Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's in your suitcase?

wahine

Practically Family
I found an interesting article on abandoned suitcases of patients in a psychiatric clinic:
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/art...veal-private-lives-of-insane-asylum-patients/

(the page has many other interesting articles, like here)

What would be in your suitcase?
If you'd go somewhere, not knowing if or when you'd come back? If you'd go to the proverbial desert island, a hospice, deportation...

I'd probably take my diary and pen, Defoe's Robinson Crusoe, a pillow and extrasoft blanket, sleep mask and ear plugs, and a photo of my sister.
If there's still space in the suitcase, the little white Schirmer&Mosel book on Marilyn Monroe and maybe a Jules Verne book, like 20.000 Leages Under the Sea or Journey to the Center of the Earth, eybrow pencil, mascara and bobby pins.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
In the situation of packing to be ready for any unknown fate, perhaps a stop at the bank, filling up with cold hard cash, tossing in one of my handguns for extra backup, my address book, picture of my Husband.

Vera Godfrey

Practically Family
First, the article was both fascinating and sad. I absolutely love the shot of that very first suitcase....just gorgeous!

If I was "going away" like those in the article, I would take a journal and pen, at least a lipstick, bobby pins, items that my children have made me, a photo of my children, knitting needles, patterns, some yarn, and my nook.

If I was going somewhere else (desert island or what have you), I would take everything above, plus one of my vintage cookbooks.

If I had room left, I'd include some clothing.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
When I spent two weeks in the hospital, I took --

Flannel nightgown, because I really hate those stupid hospital things that tie up the back.

Sleep cap, to keep my hair under control and out of sight.

Toothbrush and dentifrice

Eye pillow -- a little thing made out of flannel scraps and stuffed with birdseed. Very restful when you lay it over your eyes before going to sleep.

Reading material -- which I remember as being several books on broadcasting history for a project I was in the middle of working on, and "The Code of the Woosters" by P. G. Wodehouse.

A Big Chief tablet and a pencil for note-taking.

A picture of my cat.

I want to know what the phonograph record is in that first picture. Could it possibly be Chick Webb's recording of "Midnight in a Madhouse?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner