Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
I wore thrift store clothes. Which would have been fine but my step-monster bought clothes from the 70's.

I wear mostly thrift store clothes today. Call me cheap, but I can't see paying $30-$40 or more retail for new jeans, when I can get the same exact brand for $5 used at Goodwill. Same goes for dress shirts, jackets, suits, and coats. I have purchased Brooks Brothers tailored dress shirts that fit me perfectly for $3 each. Not to mention fine vintage suits for $20 or less. Yep, I see nothing at all wrong with dressing from thrift stores if you choose carefully.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
"Dark blue khaki?" Is that like "government efficiency"?

I'd take offense at your statement, but this isn't my shift. :D
I wear the khaki khaki, since we are being color specific.

Is this like offering someone a coke (in the South) and asking them what flavor (sprite, 7 up, orange, coke, diet coke, dr pepper, etc)?
Every soft drink down here is called a coke.

rue

Reminds me of a joke someone emailed me last night:
A biker roaring down a highway one evening came to bridge. As he slowed to cross, he noticed a girl on the parapet about to jump off. He ground to a halt, jumped off the bike and grabbed her. "Hey, kid," he yelled, "What the hell are you doing?"

"I'm trying to kill myself!" the girl cried.

The biker held her at arms' length. Even in the dim bridge lights she was quite pretty. "Hey," he said, not wanting to miss an opportunity. "Before you jump, how 'bout a little kiss?"

"Why not," she sighed, then moved in and kissed him. It was a long, passionate, deep-tongued, lingering and thrilling kiss.

The biker finally pushed her away. Awed, he said, "Honey, that there was one fine kiss! You're one hot young thang! Why th' heck do you wanna kill yourself?

"'Cause my parents don't like me dressing up like a girl!"

:rofl:

Virginia Creeper

One of the Regulars
I wear mostly thrift store clothes today. Call me cheap, but I can't see paying $30-$40 or more retail for new jeans, when I can get the same exact brand for $5 used at Goodwill. Same goes for dress shirts, jackets, suits, and coats. I have purchased Brooks Brothers tailored dress shirts that fit me perfectly for $3 each. Not to mention fine vintage suits for $20 or less. Yep, I see nothing at all wrong with dressing from thrift stores if you choose carefully.

Or the $12 Hugo Boss flannel suit that fits my husband like it was bespoke tailoring.

rue

I haven't bought "new" clothes in over 4 years. Ebay is my friend :)

earl

A-List Customer
When 4 years ago I had to drastically change my diet due to health reasons and fortuitously dropped 50 pounds in the process, could not afford to replace my wardrobe with all new clothes. Could never afford to replace it with new. Since then, I've been on a thrift store binge, including my first eBay purchase recently of a Harris Tweed. Have picked up many clothing lines I never could have bought new. Bought casual and dress. Of my 10 dress jackets for instance, 7 are used, with makers including Brooks Brothers suit, Hart Schaffner & Marx, Dior, cashmere blend topcoats, etc. Other than the $40 I spent on the Bay for the Harris Tweed, most I spent was $10. Even bought a lovely pair of navy Zanella dress trousers for $6, when they retail for almost $300. Am definitely a fan of "used." Earl

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Hand-me-downs were all we ever wore. I was the oldest, and most of my stuff was handed down from my cousin, but sometimes I wore things that had belonged to my mother when she was a kid. My sister got what was left over after I grew out of them. As for my brother -- well, he was picked on a lot by the other neighborhood kids.

Man, am I glad I didn't have to wear hand me downs! I got in enough fights at school, think what it would have been like if I was wearing my big sisters hand me down dress?

Riiiiggghhhtttt.

You may have heard of this social scientist who created a dialect map of the US. He mapped a whole list of phrases and words, right down to the city. You could take a quiz, and it would tell you the city "most similar" to your dialect as well as the city "least similar". Many folks say it is astonishingly accurate. Needless to say, what you call a carbonated soft drink...coke, soda, pop etc...was one of the questions.

And for the record, my most similar city was Jackson, MS and my least similar was Manchester, NH.

You may have heard of this social scientist who created a dialect map of the US. He mapped a whole list of phrases and words, right down to the city. You could take a quiz, and it would tell you the city "most similar" to your dialect as well as the city "least similar". Many folks say it is astonishingly accurate. Needless to say, what you call a carbonated soft drink...coke, soda, pop etc...was one of the questions.

And for the record, my most similar city was Jackson, MS and my least similar was Manchester, NH.
Figures. lol lol

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
. . . I've been on a thrift store binge, including my first eBay purchase recently of a Harris Tweed. Have picked up many clothing lines I never could have bought new. Bought casual and dress. Of my 10 dress jackets for instance, 7 are used, with makers including Brooks Brothers suit, Hart Schaffner & Marx, Dior, cashmere blend topcoats, etc. Other than the $40 I spent on the Bay for the Harris Tweed, most I spent was $10. Even bought a lovely pair of navy Zanella dress trousers for $6, when they retail for almost $300. Am definitely a fan of "used." Earl

Yeah, if someone looked through my closet at the name brands without knowing where the stuff came from, they'd think my income bracket was several times higher than it really is. With all the cash I save by buying at thrift stores, I turn around and buy select vintage goods on eBay. I also like unclaimed baggage stores alot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL