Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

Horace Debussy Jones

A-List Customer
Was just browsing some books in Amazon when I saw this. You mean the jackets that look like orphaned suit coats that were run through the laundry? They are quite awful.
I for one won't miss this idiotic trend of designers all trying to be "cutting edge", or "radical", or (insert any trendy catch phrase here). All they are doing is laughing all the way to the bank at the expense of the tragically hip.
Timeless designs and proper proportions which are aesthetically pleasing I think are always going to be around though, thank goodness.

There is one thing equally horrid with the skinny pants. Skinny Sport Coats. They are hideous. I refuse to even put a link to the hideous coats, but if you want to see them, just pay a little visit to the Amazon mens' sport coat section.

Definitely! The Pee Wee Herman look has become mainstream?!
Peewee3.jpg

Tuna spaghetti sound fairly horrific.
Crab shala sounds a bit like a good creole dish, like it might be good over rice with garlic bread and cold beer. I love shrimp creole, catfish creole, snapper creole, grouper creole,crawfish creole....you get the picture.

As far as skinny pants and peewee jackets, I fortunately (????) don't see as much of that around where I live as I do big and baggy sagging down with all or most of their @$$ hangin out. Down here the newest trends are kinda slow to catch on.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'll knock Mac & Cheese. The junk you get in boxes just sucks and the home made stuff isn't much better. I think I outgrew it when I becamae a teenager. From then on it was lousy to me. Now Beef Wellington is something else. :p

"Kraft Dinner" is the national dish of Canada, beloved by millions from coast to coast. I was astonished to discover this, because even as a kid I found it insipid. My great-grandparents evidently left Canada for good reason.

Home made macaroni and cheese, made with butter, flour, sharp cheddar, Prince's Large Elbows, and half a teaspoon of Colman's dry mustard, on the other hand, is a thing of beauty. Throw in a pinch of red pepper if you like it zesty.

The best store-bought macaroni and cheese, by far, was the old Howard Johnson's frozen brand, in an aluminum tray. It was the same stuff served in the Howard Johnson's restaurants, and was the only stuff I'd eat if I couldn't make my own.

"Kraft Dinner" is the national dish of Canada, beloved by millions from coast to coast. I was astonished to discover this, because even as a kid I found it insipid. My great-grandparents evidently left Canada for good reason.

Home made macaroni and cheese, made with butter, flour, sharp cheddar, Prince's Large Elbows, and half a teaspoon of Colman's dry mustard, on the other hand, is a thing of beauty. Throw in a pinch of red pepper if you like it zesty.

The best store-bought macaroni and cheese, by far, was the old Howard Johnson's frozen brand, in an aluminum tray. It was the same stuff served in the Howard Johnson's restaurants, and was the only stuff I'd eat if I couldn't make my own.

See, I don't understand why anyone would ruin all that other stuff by adding Macaroni--especially the sharp cheddar . :p

3fingers

One Too Many
We eat mac&cheese here sometimes. I make it myself. Occasionally with ham cubed in it too. It must be OK because everybody in the family will eat it and if I take a big pot of it to a potluck, I never bring any home. It isn't particularly hard to make, but it sure isn't anything like Kraft in a box and there's a bit more to it than melting some Velveeta over the elbows and calling it done.

Edward

Bartender
There is one thing equally horrid with the skinny pants. Skinny Sport Coats. They are hideous. I refuse to even put a link to the hideous coats, but if you want to see them, just pay a little visit to the Amazon mens' sport coat section.

It depends what you mean by skinny, I suppose, given that much of men's tailoring from the thirties makes many high street suits today look like something David Byrne used to wear, but certainly the last few years have seen a big ongonig mod influence, at least here in the UK, which takes thed skinny Italian look to extremes. Same with shirts (many place only do anything other than a standard semi-spread collar on a shirt cut so slim that you'd have to be eighteen and suffering from an eating disorder to wear them). Normally I wouldn't care about mere fashion, but this has had such a far reaching effect for so long...

...certainly the last few years have seen a big ongoing mod influence...
That's why the whole "skinny jeans" trend looked so familiar--I knew I'd seen it before, but couldn't quite place it. Thank you!

If we're lucky, when the trend dies off this time it won't be followed by "bell bottom" trousers with leg openings large enough to smuggle a family of six into the country. shakeshead

Edward

Bartender
That's why the whole "skinny jeans" trend looked so familiar--I knew I'd seen it before, but couldn't quite place it. Thank you!

If we're lucky, when the trend dies off this time it won't be followed by "bell bottom" trousers with leg openings large enough to smuggle a family of six into the country. shakeshead

Flares are Satan's own pantaloons. The only thing worse is short trousers.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I'll knock Mac & Cheese. The junk you get in boxes just sucks and the home made stuff isn't much better. I think I outgrew it when I becamae a teenager. From then on it was lousy to me. Now Beef Wellington is something else. :p

I have to admit, I don't care for Mac&Cheese unless I can throw in a can of chili!

Minivans. What is it about them that makes the person who sits in the driver's seat forget whatever they might once have known about piloting a motor vehicle? In the last 20 years I've seen only one--ONE--person driving one who knew the simple concepts of acceleration, braking, steering, driving laws, courtesy, and common sense (which, I admit, isn't as common as it used to be). The rest were all menaces to society who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a vehicle of any type.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails