Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

I wear sunglasses inside at work, if I can't find my regular ones.
Nothing wrong with it gear-guy.
Just to make sure, on occasion (when I have them on inside) I go ahead and say "no autographs at this time." :D
I do get funny looks when wearing them in the rain, until I tell people they cut the glare (polarized), and I can see better.
Once they try it, they realize sunglasses in the rain isn't such a bad idea.

I see.
[video=youtube_share;X2LTL8KgKv8]http://youtu.be/X2LTL8KgKv8[/video]

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
As per some training I received from work yesterday, the average child's birthday party includes 15 or more guests (plus parents), the average gift received is worth $20-$25, and the average loot bag costs $8-$15.

No wonder my kids feel ripped off when their party is some snacks and cake at the park with a handful of friends.

S***. Well, my kid's gonna be screwed because there is no way in hell I'm gonna spend $8 on a goodie bag full of ****.

The best birthday party I've ever heard of the mom went and got some cheap ayricilic paints from an arts and craft store, some paint brushes, and those $2 little wooden bird houses and let the kids paint them. I think that's a fantastic idea for a kids party: favor, activity, and cheap. :)

I don't mind feeding kids meals (and our table will always always have a place/ places for my child's friends) knowing how many kids go without good meals. But I'm not wasting money on crud from china for a goodie bag that is just going to get tossed.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I never heard of "goodie bags" at kids' parties -- granted, I haven't had or been to a kids'-type birthday party since 1973, but we never had any such thing when I was growing up. The fanciest birthday party I ever had was a trip to a bowling alley, and the fanciest one I was ever invited to involved a hike thru the woods.

The idea that you have to hand out junk to kids attending your kid's party is a real nice lesson to teach them: they'll be your friends, but you got to pay them to do it. Yes sir, I'd want my kid growing up with those values, I don't think.

Virginia Creeper

One of the Regulars
You ever been to one of those parties? You need to with that many screaming children. :p

I believe I officially declared the last party I threw to be the last dry party I intended to host (and that was 5 kids and a picnic table in the park). My own kids provide me with enough stress, not to mention the other kids and worse, the parents who insist on moping around, unable and unwilling to let their precious lambs experience anything on their own.

Best poor people party idea I ever took the kids to: host mom bought some different color pool noodles at the dollar store, cut them in about 2 foot lengths and wrapped duct tape around one end for the handle: instant poor kid light sabers. Had about 15 kids at the park, pumped 'em full of cake, then let them knock each other silly with the lightsabers for the next two hours on the playground. The mom said she spent less than $10 to make them all.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I can't stand tourists who tell me they jes' luuuuuhv mah ayuc-cent. "I ain't got an accent, lady -- you do!"

Send them down South, we come with subtitles. ;)
At least on many of the programs I see featuring Southerners, they use subtitles.
Funny, I understand everything they say.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Best poor people party idea I ever took the kids to: host mom bought some different color pool noodles at the dollar store, cut them in about 2 foot lengths and wrapped duct tape around one end for the handle: instant poor kid light sabers. Had about 15 kids at the park, pumped 'em full of cake, then let them knock each other silly with the lightsabers for the next two hours on the playground. The mom said she spent less than $10 to make them all.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

And the kids that filled theirs with rocks, get put in the corner. :D

I believe I officially declared the last party I threw to be the last dry party I intended to host (and that was 5 kids and a picnic table in the park). My own kids provide me with enough stress, not to mention the other kids and worse, the parents who insist on moping around, unable and unwilling to let their precious lambs experience anything on their own.
The parents are some times worse than the children. I know what you mean. The helicopter parents of today drive me nuts. I mean you can tell them to stop hitting each other but running around free outdoors kind of goes with the territory. :p

EliasRDA

One of the Regulars
The poor kid lightsabers also make great boffer weapons if your kid is into renaissance period instead of future ;) LARP's are fun, I think more fun than SCA where you need much more money.

Hmm, what do I want to become obsolete? Well, I sure others have covered it already.. but the 15 mins of fame mindset way too many people have nowadays & the flipping socalled reality shows that gives people that mindset.

rjb1

Practically Family
"I speak Southern, although past mid Georgia and I get "iffy" on my interpretation."
Me, too... and if you go far enough South you arrive in Southeast Florida, where it reverses and they speak pseudo-Yankee. (Or as some of my Central-Florida friends call it: lower New Jersey.)

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
"I speak Southern, although past mid Georgia and I get "iffy" on my interpretation."
Me, too... and if you go far enough South you arrive in Southeast Florida, where it reverses and they speak pseudo-Yankee. (Or as some of my Central-Florida friends call it: lower New Jersey.)

Ah, snowbirds.
I have a relative from Panama City Fla, and they said many store owners have a Canadian accent.
Apparently 20yrs ago there was an influx of them in the area, investing in all sorts of businesses.
Do you blame them? Sweep sand or shovel snow? Not really a hard decision.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I could do without all these Southern retirees who move up here and act like they're trapped in a polar wasteland when the temperature goes below 50 degrees. Quit yer whining and buy a damn coat. And no, you can't come inside to buy your ticket, you stand out there on the sidewalk like real Mainers do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy