Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Barring underwear and shoes, I can't remember the last time I bought clothes, new or used. I make one or two new dresses a year, to replace ones that have worn out too much to repair, and that's about it. After all, I can only wear one at a time. As far as sweaters and coats and hats and such go, I'm still wearing ones I bought in the '80s, when they were "cheap second hand clothes" and not "collectibles."

Carbonated beverages are "soda" (or "tonic" if you live in Southern New Hampshire/Northern Massachusetts), but they come in "pop bottles."

Last edited:
Rarely buy clothes for myself anymore, but except for underwear and shoes, as Lizzie said, just about everything is second hand. The one exception to this is jeans. I like them dark and stiff, and like to break 'em in myself. Buying pre-faded bluejeans is about as lazy as watching fishing on television, I mean how hard is it to wear a pair of pants. Or are folks just in that big of a hurry that they don't have the time to break them in themselves? (rhetorical question, I know the answer already) btw - I am not one of those high-end denim consumers, not gonna spend $200+ on work pants.

We call 'em all cokes down here, too.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

HeyMoe

Practically Family
My wife and I went to a foster parent training class last night and I discovered two terms that I can not stand: issues (as in the child had major issues) and transparency.

I must have heard both a 100 times each over a 3 hour period and wanted to punch the speaker in the face each time.

Hey Moe
My hat's off to you man for what you're doing.
Unfortunately, as an adoptive parent I can tell you that "issues" are something you will become all too familiar with, but the right thing to do isn't always the easiest thing to do.
Best of luck!

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

LizzieMaine

Bartender
*The phrase "reach out to..."

*People who smile condescendingly when something happens to inconvenience them.

*"Man buns"

*Kate Middleton.

*Nail art.

*"Artisans" who carve hobo nickels using dremel tools.

*People with capped teeth who allow green deposits to accumulate between the edge of the caps and their gums.

*Romantic comedies featuring a spunky but confused middle-class white girl in the big city, and her sassy black friend.

*Motivational speakers.

*People who take pictures of their restaurant meals.

*The word "indie."

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I have learned to just say soda, or call it by it's name: Dr Pepper, Pepsi, Sprite, etc.
At the risk of sounding like a dinosaur, I have never been into a fast food joint ever. Not in the UK, mainland Europe, North America, anywhere.
Correction, the tense should have been, had, not have.

My first ever experience, and it was only to say that I have done it, was in Savannah, Georgia, USA, on my first ever trip to the States, probably back in the Jurassic period. My wife and I went into this place called: "Wendy's." Fortunately, it was a quiet time of day. Being my first experience, I didn't know that you had to look at the pictures of the ready meals behind the counter, choose whichever takes your fancy and order. But as I said, it was a quiet time, we were the only customers. I wanted something that couldn't be hammered into a small patty of something indistuingishable from everything else. My wife, knowing how pedantic I can be, had forwarned me that chips in America are those crisp little slivers of potato, whilst Brit Speak chips, are called fries. "Don't worry dear, I won't show you up." I smiled at the lady: "Chicken and fries please." "Sure honey," she cooed, "Soda?" Now you have to understand, where I come from, soda is in a tall syphon, usually stands on the bar, and you help yourself if you want to pour it over your scotch. So she couldn't possibly mean that. "Sorry," I said. "Soda," she replied. I looked helplessly at my wife.

By now the lady, who confessed to me that my wife and I were the first ever English accents that she had ever heard, apart from the television. It turned out that she was an addict to: "Inspector Morse." So our presence was something of a novelty for her. Seeing me perplexed, or just enjoying my discomfort, and also being at a loose end, she explained: "Something to drink?" "Oh right, soda, as in soda-pop!" The eye roll said it all. I ordered coke, just for a quiet life.

Neither of us ate our meal, the fries were disgusting, the coke was flat and the chicken, I swear, resembled a carpet burger. We just pushed it around on the plate, spent about ten minutes answering their questions: Yes the Queen's portrait is on all of our currency. Yes Oxford is does have a famous university,and other banal things like William Shakespeare, Stratford-upon-Avon and all that. My wife had discretely produced one of their take-away boxes, we scooped the bulk of the so called food into the box, shoved it into her bag and left with a cheery wave. "Be sure to come back y'all." Our new found Anglophile said, as a parting farewell. We just smiled and waved, tossing the box into the trash collector outside.

Last edited:

newsman

One of the Regulars
The use of the world tactical.

Not everything needs to be made of tactical black nylon....and more importantly...not everyone has to have it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL