Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

I had more than my share of tofu growing up and I had pretty much the same impression. When I was a kid in L.A. there was a guy who used to sell tofu from a truck! To this day I avoid tofu as much as possible. Though recently, as I recounted in the "What's for Breakfast?" thread I had some vegetarian chorizo, basically flavored tofu! I was grocery shopping with my housemates when they handed it to me asking if I would chip in for it. I said, sure, no problem, thinking it was the standard pork or beef version. I didn't realize what it was until we got home. lol

And the you felt like a sucker. :p

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Tofu is by far preferable to t.v.p.
At least it is what it is.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
Or Spamalope.
I'll take it if it's in season.

spamalopes.jpg
:D

Agreed on the online applications.
I hate those. Attach this, and answer that (if giving a no answer, you may not proceed with the application). :eusa_doh:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
To show you how little I know about non meat based foods, I was picturing Quiche the whole time you all were talking about tofu! I don't like either. :puke:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I can't understand someone liking spam but turning up their nose at tofu on principle. (It's one thing if you've actually had well-prepared tofu and don't like it; it's another thing to just be against it all without having tried a good preparation. I know there's texture issues.) I've had spam in my life (probably far too much- there was a time when that was the only meat my family ever ate). I've had tofu in my life (also probably too much because of my recent eating habits). Both are pretty much ground up matter. Among the vegetarian proteins, tofu IS the spam of the lot. (Cheap, plentiful, comes packed in a bit of water... sound familiar?)

Best way to eat tofu? As a substitute for Paneer in Indian cooking. Or in a stir fry. I know what I'm making tomorrow....

To my knowledge the only time I've eaten tofu was when it was included as small cubes in the Miso soup served in the local Japanese restaurants I've visited. Not bad, but I don't think it's something I'd want an entire meal made from regardless of how it's flavored. I've tried Spam once; the flavor wasn't bad, but it was FAR too salty for my tastes.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've actually had tofu as an ingredient at a Thai restaurant, and it wasn't half bad -- the trick, I guess, is to drown it in seasonings to give it some kind of flavor.

I came across a stack of war-era "American Cookery" magazines recently. This was a publication put out by the Boston Cooking School, the same people who published the Fannie Farmer cookbook, and generally stood for straight-across-the-table working-class American food. One issue featured a piece about the "miracle soy bean" or something like that, in which much mention was made of how soy beans could be curdled and pressed into blocks making an agreeable meat substitute to help when the red points ran short. This was, of course, tofu. Nowadays, you couldn't sell something just called "bean curd" -- the Boys know that it has to have a properly ethnic name to appeal to the sophisticated middle-class palate.

The best part of Spam is the aspic. If they can figure out how to pack tofu in aspic, now that might be something.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
There was quite a lot of tofu on the table at some of the dinners I attended in Beijing last week. Not a fan myself; I don't care for the texture (though the harder stuff that is produced by forcing out more of the water is somewhat more bearable). I much preferred the donkey meat, which has a taste very similar to good beef, though much less fibrous.

I believe there is a low sodium Spam if you get the craving.
I've seen that on the shelves at the local supermarket, but I'm not sure Spam is something I need to add to my diet. :D

Speaking of cravings.. Spam and Tabasco sauce. Yum.
Jeez, why didn't I think of that?

I like it sliced thin and fried crispy with scrambled eggs.....mmmmm.
Now we're getting somewhere! Spam and scrambled eggs with tabasco sauce covered in cheese! :essen:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn