Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

What I'd like to see obsolete is the idea that having a tattoo makes you a bold, unconventional rebel...
"The only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is, tattooed people don't care if you're not tattooed."

In my experience the people who have the mindset that their tattoos make them "bold, unconventional rebels" would think that way even if they didn't have tattoos; they'd simply express it in some other way.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The word "passion."

People who say "pant" when they mean "pants."

Chandelier earrings.

Texas Hold 'Em.

Simulated "village" malls.

People who think all women before the 1960s were oppressed little creampuffs.

"Top Ten" lists.

Lawrence Summers.

Bleached teeth.

The phrase "it's all good."

People who pronounce "forte" as "for-tay" -- unless they're musicians.

Lens flare.

The phrase "I'm all about (fill in annoying trend supported by the speaker.)"

People who think they can actually get away with smuggling a take-out Chinese meal into a movie theatre.

The word "barista."

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
People who pronounce "forte" as "for-tay" -- unless they're musicians.

I'm a pianist by hobby. Is there some other way to pronounce this of which I'm not aware?

People who think all women before the 1960s were oppressed little creampuffs.

They ain't met granny. She might've looked like a cream-puff (I've never seen any other lady use a powder-compact more intensively - you'd think she was dusting a crime-scene for prints), but oppressed she wasn't. A free-speaker was granny.

Stuff I won't miss when it's obsolete...

- Products which are "Made in China".

Some are good. Most are god-awful.

- Anything that is far more expensive than it should be for no good reason.

- Selling gold-plate like it's the latest, biggest, bestest thing ever to happen in the history of absolutely ANYTHING. And pretending that $60 is a bargain for it. Gold-plate rubs off in two weeks if you're lucky.

- Rap music.

- Modern pop music.

- Teen/tween/twink music.

- Pretending that EPNS is just as amazing as gold-plate.

BigFitz

Practically Family
Rear automobile window stickers of a stylized Calvin from the Calvin and Hobbes comic strip urinating on whatever bugs the owner. And can we make the owners of these vehicles obsolete while we're at it? I suppose we'll never run short of people with bad taste.

People who say "pant" when they mean "pants."

My Mom had a rather funny habit of pluralizing words that were already plural. For example, instead of "junk" she would say "junks" or when referring to a broken window she would say that broken "glasses" was strewn all over the place instead of broken "glass."

Last edited:

BladeOfAnduril

One of the Regulars
Rear automobile window stickers of a stylized Calvin from the Calvin and Hobbes comic strip urinating on whatever bugs the owner. And can we make the owners of these vehicles obsolete while we're at it? I suppose we'll never run short of people with bad taste.

Absolutely. In this same category: pick up trucks with genitals hanging from the trailer hitch.

Feraud

Bartender

Absolutely. In this same category: pick up trucks with genitals hanging from the trailer hitch.

I don't know what possesses people to put this tacky crap on public display..

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Rachel Ray

Minivans

The phrases tween and pre-tween

Big Box Stores

for-profit health insurance companies

for-profit hospitals

for-profit universities

jazzed up cars where the subwoofers or rims are worth more than the car itself

the term "pimped out" to describe the state of objects (other than pimps, of course)

Edward

Bartender
People who think they can actually get away with smuggling a take-out Chinese meal into a movie theatre.

Ha... I used to do Rocky Horror at a local cinema, and for three weeks before every show I'd be there, three nights a week, flyering. THe things I'd see people try to pull... My favourite was the woman who tried to bring in her own ice-cream, argunig that it wasn't against the cinema's rules because she hadn't bought it elsewhere, she'd made it. lol

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ha... I used to do Rocky Horror at a local cinema, and for three weeks before every show I'd be there, three nights a week, flyering. THe things I'd see people try to pull... My favourite was the woman who tried to bring in her own ice-cream, argunig that it wasn't against the cinema's rules because she hadn't bought it elsewhere, she'd made it. lol

I suppose she also owned the cow and the sugar cane? ;)

Never wear cargo shorts to the cinema because everybody wants you to smuggle in their candy and sodas for them when they see that you're wearing cargo shorts. :(

I know most of you probably don't wear such attire but unfortunately the logistics of my daily life makes better attire a bit impractical at the present time. And on the subject of shorts I absolutely despise the shorts that can't decide whether it wants to be short trousers or long shorts but unfortunately that's all there is out there. :mad:

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Never wear cargo shorts to the cinema because everybody wants you to smuggle in their candy and sodas for them when they see that you're wearing cargo shorts. :(

I always give people with cargo shorts the once-over, and if I see anything that looks foody in their pockets I tell them we'll be glad to check their stuff for them at the concession stand. Bulging overcoats also get examined, unless there are obvious double chins to go with the bulge.

I've got zero tolerance for snack smugglers. "Sure, bring that stuff right in. Steal the food off my table while you're at it."

3fingers

One Too Many
I come from a long line of rednecks, but I despise this, the Calvin stickers and all of the other trash people feel the need to display in public on their vehicles. I see the testicles in every color imaginable, including chrome. One of my co-workers has a set he is especially proud of. They are camouflage.:eusa_doh: My forebearers would have laid a 2X4 alongside my head if I had ever considered such a thing.

In the interest of full disclosure though, I am also not a fan of sticker families and I don't give a hoot what you heart.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I come from a long line of rednecks, but I despise this, the Calvin stickers and all of the other trash people feel the need to display in public on their vehicles. I see the testicles in every color imaginable, including chrome. One of my co-workers has a set he is especially proud of. They are camouflage.:eusa_doh: My forebearers would have laid a 2X4 alongside my head if I had ever considered such a thing.

In the interest of full disclosure though, I am also not a fan of sticker families and I don't give a hoot what you heart.

I hate sticker families much more than I hate Peeing Calvin -- because the sort of people who put sticker families on their cars are exactly the kind of people who think they're "better" than the Peeing Calvin habitues.

I know a girl who had her boyfriend's name in a Chevrolet logo tattooed on a sensitive part of her anatomy. When they broke up, she simply added a Peeing Calvin beside the original tattoo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner