Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Are you guys eating asparagus/spargel already??? Here, Spargel is practically a pagan religion dedicated to the goddess of spring. In fact, Spargel is almost synonymous with Spring. Supposedly the Roman centurions were already eating Spargel in Vienna back when it was still called Vindobona. Of course, the Christians co-opted the vegetable. Now it’s an Easter thing. Anyway, still a bit early for asparagus here. Maybe in a few weeks. (It’s the white asparagus that everyone is crazy about here.)

On the other hand, Baerlauch has appeared in the market. It’s the first thing that pops up in the Vienna Woods in late March. I think it’s called bear garlic in English. Anyway, Mrs Tiki snapped it up and we had Baerlauch pesto last week. Really good.

This weekend —-because we were trapped and had nothing better to do—- we decided to break out the French Cook Book and make Duck a l’orange with baby potatoes and roast vegetables. Of course, it being a French recipe, we had to dirty every pot in the house. o_O But it turned out very good. And tastes great as leftovers... the orange really intensifies.

Lentil tacos with pineapple salsa! They have become one of my favorite meals. And they are pretty darn good for me too.
:D

That sounds really good. May have to try that!

Last edited:

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
I like asparagus. I do not like trout. At least so far I have not. I want to like fish and seafood, but so far it is a “no” for me.
:D
It was my first time having trout in years, and thankfully was very fresh with no hint of a fishy taste. My usual go-to is usually either fresh salmon, or tuna (canned is acceptable to use in tuna salad).

exps89412_SD2235817D04_19_4bC.jpg

Are you guys eating asparagus/spargel already??? Here, Spargel is practically a pagan religion dedicated to the goddess of spring. In fact, Spargel is almost synonymous with Spring. Supposedly the Roman centurions were already eating Spargel in Vienna back when it was still called Vindobona. Of course, the Christians co-opted the vegetable. Now it’s an Easter thing. Anyway, still a bit early for asparagus here. Maybe in a few weeks. (It’s the white asparagus that everyone is crazy about here.)

On the other hand, Baerlauch has appeared in the market. It’s the first thing that pops up in the Vienna Woods in late March. I think it’s called bear garlic in English. Anyway, Mrs Tiki snapped it up and we had Baerlauch pesto last week. Really good.

This weekend —-because we were trapped and had nothing better to do—- we decided to break out the French Cook Book and make Duck a l’orange with baby potatoes and roast vegetables. Of course, it being a French recipe, we had to dirty every pot in the house. o_O But it turned out very good. And tastes great as leftovers... the orange really intensifies.

That sounds really good. May have to try that!
Asparagus was the foodie equivalent of the Robin Red Breast....a sure sign of spring. But nowadays we import asparagus from Peru and other southern points so we have it all year round. We have everything all year round now....Strawberries, raspberries etc, any veg or fruit is available at reasonable prices.....the seasonal veg/fruit no longer exists.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tonight’s dinner will be boiled potatoes, creamed spinach, and a fried egg on top. At the market today, we snagged the LAST container of frozen creamed spinach. It’s the traditional meal for Maundy Thursday (Gruendonnerstag). I don’t really know the story behind why that particular meal is the custom in these parts, but it’s easy to make and the kids loved it, so it kinda became our tradition too.

Last edited:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Need to stop by FedEx tonite and thought a nearby favorite steakhouse might be included,
then I remembered Covid, called, and they're only doing takeout. Dunno. Meebe, mebbe nada.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points