Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
The final question on the one I prepared was "Do you think questionnaires like this are stupid? Be Honest."

"I've chosen one or two questions which I've answered 'agree' but not 'strongly agree' to give you the impression that I'm an honest candidate, which I feel I am, despite having exaggerated my enthusiasm for select questions. Of course you want me to check 'strongly agree' for everything but I'm not that kind of person. The people who select those answers are liars. I might not be that exemplary individual you're hoping for, but I'm about 85% there right? Besides, with my honesty you know I'll never steal from you. I believe I'm better than the 'strongly agree' crowd".

"I've chosen one or two questions which I've answered 'agree' but not 'strongly agree' to give you the impression that I'm an honest candidate, which I feel I am, despite having exaggerated my enthusiasm for select questions. Of course you want me to check 'strongly agree' for everything but I'm not that kind of person. The people who select those answers are liars. I might not be that exemplary individual you're hoping for, but I'm about 85% there right? Besides, with my honesty you know I'll never steal from you. I believe I'm better than the 'strongly agree' crowd".

Nice Jon Lovitz impersonation. :p

rjb1

Practically Family
In a previous job, the HR people would send out annoying Surveys/Questionnaires every few months. I never saw that anything good ever came from them.
After the nth one, I filled out the first page "properly" and then wrote in big letters on the second page: IF ANYONE EVER READS THIS I WILL GIVE YOU $20 CASH - I AM NOT KIDDING, and then added my office phone number. I never heard any complaints and no one ever called to get the money. That was the last of those forms I ever filled out. No negative consequences about that, either.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
It's so much easier to look the applicant dead in the eye. If I see myself looking back, I hire them.

self-portrait_zpscfb3ef50.jpg

Bugguy

Practically Family
CNN... I'm tired of being fed what some editor thinks I want/need to know. Sound bites.

Break for another commercial from a former IRS attorney.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
CNN... I'm tired of being fed what some editor thinks I want/need to know. Sound bites.

Break for another commercial from a former IRS attorney.

I think that goes for all cable, dare I say News. Should be called The Opinion Channels!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
ROBO calls. For all of you that complain that no body has ever polled you, count your blessings! I had to disconnect my answering machine, they were calling me so much! If I did not recognize your phone number, I was not calling back.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think that goes for all cable, dare I say News. Should be called The Opinion Channels!

It has ever been thus. H. V. Kaltenborn, Fulton Lews Jr., Walter Winchell, and, yes, E. R. Murrow, all had one thing in common -- they never left any doubt about where they stood.

The newspapers were even more committed to partisanship in the Era. In 1936, the overwhelming majority of the press was committed to a Landon presidency. Oops.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
ROBO calls. For all of you that complain that no body has ever polled you, count your blessings! I had to disconnect my answering machine, they were calling me so much! If I did not recognize your phone number, I was not calling back.

I have an unlisted number, which I'm very stingy about giving out. But the funny thing is, I got robo-calls this past election season only from candidates and causes I already support -- even though none of those campaign organizations have my number. Sure they could have been using automated consecutive-number dialers -- but I never got a single robo-call from any candidate or position that I opposed. I'm still trying to figure out how they worked that.

It has ever been thus. H. V. Kaltenborn, Fulton Lews Jr., Walter Winchell, and, yes, E. R. Murrow, all had one thing in common -- they never left any doubt about where they stood.

The newspapers were even more committed to partisanship in the Era. In 1936, the overwhelming majority of the press was committed to a Landon presidency. Oops.

And they never lied about it like they do now. :doh:

I have an unlisted number, which I'm very stingy about giving out. But the funny thing is, I got robo-calls this past election season only from candidates and causes I already support -- even though none of those campaign organizations have my number. Sure they could have been using automated consecutive-number dialers -- but I never got a single robo-call from any candidate or position that I opposed. I'm still trying to figure out how they worked that.

Voter rolls and party registration. The records are there for all to see.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Fewer professional reporters = more crappy pseudo-news "curated" by "aggregators." Welcome to Dystopia.

Along those same lines, I'm really tired of controversial issues being "reported" solely thru canned quotes from professional lobbyists, published without question -- and I'm even more tired of the idea that publishing two opposing canned quotes from professional lobbyists is somehow "fair and balanced" journalism. I'm tired, in fact, of professional lobbyists being given any public attention or notice by anyone at all, no matter what point of view they promote. They're simply The Boys From Marketing in more expensive suits. And the same goes for anyone affiliated in any way with any kind of a "think tank."

When I'm dictator all the lobbyists and think-tankers will be rounded up and put to work on farms, where they can shovel the real stuff for a change.

Last edited:

Deusis

Vendor
I know it won't become obsolete but I've had an internal "struggle" lately about cell phones. I realize that they are a great tool, but I often find myself just looking at it if I'm not doing anything. I have been debating switching back from a smart phone to a basic flip phone.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I know it won't become obsolete but I've had an internal "struggle" lately about cell phones. I realize that they are a great tool, but I often find myself just looking at it if I'm not doing anything. I have been debating switching back from a smart phone to a basic flip phone.

Me too. I'm sure the initial withdrawals would be strong but I'd be better off back with a flipper!

And you rack up all of this data usage without even realizing it. I discovered (iphone) in the settings there's a "turn off cellular data" feature which I use from time to time. Meaning you can only access the internet or apps that require data usage when you're connected to a wifi spot.
I remember reading somewhere that having an app still running in the background will use the same amount of data as when using it. I now be sure to turn always turn off my running apps when I leave the house.

They try to find ways to get you to use data. It's a lot of work fighting and resisting it!

Me too. I'm sure the initial withdrawals would be strong but I'd be better off back with a flipper!

And you rack up all of this data usage without even realizing it. I discovered (iphone) in the settings there's a "turn off cellular data" feature which I use from time to time. Meaning you can only access the internet or apps that require data usage when you're connected to a wifi spot.
I remember reading somewhere that having an app still running in the background will use the same amount of data as when using it. I now be sure to turn always turn off my running apps when I leave the house.

They try to find ways to get you to use data. It's a lot of work fighting and resisting it!

That's why you spring for unlimited data.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I have finally started to use my smart phone with the new house. I often need to find were to get something and with no land line hooked up, it saves me a lot of gas. You must really use it a lot, I have still never approached 1GB, I have 3 allowed. I will not down load any apps, and don't use any except for the search engine. I don't text even though I have unlimited! And, I would boar any teenager to death, since most of my calls consist of, hello, yes, no, and goodby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy