Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whats the deal with tie length these days?

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
skyvue said:
Sounds as though you need to some vintage trousers to wear with those vintage ties -- the high waist would solve the problem.

Well, how high a waist can highwaisted pants be: my highest waisted pant has approx. a 14" rise, pretty high... I try to let the tip of the front blade touch the waist.

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
This thread sums up the problems we have making ties:

I first started replicating vintage styled ties, but have customers in all shapes and sizes, so I opted for a length that wasn't as long as most modern ties, but not so stubby as some vintage samples I've seen. Most of our vintage styles (Casablanca, Maltese Falcon, the Fedora Lounge ties, etc) measure about 58" in length.

Then we started producing more modern styles (especially for the James Bond collectors). Not only did these need to be longer (usually around 60") but the fans kept requesting thicker and thicker linings... try tying a non-gargantuan windsor knot with our Goldeneye Tie!

It's a challenge to keep both camps (and those in between) happy, but we do what we can. Though our ties are made in lots and cannot be customized, we do offer a custom tie service with limited colors/patterns/fabrics that allow you to have a tie made in any size, shape or weight.

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Edward

Bartender
Schofields said:
theres a knot called a double simple. its a four in hand with an extra loop around the back blade. shortens the tie about 3 inches.

A lot of my modern ties I need to wrap it four times around to get a length that doesn't hang four inches below my beltline!

Tomasso said:
AKA the Prince Albert.

I refer the gentleman to post #10, above. ;)

NDW76

New in Town
I wear a tie every day to work. I do find them to be a bit short. I usually end up with a stubby little bit that has to be tucked into the shirt. This problem was partially solved by getting rid of my gut. I now have a flat stomach and my ties are long enough without having a stubby little bit.

However, I have read that the proper way to wear a tie is with both ends the same length. To achieve that all my ties will have to be another six to eight inches longer.

And one more thing. I know this is a bit off topic, but when people wear ties too short makes them look like they have a huge gut hanging out over the belt.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
djgo-cat-go said:
Well, how high a waist can highwaisted pants be

bracetrousersax6.jpg

Mario

I'll Lock Up
djgo-cat-go said:
Well, how high a waist can highwaisted pants be

Well, if you're suffering from sore armpits from rubbing them against the waistband of your pants then you should seriously start considering a slightly lower rise... :D

Here's how it all comes together:

theteapotmangg8.jpg

cptjeff

Practically Family
resortes805 said:
When were ties that much longer....the 1970s? (this is a genuine question, not a slight)
They never were. The standard length for ties now is the longest it's ever been, and as a fit short man who wears moderately high rise pants, let me tell you that they're a pain in the ass. I have very literally taken scissors to the narrow ends of ties and lopped off a few inches. Nice construction and finish be damned, the thing looks moronic as long as it is.

As for all the people whining about too short- having the narrow end be the same length as the wide one is in no way a requirement. The ties today are made for obese 6'9" men- longer is not necessary.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
I side with the group which says that ties are too darn short. Ties are almost always too short for me. I am nearly always left with the stubby little end if the tie comes down to my belt. Probably most guys don't even consider the length when buying a tie. One size fits all ?

NDW76

New in Town
If you think ties are too long you are either tying it like a school boy and not a full Windsor, like a man, or you are only four feet tall.

Edit: I don't think too well first thing in the morning.

cptjeff

Practically Family
NDW76 said:
If you think ties are too long you are either tying it like a school boy and not a full Windsor, like a man, or you are only four feet tall.
I think that's what you meant. Windsors eat up length to a ridiculous extent. And if that is what you meant, you're wrong.

Windsors are way too fat for smaller guys. Anybody really, especially with today's fat ties, but especially for smaller guys.

Men don't wear windsors. Teenage boys who wish to look like men do. Besides, there was somebody who had a remark about the type of person who wore a windsor knot. Some literary character.

If you did mean short, then your post made no sense.

W4ASZ

Practically Family
It strikes me as odd that insults are being swapped over this matter.

Clearly we need for ties to be available in differing lengths to accommodate.

It does seem that King Edward VII, who popularized the Homburg and famously directed his valet to "bring me my Burberry," while Duke of Windsor, employed the dreaded Windsor knot.

And current members of the royal family, all sui juris, can be found wearing Windsor-knotted ties. As Yogi Berra said, "You could look it up !"

NDW76

New in Town
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound insulting. Being a taller man I prefer a full Windsor knot because it is big and matches my size. I have always prefered larger knots. I understand that the larger Windsor knot doesn't look as good on shorter stature men.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Can we please stop with the personal attacks and odd judgments! You can neither derive character or maturity or quotient of masculinity by the length of one's tie or the knot with which they use to tie it.

Of course, you're free to speculate on all of these matters as long as it remains impersonal.

Thanks!

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Despite being rather having a rather short torso for my height, I still find most ties to be a bit short. Then again, being right around six and a half feet does effect things.

I have a couple extra long ties that I love, although I do prefer the Windsor knot. I don't really know why. I picked up the habit in school, and it just looks better on me. Anything that gives a little bulk to my appearance is good.

However, I almost never wear a four-in-hand tie. Because I am in university right now, my life is regrettably casual. I do regularly wear a bow-tie however. When I do wear a four-in-hand, I invariably wear a vest/waistcoat. Otherwise it just gets in the way.

All that said, I have no experience whatsoever with vintage ties.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
W4ASZ said:
It does seem that King Edward VII, who popularized the Homburg and famously directed his valet to "bring me my Burberry," while Duke of Windsor, employed the dreaded Windsor knot.
It was Edward VIII who was Duke of Windsor.It was a special peerage created for him upon his abdication. Upon his death the title became extinct.

W4ASZ said:
And current members of the royal family, all sui juris, can be found wearing Windsor-knotted ties. As Yogi Berra said, "You could look it up !"
I see Prince Philip wearing one these days though he wore a FIH as a young man. Who else? Prince Charles, both his brothers and both his sons use a FIH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925