Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
The cars or the ladies?
:D

Well, I prefer cranks to self-starters, Clinchers to "Straight Sided", "Roi des Belges" to Torpedo. Plain is O. K. They need be neither fashionable, nor elegant, just strong and reliable. Above all, they must be fitted with running boards.

"A country girl, you know, is just like a Ford. Not very stylish, but for service? Oh, Lord!

Plain i

Well, I prefer cranks to self-starters, Clinchers to "Straight Sided", "Roi des Belges" to Torpedo. Plain is O. K. They need be neither fashionable, nor elegant, just strong and reliable. Above all, they must be fitted with running boards.

"A country girl, you know, is just like a Ford. Not very stylish, but for service? Oh, Lord!

Plain i

lol

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Mobster house eh? Then the car would have been well taken care of. Washed after every killing. Go for it. Just be REALLY nice.

I can smell the bleach from the street. :eeek:
Don't tempt me, really.
While it looks good, no telling what's wrong with it.
And my streetrod has taken a backseat for 20yrs to several cars.
There will be other classics to own, maybe even a Mark III. ;)

3fingers

One Too Many
LizzieMaine, I have enjoyed your lists in this thread. I obviously don't get out much though since I have had to Google quite a few of them.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The word "veggie."

Sherpa hats.

Sherpa hats in summer.

People who think there is ever, under any circumstances, a legitimate need to drive 65mph on a twisty, two-lane country road.

Stainless-steel "commercial style" kitchens where the heaviest cooking ever done is the microwaving of a Lean Cuisine.

Lean Cuisine.

Stat-heads.

People who confuse a "want" with a "need."

The Prosperity Gospel.

The phrase "low-hanging fruit."

J. J. Abrams.

Passing on the right.

People whose think a tan darker than their hair is a good look.

Sorghum-mouthed tourists who say "Oh, I love your accent."

Automated phone systems that try to sound casual and chatty.

Chin-strap beards.

The "buff" 21st Century male physique: bull neck, pumped-up shoulders, barrel chest, low waist, and stumpy little Charlie Brown legs.

The word "buff" when not referring to the act of polishing a smooth surface, or the color of George Washington's lapels.

Vinyl stick-on window signs in ugly computer typefaces.

People who use the acronym "MSM."

Plastic paint cans.

"Whimsical" decor.

People who've only been Red Sox fans since 2004 who say "Do you think they'll blow it this year?"

The word "sheeple," especially when used by rabid followers of any internet cult.

Cilantro.

newsman

One of the Regulars
Microwave ovens. Is it that hard to use the stove? It takes a few minutes longer but I swear everything tastes better when it's not been nuked. Besides...I don't like to stand there looking like Pavlov's dog.

-Newsman-

Last edited:

Otis

New in Town
I'll bite on a couple of these...

People who think there is ever, under any circumstances, a legitimate need to drive 65mph on a twisty, two-lane country road.

Need? No, but given a car with an eager engine, a capable suspension and the right mood, it can be euphoric. Try it sometime. ;)

The Prosperity Gospel.

Agreed, this one particularly irksome because it's such an obvious con. The Biblical path to wealth is laid out in the Wisdom books, particularly Proverbs. Tithing, knowing your business thoroughly, relentless hard, smart work and a high thrift rate -- this leads to getting rich slowly, and the character to handle it.

The "buff" 21st Century male physique: bull neck, pumped-up shoulders, barrel chest, low waist, and stumpy little Charlie Brown legs.

The last few decades' female ideal is even more ridiculous - she's a bone skinny stick insect, with a big bust, swollen lips and bleached, streaked, unkempt hair. Gag.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I honestly wouldn't worry about the male ideal or male physique or whatever.

As Otis says, I would be far more concerned about the female bodily ideal in the 21st century.

And while we're on that subject...

I really cannot stand those stupid "model" TV shows. *Country's* Next Top Model, and all that junk.

I remember a story about these two supermodels. They were sisters or something. And one of them died. And when the other one was interviewed, they asked her what she ate. And she said: "An apple and a carrot".

"With every meal?"

"No, every day".

"Every meal every day?"

No. That was ALL she ate, all day, every day. One apple. One carrot. And nothing else. She was literally starving herself to look 'beautiful'.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I'll bite on a couple of these...

Need? No, but given a car with an eager engine, a capable suspension and the right mood, it can be euphoric. Try it sometime. ;).

Unfortunately while this may be fun, it bespeaks blatant contempt for other users of the road, but then that is just one part of the fun, isn't it?

The last few decades' female ideal is even more ridiculous - she's a bone skinny stick insect, with a big bust, swollen lips and bleached, streaked, unkempt hair. Gag.

Oh YES!

The ideal silouette of the early part of the last century may not have been entirely realistic, but it certainly was lovely, wasn't it?

Foxer55

A-List Customer
Lizzie,

People who think there is ever, under any circumstances, a legitimate need to drive 65mph on a twisty, two-lane country road.]

I drive 165mph on some twisty roads. Yeah, they're out in the country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner