Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

Dragon Soldier

One of the Regulars
Re Gents hair.

At a very early stage in my life I discovered that by keeping my hair very neat, a grade 2, I could have more time in bed, less time in front of a mirror and generally feel cleaner in grotty circumstances than if it were longer.

I've deviated from it a couple of times, mostly when I was still young and experimenting with "style".

But it's pretty much remained the same now for about 25 years. Once I can grip my hair between my knuckles... It's time to deploy the razor.

I doubt I'll change it now.

Otis

New in Town
Something I'd like to see gone: No Fault Divorce. This is a forty year old experiment that rests on the ridiculous premise that who was 'doing' whom doesn't matter.

While I'm on the subject, I'd like to see divorce laws reflect a "winner take all" system, where the innocent spouse gets everything, and the guilty one walks away with nothing but the clothes on his/her back.
This would raise the cost of adultery to a frightening level and cut the incidence dramatically.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Another noisome trend that needs to go away: the idea of "upgrading" wedding or engagement rings. Goes right along with the general disposabilty of "starter" marriages.
Upgrading rings?
My wife and I bought what we could afford, we didn't have any options of "upgrading" anything.
Of course after a burglary years later, those rings are gone. [huh]

Upgrading rings?
My wife and I bought what we could afford, we didn't have any options of "upgrading" anything.
Of course after a burglary years later, those rings are gone. [huh]

"Upgrading" a ring means you trade in what you could afford when you got married for something bigger/more expensive years later when you can. I'm not sure why anyone would want to do that either.

Otis

New in Town
A general tip on engagement rings -- military bases are known for unstable quickie romances that don't last.
So, head for the nearest pawnshop or three outside of a base. They will be loaded with castoff, barely used engagement sets, cheap.

A word to the wise: don't tell your lady her engagement ring came from a pawnshop!

BigFitz

Practically Family
44.jpg

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I have both hard water and the job of keeping the shower doors clean. A little spray of vinegar solution and squeegee after every shower work wonders. Couple that with a routine weekly cleaning, and my shower doors are clean as a whistle.

Here is a water hardness map: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://water.usgs.gov/owq/images/HardnessMap.gif&imgrefurl=http://water.usgs.gov/owq/hardness-alkalinity.html&h=416&w=580&sz=65&tbnid=W0tZPaD3nCU_pM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=125&zoom=1&usg=__4U3YUxsN-06g18eBj1DTtytSxcg=&docid=ZaO7ZwIahuZbOM&sa=X&ei=MtcXUtzWNrfk4APd5oAI&ved=0CC4Q9QEwAA&dur=2585. Unless you live in one of those red areas, I'm going to suggest you don't really have hard water.

Although the fact that you can keep your shower doors clean with a vinegar "solution" (likely vinegar diluted with something), a squeegy, and a weekly cleaning is also indicative that you likely don't live in a true hard water area. Most of us living in hard water areas (truly hard water areas) have had to resort to much stronger cleaners, degreasers, and acids, and a much much stricter cleaning schedule than a simple "spray down" and a "weekly cleaning."

Besides, nothing is more modern than a tacky shower door. Hate the damned look of the things personally.

I am all for natural stone, but people need to realize it's not all created equal. People also need to think about all the waste of cutting products out of the landscape to only use them until the next time they want a new kitchen or bath. I am also a little disgusted with all the waste that goes into hauling natural stone from one area of the country (where it is "native") to another (where it is unavailable), yet alone across the world. But that's just me.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A general tip on engagement rings -- military bases are known for unstable quickie romances that don't last.
So, head for the nearest pawnshop or three outside of a base. They will be loaded with castoff, barely used engagement sets, cheap.

A word to the wise: don't tell your lady her engagement ring came from a pawnshop!

I know my ring's from a pawn shop and I'm proud of the fact that we saved so much money on it. It was worn by a woman for a long, long time before me (she received it in 1928 and it was sold in the 2000s). It's been professionally appraised twice for over 10 times the money we put into it (cost of buying it and repairing it, which was $500 total).

It makes me damned proud to have been that thrifty, besides the fact that I love the ring itself.

Here is a water hardness map: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://water.usgs.gov/owq/images/HardnessMap.gif&imgrefurl=http://water.usgs.gov/owq/hardness-alkalinity.html&h=416&w=580&sz=65&tbnid=W0tZPaD3nCU_pM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=125&zoom=1&usg=__4U3YUxsN-06g18eBj1DTtytSxcg=&docid=ZaO7ZwIahuZbOM&sa=X&ei=MtcXUtzWNrfk4APd5oAI&ved=0CC4Q9QEwAA&dur=2585. Unless you live in one of those red areas, I'm going to suggest you don't really have hard water.

Although the fact that you can keep your shower doors clean with a vinegar "solution" (likely vinegar diluted with something), a squeegy, and a weekly cleaning is also indicative that you likely don't live in a true hard water area. Most of us living in hard water areas (truly hard water areas) have had to resort to much stronger cleaners, degreasers, and acids, and a much much stricter cleaning schedule than a simple "spray down" and a "weekly cleaning."

Besides, nothing is more modern than a tacky shower door. Hate the damned look of the things personally.

I am all for natural stone, but people need to realize it's not all created equal. People also need to think about all the waste of cutting products out of the landscape to only use them until the next time they want a new kitchen or bath. I am also a little disgusted with all the waste that goes into hauling natural stone from one area of the country (where it is "native") to another (where it is unavailable), yet alone across the world. But that's just me.

I live in a white area now, but formerly lived in the deepest section of red, water so hard that you couldn't drink it. Just never had a problem cleaning shower doors. I get that you find them unattractive.

As for the waste, I think you'd find issues with the manufacture of any building product.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We still have tons of abandoned granite chunks along the shore, left from the days of large-scale quarrying a hundred-odd years ago, and I've seen people try to haul them off in pickup trucks for whatever purpose they might have in mind. If you want a smaller piece for something, it's there for the taking.

What I hate to see is that granite being used for fine, monumental buildings that could have lasted hundreds of years, only to be pounded into rubble in a generation or two just to satisfy the rapacious maw of "progress". We had a gorgeous post office downtown, made from local granite, a proud and noble building, but it was destroyed in 1970 to make way for a -- parking lot. It wasn't Penn Station in terms of its architectural majesty, but it's missed just as much.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I live in a white area now, but formerly lived in the deepest section of red, water so hard that you couldn't drink it. Just never had a problem cleaning shower doors. I get that you find them unattractive.

As for the waste, I think you'd find issues with the manufacture of any building product.

I've seen hard water etch a door. Seriously eat through the plexi-glass so that the hard water stains are actually dug into the door. However, I think it might be easier to keep clean on "real" glass doors rather than anything coated with plastic. I know fiberglass and acrylic is difficult to clean with hard water, so perhaps it is the plexiglass then that has me hating shower doors? (don't know if all shower doors are plexiglass?) Next house there is no plastic going in any shower. I'd rather have to bathe outside with a bucket in the snow right next to the road in the middle of the day than have plastic anyplace near the shower.

JonnyO

A-List Customer
I don't exactly know if they're modern or not, but I seem to see them a lot more these days, dreadlocks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner