Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
People feeding their dogs & cats vegetarian & vegan diets.
It's a money making thing.
With proper care, your dog will live the lifespan the breed states.
Unless you feed them cheap crap like, well I'm not going to mention that brand here, but "Sam" sells it at his stores.
I have one dog on a special food due to liver problems, but it can't be helped.
We always kid she's been drinking behind the shed. :D

People feeding their dogs & cats vegetarian & vegan diets.
Not only would I not miss these people, I believe they should be prosecuted for cruelty and mistreatment; decorum and the language filter forbid me to state how I really feel about these imbeciles.

If you're a human being that makes a conscious decision to become a vegetarian or vegan for whatever reason, that's fine; humans are omnivores, and our physiology is suited for ingesting plants. But dogs are carnivores, and cats are obligate carnivores; by nature they need meat in their diets in order to remain healthy. They have neither flat molars for grinding plant matter, nor the long intestines and enzymes required to properly digest plant matter, so they are wholly incompatible with a vegetarian or vegan diet. Either can ingest minor amounts of plant matter occasionally (dogs more so than cats), but it must not be their primary diet if you want them to live a long and healthy life.

Last edited:
Speaking of "hot", that's another thing the gets my blood boiling--idiots who take their dogs out for a walk during the day without taking the temperature of the pavement into consideration. This subject came up last night when my wife and I were walking our dog, and a young neighbor lady commented that she thought her itty bitty little poodle-esque dog (I have no idea what breed it is, but it's tiny and cute) might have burned the pads on one of it's paws. I told her, "Take off your shoes and walk barefooted on the pavement. If it's too hot for you, it's too hot for your dog." She confessed that had never occurred to her, and she thanked me for the advice. Granted, there is a difference between the skin on the pads of a dog's paw and the skin on the sole of a *human's foot, but the concept is sound.

*Most humans, that is. I have a strong dislike of shoes and, as such, walk barefooted a lot, so the soles of my feet are a bit tougher than most. :D

Pets need to be fed what's healthy for them. One of my dogs has severe allergies, and is on a special salmon and potato diet. It works wonders for him, though it's three times as expensive as the food my other dog eats. If for some reason your pet needs a special diet, by all means feed it to him/her. But it breaks my heart and boils my blood when people do things with their pets for their own benefit and not the benefit of the animal.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Year-round DST has been done twice -- during the war, and during the energy crisis in the mid-seventies. It stunk walking to school in the dark, even though the school issued reflector tape to stick to our coats so we wouldn't get run over.

I don't know if daylight savings time qualifies as modern, but I wouldn't mind getting rid of it.
Preach it loud, brother!!! Daylight saving time serves little or no useful purpose in the modern world and should be dispensed with. Set the clocks back to standard time and announce, "Okay folks, that's it, you'll never have to deal with it again!"

Pets need to be fed what's healthy for them. One of my dogs has severe allergies, and is on a special salmon and potato diet. It works wonders for him, though it's three times as expensive as the food my other dog eats. If for some reason your pet needs a special diet, by all means feed it to him/her. But it breaks my heart and boils my blood when people do things with their pets for their own benefit and not the benefit of the animal.
Absolutely. Our Miniature Schnauzer had a bout with gastroenteritis when he was still a young pup and it was determined he has a "sensitive stomach" (as his vet described it), so we have to keep him away from beef, wheat, and dairy products, and feed him a higher quality dog food. It is more expensive than the garbage you find at the local supermarket, but it's well worth it to keep him healthy and happy.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The "portmanteau" fad.

Interstate highways.

People who think they understand a complex topic because they watched a "TED talk."

Sunglasses when the sun isn't out.

Scratch tickets.

People who stop right in front of the store exit to scratch their scratch tickets and then throw them on the floor when they don't win.

Businesses with cutesy or "ironic" names.

People who don't own a raincoat and complain about getting wet.

Credit card "reward programs" that make you thing you're getting a deal when you're only being driven deeper into debt.

Scented room fresheners.

Rent-to-own franchises.

Lindseyan dispensationalism.

Little kids drinking "energy drinks."

Low-profile tires.

Magazine covers that all look exactly alike -- a dozen blurbs with lots of exclamation points surrounding a half-dressed, open-mouthed, pneumatic-breasted woman.

Those direct-mail ads with a fake car key glued to the envelope.

Rubber bracelets.

The fetishization of statistics.

The phrase "gap year."

Zombies.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I have to agree to some point with you Lizzie.
Most of the scented room fresheners get on my nerves.
However, a couple remind me of my grandmother, which is why I have them.
One smells like the old glade flower scent from the early 70's, one of fresh clean cotton (like she had just taken items off the clothes line), and one like balsam and cedar like the trees she'd have at Christmas.

Cheap furniture. I know this has always been around, but I've noticed a lot of unassembled furniture at stores that used to have a better quality. This has forced me to visit estate sales where I can find older furniture that is very well made, at a reasonable price.

Won't use them, if I don't have to. I had to go to Endeavor today and was plenty happy taking the County Roads instead.

Interstate highways.

Around here, people insist on not wearing a jacket, no matter what. Then they complain they're cold or when they get sick. Hello, this is WISCONSIN. There's snow on the ground half the year.

People who don't own a raincoat and complain about getting wet.

Another thing I just don't understand. They look incredibly unsafe and cost a fortune.

Low-profile tires.

I just don't understand this craze.

...Little kids drinking "energy drinks"...
I would change this to "energy drinks" period. A good friend of mine got "hooked" on these stupid things when he was in his late 40s and needed to keep his energy levels up at work. He had to stop because he had developed a rise in blood pressure and arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat).

...Zombies...
Hey, now wait a minute... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy