Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Young white female bloggers who all write in that insufferable, identical "millenial voice" -- pseudo-sophisticated, world-weary, ever so blase, unconscious of their own privilege and wondering, at 23, if that's all there is to life. And functionally incapable of writing a single sentence without using some permutation of the F-word. Kids, you're not ever going to be Lena Dunham, and you ought to be thankful for that.

Nah, I don't mind them getting older and more able to do more heavy lifting around the house. :p The bigger and stronger the better. I have plenty of jobs for them. :p

Either that or Minions. :p

Despicable-me-2-many-minions-pp33148.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Lena's a whiny, overprivileged upper-middle-class white girl from New York who, thanks to an annoying TV show and an uncontrollable tendency to share the most unedifying aspects of her private life with millions, has been anointed as "the voice of her generation." Ick.

Around here, we had "Leapin' Lena," a tricked-up Model T that used buck up and down on its rear wheels in all the local parades. She was much more entertaining.

Miss Carol gets only wet food, but the smell doesn't bother me -- I live a quarter of a mile from a factory that cooks seaweed.

Interesting point!
This is still a real popular question in old Germany. The question, if all houses/household of cat owners smell or even stink.

But I can only say this:
In the early 90s, my grandaunt and granduncle still had their last cat, which became 20. And every time, you stepped into their apartment, the strong smell had the same level. Not totally disgusting, but also not yummy. Not a smell of piss, but a very meaty smell of probably cat food. Similar to the smell of dry pet food, but def. not dry food, back in these days. But this smell is unforgetable, when you experienced it as a kid!

Today, I know another "cat apartment", but I cannot exactly say, if there's a strong smell of animal stuff. It hasn't the smell of my grandaunt's apartment. I think, there's a smell of the cat toilet, because piss + pumice stone-litter. But it's not that super strong.

My female friend had or still has cats in her apartment, too. But I can't remember a special smell.

Last edited:
The so-called “smart” speaker.

We had one, briefly, a couple years ago. I can see how it has a real utility for people with more limited physical mobility. But I found it creepy to have a normal conversation interrupted by that damned thing asking me what it thought I might have asked it to do.

The lovely missus gave it to a coworker. I haven’t missed it.

Interesting point!
This is still a real popular question in old Germany. The question, if all houses/household of cat owners smell or even stink.

But I can only say this:
In the early 90s, my grandaunt and granduncle still had their last cat, which became 20. And every time, you stepped into their apartment, the strong smell had the same level. Not totally disgusting, but also not yummy. Not a smell of piss, but a very meaty smell of probably cat food. Similar to the smell of dry pet food, but def. not dry food, back in these days. But this smell is unforgetable, when you experienced it as a kid!

Today, I know another "cat apartment", but I cannot exactly say, if there's a strong smell of animal stuff. It hasn't the smell of my grandaunt's apartment. I think, there's a smell of the cat toilet, because piss + pumice stone-litter. But it's not that super strong.

My female friend had or still has cats in her apartment, too. But I can't remember a special smell.

I’m not generally one to recommend products, but this stuff called The World’s Best Cat Litter lives up to its name. If the cat keeper tends to the litter box daily, sifting out the doo-doo and the clumps that form with the pee-pee, there is no odor, leastwise none that I can detect.

It doesn’t come cheap, but it lasts longer than the lesser stuff (which they don’t give away), and really, what price a house free of the smell of cat pee?

And it doesn’t cling to the plastic cat box, which spares me the unpleasant task of scraping and scrubbing the urine-soaked litter from the interior of the litter box, as I had to do with the clay type litter.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto