Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

Heh. Back in the days when I drove, I didn't like laid back seats of any sort (or, for that matter, driving - what bliss to live in a city with a reasonable public transport network!). I used to have them rigid, bolt upright... I'd probably fit better in a truck than a sports car.

My assumption would be that the headlight bulb going out was to allow the indicator flasher to be seen more clearly, showing you're turning. I've never seen that feature before, though - I'd have assumed it was a fault too, but I've not driven since February 1999.

Oh, don't even get me started on Plastic Paddies. Typically the first to throw into the bucket for bombs too.... (but let's not go through that door labelled Verboten, eh? ;) ).

I have a bit of the Irish and Scotch in me---Bushmills and Macallan. :p

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
A couple of years ago my wife and I attended her Goddaughter's wedding in Chicago, and the rental company gave us a new(ish) 2011 Jeep Patriot. While we were driving at night, we noticed the headlights would dim considerably whenever I used the turn indicators, but didn't know the full extent of the "problem" until after we had followed one of her brothers to a relative's house. When we arrived he got out of his car laughing and told us, "Your car was winking at us!". The "dimming" was actually the headlight turning off on whichever side of the car was indicating a turn, i.e. the left headlight would turn off when I indicated a left turn and the right headlight would turn off when I indicated a right turn. When we returned the car I informed the attendant of this problem, and he immediately replied, "Oh no, that's a safety feature." Really? Providing the driver with less light while driving at night is a safety feature??? :twitch:

It's a feature on many newer Chryslers, but that shouldn't happen at night! I have the Jeep Liberty where I work, a whole mess of them. I do mean mess. From falling back door windows, to overheating due to the cooling fan not working, lighters going out when you run a laptop, rough ride, and bad gas mileage (13mpg). One DID have a headlight issue, the low beams didn't work, but the high beams did. I got a call on that guy every so often for almost blinding people on the way to work, during the winter. This is why I use the Ford Escape. Much more reliable, better ride, and better gas mileage. The best Jeep ever made, and the most reliable (I'm biased because I have one) is the Cherokee. While they are re-introducing the model, I'm not sure it will be the same.
James has a Cadillac with lipstick instead of a cigar lighter? That's was an odd feature in the 80's.
Probably belonged to Bret Michaels. :D

James has a Cadillac with lipstick instead of a cigar lighter? That's was an odd feature in the 80's.
Probably belonged to Bret Michaels. :D

Uh, no that was Tom's attempt to say that the Escalade is a chick car. lol lol
The 86 Brougham has four cigarette lighters in it. Then again, they all did from the 1960s versions on down to the 90s versions. Every door has an ashtray and a lighter. :p A cigar smoker's dream car. :p Not that I have ever smoked in mine.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
The 86 Brougham has four cigarette lighters in it. Then again, they all did from the 1960s versions on down to the 90s versions. Every door has an ashtray and a lighter. :p A cigar smoker's dream car. :p Not that I have ever smoked in mine.

Silverado owners do that James.
It's sad really, but to be honest I think he misses the Dart.
Your Cadillac is an 86?
I've seen a mid 70's Coupe for sale, on the way home from work.
It's been for sale for weeks, but I'm not sure I need to buy it.
I can't invest any money in my streetrod right now, so I really wouldn't be able to do anything with this car should I buy it.

Your Cadillac is an 86?
I can't invest any money in my streetrod right now, so I really wouldn't be able to do anything with this car should I buy it.

It is not the vehicle that makes it a chick car, it's the man.
:D

I'm with you on that one. I always prefer to sit upright, unless taking a nap in my recliner!

Heh. Back in the days when I drove, I didn't like laid back seats of any sort (or, for that matter, driving - what bliss to live in a city with a reasonable public transport network!). I used to have them rigid, bolt upright... I'd probably fit better in a truck than a sports car.

Oh, I thought maybe GM was offering an 'F-series' now.

My Caddy has them in each door, as did my '79 Electra. Definitely a smoker's dream car. Too bad I don't smoke in my vehicles.

I always joked with a co-worker of mine. He always parked next to my Grand Marquis wagon with his Miata. I'd tell him to park inside the wagon, so we could save parking spaces.

No, it has two lighter receptacles but I think they are more for charging ithingies than for actually lighting anything. :p The Broughams have one on each door. :p Four lighters. :p That would make sense for today's technophiles. I wonder why they put less in? CHEAP!

Yes, a luxury car should not only get you there in style but in comfort as well. You should also be able to put lots of suitcases in the trunk for long trips. I went to the store recently and when I opened my trunk the rice rocket owner next to me marveled at how much space there was. I should have told them not to be surprised if their car wasn't there when they came out. I might put it in my trunk and take off with it. :p

I wish they'd bring back the Wagoneer and make it with METAL, not plastic.

The best Jeep ever made, and the most reliable (I'm biased because I have one) is the Cherokee. While they are re-introducing the model, I'm not sure it will be the same.

No, the Escalade is not a chick car. I'd drive one. I just assumed you'd get that 'F-series' model I mentioned earlier.

...Weird feature if it is one.
That is an awful feature!
...That's a terrible idea! I like more light when I'm turning, not less. Cornering lamps have always been the way to go, for the extra lighting. I have no idea why Jeep would do the exact opposite.
When we had returned home after the trip I did a little research on the ol' Interwebz in an attempt to determine the truth, but didn't find anything. To this day I still don't know if it's actually an intentional design feature, or if it was an electrical malfunction and the attendant had that "safety feature" line rehearsed to avoid having to deal with a dissatisfied customer. Considering some of the stories I've heard about the quality (or lack thereof) of some of the newer Jeeps, my money's on the latter. It did get us from place to place safely and not too uncomfortably, but I'd never own one.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Zombie, it was an electrical malfunction.
Sadly, and not by my choosing, I have 34 Jeeps in my fleet.
One of those is a Cherokee (one of the last models) and it's trouble free.
A bit persnikity at times, but it's one of the most reliable Jeep products I've ever driven.
It's the "rescue" vehicle when another one breaks down, or gets stuck.
As for the Liberty. Wow, something smells around here right after I typed that word. :D
It is without a doubt the WORST vehicle we've ever had. Right idea, wrong product.
Couple in a bad gas tank design on the 06, for which their solution is to put a trailer hitch on the frame to protect the tank (in case of rear end collisions).
The Patriot is bigger than the Compass, which is probably based on a PT Cruiser/Caliber platform.
Round headlights do not make it a Jeep and to profane the name by putting that on the vehicle, goes against all that is decent.

I'll add to the tech gadgets, blue tooth technology.
While a hands free phone is a good idea, it's still a distraction while driving. And I can assure you MANY of the people I see on the phone (while driving) need to focus on one thing at a time, driving. This is why the insurance on my car went UP this year. As the car gets older it's supposed to cost less, but not where I live. Plus with the hands free, you see someone riding around laughing and talking away WITH NO ONE ELSE IN THE CAR. Coconuts or not, I'd rather know what I'm dealing with than to "assume" they are on the phone. :eusa_doh:

Your Cadillac is an 86?

A 75 Coupe? You mean like a 75 Eldorado with the big 500 ci in it? Send it here. I'll take it. :p
Yep, mine is an 86. Sort of like this except Corinthian blue and clean. :p
800px-1982_cadillac_fleetwood_brougham.jpg

I'm with you on that one. I always prefer to sit upright, unless taking a nap in my recliner!

Oh, I thought maybe GM was offering an 'F-series' now.

My Caddy has them in each door, as did my '79 Electra. Definitely a smoker's dream car. Too bad I don't smoke in my vehicles.

I always joked with a co-worker of mine. He always parked next to my Grand Marquis wagon with his Miata. I'd tell him to park inside the wagon, so we could save parking spaces.

I wish they'd bring back the Wagoneer and make it with METAL, not plastic.

No, the Escalade is not a chick car. I'd drive one. I just assumed you'd get that 'F-series' model I mentioned earlier.

F series?! Uh, no. Mine is a ESV Platinum that is all. :p

A Miata?! Now THAT is a chick car. Only thing worse is anything VW. :p

A metal Wagoneer? I think I may have heard of that before---twenty years ago. :p

I'll add to the tech gadgets, blue tooth technology.
While a hands free phone is a good idea, it's still a distraction while driving. And I can assure you MANY of the people I see on the phone (while driving) need to focus on one thing at a time, driving. This is why the insurance on my car went UP this year. As the car gets older it's supposed to cost less, but not where I live. Plus with the hands free, you see someone riding around laughing and talking away WITH NO ONE ELSE IN THE CAR. Coconuts or not, I'd rather know what I'm dealing with than to "assume" they are on the phone. :eusa_doh:

The Escalade has the voice activated phone thing. I am sure someone has seen me talking to myself before. :p The on thing I like about OnStar is that they will dial up a restaurant or hotel and make reservations for you on the fly. No fuss, no muss. :D

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Katie Couric.

I'd like to add Matt Lauer to the list. He seems like a grade A you-know-what.

Whether it's accurate or not, I associate Katie Couric with the trend to have "fluff" on the news. Not just feel good stories, but crud that isn't even news filling most of the hour. I don't know if that's fair or not, but she seemed to be the first newscaster of the three big networks who did it and now I can't stand to watch the news on any channel. That and she's always annoyed me, so I'm more than happy to blame her, even falsely.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'd like to add Matt Lauer to the list. He seems like a grade A you-know-what.

Whether it's accurate or not, I associate Katie Couric with the trend to have "fluff" on the news. Not just feel good stories, but crud that isn't even news filling most of the hour. I don't know if that's fair or not, but she seemed to be the first newscaster of the three big networks who did it and now I can't stand to watch the news on any channel. That and she's always annoyed me, so I'm more than happy to blame her, even falsely.

For years I watched "Today" every morning in hopes of finally seeing the moment when a guest stands up and punches Lauer in the mouth.

As for Couric, she's been fingernails on the blackboard to me from the first moment I saw her. I was a staunch Jane Pauley fan, and Couric seemed like a mediocre kindergarten teacher by comparison -- trying too hard to be likable, irritating voice, and too many twitchy mannerisms for me to tolerate for very long.

And now to see CBS trying to build her up like some kind of towering figure of journalism, pfffft. The idea that she's some kind of pioneering female reporter worthy of honor and admiration is a joke -- Dorothy Kilgallen would have eaten her for lunch and used her bones to pick her teeth.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Sorry, could be 1978.
It's similar to this shade, which is Cedar Firemist.
cadillac.jpg
Great condition.
I need to stop, but then what if it's something I can afford?
I'd break my own rule of not bringing things home other than groceries.
Oh and estate sale items. :D
Today when I drove by though, there wasn't a for sale sign on it.
Hmmm.

Katie Couric, she was on an episode of Pawn Stars and ruined the show for me.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
For years I watched "Today" every morning in hopes of finally seeing the moment when a guest stands up and punches Lauer in the mouth.

As for Couric, she's been fingernails on the blackboard to me from the first moment I saw her. I was a staunch Jane Pauley fan, and Couric seemed like a mediocre kindergarten teacher by comparison -- trying too hard to be likable, irritating voice, and too many twitchy mannerisms for me to tolerate for very long.

And now to see CBS trying to build her up like some kind of towering figure of journalism, pfffft. The idea that she's some kind of pioneering female reporter worthy of honor and admiration is a joke -- Dorothy Kilgallen would have eaten her for lunch and used her bones to pick her teeth.

I don't even think Couric is a good Oprah replacement. Couric irritates me in the same way as she does you, nails on the blackboard. At least Oprah wasn't irritating and didn't try to make herself out to be something she wasn't. Couric hits me as fake which means she's not even good at being fake. I saw one episode of her show, Katie, that's supposed to be the Oprah replacement and I'd rather have watched 25 hours of Oprah. And I hate talk shows in general.

I'd actually like to see Ann Curry punch Matt Lauer in the face, but that's another thing. In that whole fiasco notice that hoards of people who worked with Matt weren't rushing forward and clamoring to support their dear friend. To me that backs up his on-air persona.

Sorry, could be 1978.
It's similar to this shade, which is Cedar Firemist.
View attachment 4248
Great condition.
I need to stop, but then what if it's something I can afford?
I'd break my own rule of not bringing things home other than groceries.
Oh and estate sale items. :D
Today when I drove by though, there wasn't a for sale sign on it.
Hmmm.

Katie Couric, she was on an episode of Pawn Stars and ruined the show for me.

Nice, with the big 425 in it I believe. It wasn't the 500 that it replaced but it was anemic either. :p
My 75 Eldorado is in Firemist red. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy