Mexican. Her favorite salad dressing is Marie's chunky blue cheese. She fought me once for a leftover salmon fillet. She won. And I made her homemade tartar sauce to go with it. She is a good eater. I am lucky she is not picky!

I was once told (in a parent support class for parents of babies), "a parent's job is to put the food in front of the child, but it is the child's job to eat it". I want her to have good choices to make her job more palatable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran