Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's On Your Vanity Table?....

Coopsgirl

New in Town
Y'all have some very cool vanities. I redid my bedroom about a year ago from a Moroccan theme with reds and golds to a 30s starlet type bedroom with light creamy colors. The furniture I bought (lingerie chest, night table, desk that I'm using as the vanity) was actually in the kids section and as a 31 year old woman I felt a little silly buying it but it was exactly what I wanted and since it's kids furniture it's not huge and my room isn't very big. The desk had a hutch but I didn't get it since I was going to use it for a vanity. I collect movie mags from the 20s-40s and in one I have from the early 30s they were showing some actress's boudoirs and some of them were using tables with mirrors hanging over them so that's where I got the idea.

I bought the sun thing at Ross for about $10 bucks and spray painted it a muted gold and I got the mirror for about $20 at Lowe's. I got the stool at Target.

IMG_4908.jpg

IMG_4914.jpg

My stepdad picked up the head vase on the shelf that looks like Veronica Lake at a garage sale for .50 cents. I've had the pink heart shaped box next to her since I was a kid and the pink flower thingee at the edge of it is something my mom has had since I was a kid and she didn't have a place for it anymore so I nabbed it. The pink plate next to it is from the '30s and was part of the Econo-Rim line that was mass produced for diners. These were very sturdy dishes since they would have been used pretty heavily and mine is in mint condition and is from one of of their lines that had color and it has a single rose on it. The hands with rings are new but look vintage and I got them for $7 at Ross and hot glued the ribbon around them.

IMG_4909.jpg

The pink trinket box on the shelf says "Pearls" in pretty cursive and I got it at an antique store and I actually do keep pearls in it. The thing next to it is a powder holder and it says talc and has a cork on the bottom and I got it at the same antique store. The pink flower on the corner is part of the set I pilfered from Mom.

IMG_4910.jpg

Here's a closeup of the hands and the ring on the pinky on the one on the right was my paternal grandmother's wedding ring and she left it to me when she passed away when I was two. The bird is another thing I took from Mom and she got it as a wedding present in '73 but I think it has a 30s look and I've always loved it.

IMG_4911.jpg

The bottle in the middle and the one on the right are from an antique store and so is the Elgin American compact. The other stuff is new.

IMG_4912.jpg

Everything here is vintage except for the Tangee lipstick that I got from the Vermont Country Store. I was so disappointed though b/c on me it looks hot pink :( . None of the powder boxes have ever been used and the Tangee rouge was a travel size that was meant to be carried around for touchups and it's still full and smells wonderful. The tin in the middle was a sample of some Tangee night cream and it's empty.

IMG_4898.jpg

I got these a little over a decade ago at an antique store and they are heavy and real nice. The mirror is perfect and the bristles of the comb and brush are in great shape too.

IMG_4899.jpg

This is an awesome 1920's leather purse with an Egyptian theme (two things I love - the 20s and ancient Egypt) and it's in very nice condition inside and out.

IMG_4913.jpg

I keep all my earrings in an organizer in the top drawer. I don't actually use this for makeup since I do that in the bathroom and since I'm uber-organized and neat I wouldn't like it if it got all messy. This is more for show like you would seen in an old movie or something like that.

Coopsgirl

New in Town
That's neat Miss 1929. I didn't know that brand was still active. I had seen that same face powder in one of my 30s mags and I was so surprised and happy to actually get to see it in person. It took a few months to put all that together and then I kept rearranging it over and over to get it just right and at least for now, I'm happy with the way it's set up. That will change though the next time I get something else to add to it lol .

Your screen name is one of my fave years and I'm trying to collect as many movies from that year as I can; just one of my many weird hobbies :) .

V

Violeta

Coopsgirl: I have that same mirror! I think it's the perfect size as well. I also have the compact that goes with it. I would like to complete the set that I have, would you happen to know the name of the design?

December

One of the Regulars
Here's mine, just put it up yesterday (Excuse my partner's scary computer stuff!)

DSCF3901.jpg

It's newly made, and quite cheap but it's all I can afford at the moment.

It has on it: My beautiful Boots traditional formula things
Perfume and perfume bottle
Vintage jewellery box
Photo of me and my fiance :)

I like it to be uncluttered. The drawers are filled with my make up and hair products.

It also has Bungle living next to it. lol

GlamourDoll

Familiar Face
Here is my vanity:

pic006.jpg

I have old perfum bottles, old photos, photos of myself and my dog, an old camera, old cigarette lighter, 2 candles, pens to take notes with, and my pink laptop. I found it on my neighbors drive way waiting to be picked up by the trash men. The original mirror was smashed and it had different color paint on it. So I painted it white.

lol You can even see my tv in the background with TCM on.

Coopsgirl

New in Town
Violeta, sorry I don’t know the name of the design on my mirror and brush set. I bought it as a set and I didn’t know it had a compact too.

Foofoo Gal, they still have the stool I'm using at Target last time I was in there recently in the section with all the bathroom stuff. I think it was about $40 and it ended up being the perfect size and style. They do have a matching vanity table that goes with it. I think it’s around $80 and comes with a mirror. It was real cute and looked a little similar to mine but smaller.

Glamour doll, I’m glad you were able to save that from the trash man. You did a great job fixing it up. I love the old lighter. I don’t smoke but I think those lighters are cool and I recently picked one up at an antique store. It still sparks too :) .

December

One of the Regulars
I saw the most beautiful dressing table in the British Heart Foundation today for £10! It needs a little love, but it's so gorgeous.

We asked if they would reserve it until we move in September but they wouldn't :( I actually started crying, I wanted it so bad, so my fiance is going back there first thing Monday morning and we will find the space for it somehow.

I just hope it hasn't gone already!

Elaina

One Too Many
Mine now is a chess table that got left with a mirror hanging on the wall over it. I made a silk pillow to sit on to use it.

As to what's on the top is actually chess pieces. Son and I got into a game tonight.

Normally, I keep my makeup bag on top, and that's it. It's kind of small.

ETA: I did forget that I got a crystal vanity set recently. Just like this one: I have no place to use it, but it was on clearance for $5 and I couldn't resist. I forgot I had it until I looked over and saw the box. One day..

*Schatzi*

Familiar Face
My 1940's vanity...

This is my vanity. Don't have too much on it yet as I just got it a few weeks ago. But I love it!!! And it was free!!! I also have the matching dresser. Got it from my mom's friend who was donating it to a church garage sale. It was part of the set her aunt received as a wedding present in the 1940's.

The 2 fave things I have on it is my great aunt's 1950's pinup on a swing planter as a makeup brush holder and my 1950's table lighter that looks like a grammaphone. The little metal record is removable, the horn adjustable and when you put the arm over the record ot plays, "Smoke gets in your eyes".

DSCF1148.jpg

DSCF1151.jpg

DSCF1152.jpg

V

Violeta

Heres my vanity. I got it about a month ago, from craigslist, it was for $100. I simply love it!
3785708867_bf3ccd5411.jpg

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Voodoo Kitten said:
I haven't posted on here in ages, but I do still lurk.

I just got this yesterday, so nothing is on it yet... just thought I'd share. Not sure what year it is from??

Vanity.jpg

Excuse me here ladies, I saw this lovely vanity and had to comment on it since I'm crazy about old furniture.

That is a very unique mirror on that piece! And it came with the bench! That style is waterfall and was popular in the late 30s into the late 40s... You'll even see traces of the "Waterfall" style into the early 50s! In this case, I'm going to say that, that vanity is pre WWII between 1939 and 1941. That's what I feel when I see it.

My girlfriend bought a beautiful late 30s vanity not too long ago, I'll see if she wants to post a photo of it... To answer the question "What's on your vanity?" I'll answer for her... EVERYTHING! lol :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot