Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

Rosie

One Too Many
After reading and participating in the threads about coffee and favorite dishes, and seeing the wonderful tastes you guys have (of course you would or you wouldn't be here right? ;) ) I'm assuming there have to be some foodies at the Lounge so, who does the cooking in your house? And more importantly, what's for dinner? (or lunch, or breakfast?)

I'll start:

Tonight, I'm having Heirloom tomato salad, with goat cheese and crusty bread I made yesterday. For desert, I'll have sliced mango and papaya.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Yum!

That sounds wonderful!

I am *ahem* The Cook at my house.
chateauneuf.jpg

If I could have a house with a Lacanche or even an Aga, I'd be in high cotton.

Tonight is Caesar Salad with chicken breast. But the fun part is the Indian Pudding I'm going to get started as soon as I get home. Maybe The Durgin-Park recipe will work this time.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
A quick one tonite- big, omelette/tortilla style things with pre-fried potato, red peppers, onions, some Swedish cheese(no- not fried cheese- haloumi do you think I am..?) and jalapenos- plain lettuce and tomato on the side-

Desert? yeh right...

Last night was Indian- most nights are indian around here- in some way, at least. A lot of Salmon and new potatoes with dill gets eaten here, chez BT...

Naama- Goat Cheese rules!!!... and sheep feta.

I like stinky blue cheese sandwiched in between 2 salmon steaks and baked in t'oven.

Scott- Aga-Schmaga.... if it's not original equipment, you're better off without it.

B
T

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I used to cook a lot more when I was married, but living alone's made me awful lazy. But I haven't given up entirely...

Today for breakfast -- bacon and scrambled eggs, cranberry juice, hot tea

Lunch -- Grilled chicken breast sandwich with lettuce, tomato, and Durkee's Sauce on toasted bun.

Supper -- Lizzie's Famous Macaroni and Cheese, which I shall start preparing in an hour or so (I eat early!). Maybe some of my leftover birthday cake for dessert.

Evening Snack -- Matzo with melted mozzarella.

Caledonia

Practically Family
I'm the cook 95% of the time. Tonight's dinner was homemade ratatouille with paprika and thyme for seasoning, served with bread. I've got parsnips, carrots, onions, and a bit of cabbage that need used, so tomorrows lunch will be vegetable stew with a bean of some sort thrown in. I'm a big fan of soya beans and chickpeas. Scotrace - I used to have a solid fuel Rayburn (equivalent of an Aga), and we're installing one here next year. They are a nightmare! Totally tempramental. Can be roastie toastie one minute, but as soon as you need that heat for your dinner party extravaganza, it shuts down and refuses to heat up again. Or, it cons you into thinking it's going to cook perfectly, you turn your back, and everything's toast! :D

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I'm the cook around here. Breakfast and lunch are pretty much the same around here...morning: kids-pancakes and juice, me-coffee....lunch:kids-sandwiches and fruit, me-salad.
Dinner tonight is going to be tortilini w/ marinara sauce, salad and french bread

magneto

Practically Family
What a cute thread idea!
I had coffee for breakfast ;) For dinner I think I have to stop off at the greengrocer and get some salad fixings. The main dish will be couscous with white beans and chopped tomato/scallions/etc. I will also bake a molasses cake.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Aww, come on Doc. Some of the best meals I've had I've cooked for my alone self. And, with nobody else there you don't need a napkin, you can really make a mess, and you can leave the dishes till whenever! I love me as a dinner date :D

Fred G.

Familiar Face
LizzieMaine said:
Supper -- Lizzie's Famous Macaroni and Cheese, which I shall start preparing in an hour or so (I eat early!). Maybe some of my leftover birthday cake for dessert.

Evening Snack -- Matzo with melted mozzarella.

I did not know down-easters (or anyone above the Mason-Dixon line) had "supper"...

That's what we called the evening meal growing up in the deep South...

My supper tonight was lasagna, by the way.

I like a good southern breakfast-supper once in awhile: grits, scrambled eggs, biscuits, bacon...

Rosie

One Too Many
Roger said:
I love to make a wonderful Portuguese dish of bacalau, linguisa and wash it down with Port wine. Perhaps some pao doce, Portuguese sweet bread would be nice.:eusa_clap

Very tasty! I haven't had bacalauitos in quite some time, maybe I'll make some this weekend.

James- not all bacalau is dried, though, and no disrespect to anyone who does eat it dried, it is a bit icky.

Fred G.

Familiar Face
Grits

Zach R. said:
It might be sacrilege coming from someone born and raised in North Carolina, but I've never been a big fan of grits.

Some folks eat them with milk and sugar... That's just wrong, as my kids say.

We eat'em with salt, butter, and just a little pepper. Mix'em right in with your scrambled eggs, and do not make the grits too soupy.

OK, not butter, we use the no trans-fat margarine stuff, and light salt...my wife is determined for us to live forever...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ