Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
We love retsina. Tend to drink it only when we cook Greek but for us it is the perfect hot weather picnic drink with a meal. We can only get the Tsantalis brand here now which tends to be a very mild flavoured while we prefer the more robust resiny flavoured.

I never developed a taste for retsina but domestica is wonderful. Ouzo I stay away from completely.

web-dinner-shrimp-6pc.jpg

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I never developed a taste for retsina but domestica is wonderful. Ouzo I stay away from completely.

In Crete Ouzo is considered to be a ladies drink anyway, the tough guys there prefer Raki.

At this end of the pond you’ll get an Ouzo with a seated meal in almost any greek restaurant.

Last edited:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I am sure know that Crete Raki is total different from Ouzo and Raki in Istanbul and the rest of the Aegaean…

Indigenous native batches may be unique across the Aegean however this is a minor point when set
against the main composition of either Ouzo or Raki. I spent two years in the Aegean and sampled
a fair amount of its product, and, in this regard, like corn liquor mash which comprise bourbon or rye
mash for that particular variety of bourbon, it is not apples and oranges but similar ingredients that
comprise generic distilling.

I know the guys on Crete are a tough bunch but so are those gorgeous Turkish gals in Istanbul. ;):D

Harp

I'll Lock Up
You never tried that Crete stuff, do you…:cool::D

After the war I served an advisory tour with the Hellenic Army and spent some time on Crete.
A jump on the island with Greek paras and mountain work, and "that Crete stuff" in Heraklion.:cool::D

Once, in Salonika a bartender whom was a Crete native poured a shot of Ouzo
for me to celebrate his first German soldier kill during the war.
The knife he used hung on the wall behind him.
Yes, Crete guys are a tough bunch.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch