Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's with the Kadoya all of the sudden?

Did you notice how suddenly Kadoya became all the rage on Instagram or TikTok? Not to mention that the prices have surged up to insane heights, compared to just a year ago.

I had two Kadoya classic biker jackets long ago - Pretty good jackets at $200 range but nothing truly special. Regular higher-end 90's quality with some questionable design features but honestly, not even close to a good Hein Gericke. To make it worse, they aren't even made in Japan.

What's up with that?

cbez

One Too Many
Haven't seen them on social myself.

They have a japan line and a cheaper Korean line.

They've been popping up like crazy on my feed, except mostly within fringe fashion circles. . .

You could buy them very cheap up until recently but now they're $700 and above, with people making claims they produce the best leather gear in the world which is utter nonsense.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Must have been astroturfed by some influencer.

Mind you I never had any negative feelings about Kadoya; I always saw them as a Japanese market equivalent of something like Fox Creek or other more technical motorcyclist market brands.

Must have been astroturfed by some influencer.

Mind you I never had any negative feelings about Kadoya; I always saw them as a Japanese market equivalent of something like Fox Creek or other more technical motorcyclist market brands.

Yeah, exactly that. The jackets were all good and better than Schott of the era. I'd rate them Branded grade and that's at best since Branded made some seriously impressive pieces and they're definitely far below Vanson. Nowhere nearly as good as the Instagram makes them up to be right now, in any case.

The jackets that I had were very standard. I liked them but didn't enjoy wearing them because frankly, they were kind of boring. Selling them too half a year, too.

The most popular model seems to be the so called "Battle suit" which is just their regular cross zip with bits and pieces of hockey-like armor, held in place by a strap. You can literally put that stuff on any other leather jacket and make it look like that.

a45457e51455454bb8bae47419eeac9d

Aloysius

Yeah, exactly that. The jackets were all good and better than Schott of the era. I'd rate them Branded grade and that's at best since Branded made some seriously impressive pieces and they're definitely far below Vanson. Nowhere nearly as good as the Instagram makes them up to be right now, in any case.

The jackets that I had were very standard. I liked them but didn't enjoy wearing them because frankly, they were kind of boring. Selling them too half a year, too.

The most popular model seems to be the so called "Battle suit" which is just their regular cross zip with bits and pieces of hockey-like armor, held in place by a strap. You can literally put that stuff on any other leather jacket and make it look like that.

a45457e51455454bb8bae47419eeac9d

I mean if it's going to look sci fi I'd rather it look space marine than power ranger. I like the leather and the details here that are twists on what we're used to.

I like that it doesn't look like a poor man's Lightning/Perfecto as both expensive (SLP everything, LW Speed Demon, FCL Leon) and cheap (Zara, Pakistan moto brand) black cross zips tend to.

But yeah I agree with you.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Kadoya is not expensive compared to other Japanese makers. Their low end x-zip is still under ¥70,000 (USD 500) and their made in Japan line is still under ¥180,000 (USD 1250).

Image2.jpg

Image13.jpg

Reactions: MTS
I mean if it's going to look sci fi I'd rather it look space marine than power ranger. I like the leather and the details here that are twists on what we're used to.

I like that it doesn't look like a poor man's Lightning/Perfecto as both expensive (SLP everything, LW Speed Demon, FCL Leon) and cheap (Zara, Pakistan moto brand) black cross zips tend to.

But yeah I agree with you.

It looks better on the photos but it's a lot like run-of-the-mill Fox Creek. Not much design or originality went into 'em. But again, not bad. Just that I'd never in a million years spend more than $300 on one, let alone thousands. . .

Kadoya is not expensive compared to other Japanese makers. Their low end x-zip is still under ¥70,000 (USD 500) and their made in Japan line is still under ¥180,000 (USD 1250).

View attachment 592475

View attachment 592476

That can't be the same maker. The jackets on these photos look like they were smuggled out of Khyber Pass.

Aloysius

It looks better on the photos but it's a lot like run-of-the-mill Fox Creek. Not much design or originality went into 'em. But again, not bad. Just that I'd never in a million years spend more than $300 on one, let alone thousands. . .

Sure, but I'd still take it over FCL Leon, SLP moto, or LW Speed Demon. (That last one makes me sad because the quality is obviously there, but the strange position of the ticket pocket makes it look like a Pakistani knockoff.)

Sure, but I'd still take it over FCL Leon, SLP moto, or LW Speed Demon. (That last one makes me sad because the quality is obviously there, but the strange position of the ticket pocket makes it look like a Pakistani knockoff.)

The quality was the best I've ever handled but you're so right about the look of the jacket.

Aloysius

This is a work of art. You'd think it's impossible to completely obliterate all the cool out of the Perfecto but they've done it.

I have to slightly defend Five Star here because the terrible design changes (to the base Perfecto) here were specifically requested by a TFL member, and I remember telling him at the time that it would ruin the balance of the design.

The funny thing is even this Five Star has a better pocket location than the LW, though it's still ruined by the "make it smaller" request.

Nykwil

One of the Regulars
This kinda social media astroturfing and “targeted marketing” is what annoys me about social media.
The question of: “did I actually discover something new or was I just manipulated through targeted advertising” runs through my head daily.

Did I ever really discover something new? Or is it someone trying to force my thoughts and ideas through their influence? Anyway, that’s an existential crisis I have to deal with.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up

That can't be the same maker. The jackets on these photos look like they were smuggled out of Khyber Pass.
Official website is
https://ekadoya.com/en

Their riding gear usually sells through the motorcycle gear dealers like this one
https://www.rakuten.co.jp/hirochishop/

MTS

Familiar Face
@Monitor will take anything over the LW Speed Demon, even this 5* abomination lol.

View attachment 592486
That was me...sorry, I didn't know what I was doing and was just having fun with it. For what it's worth I did have fun and moved the jacket along. Didn't know me playing designer would make me such a living legend (not in a good way haha).

I have to slightly defend Five Star here because the terrible design changes (to the base Perfecto) here were specifically requested by a TFL member, and I remember telling him at the time that it would ruin the balance of the design.

The funny thing is even this Five Star has a better pocket location than the LW, though it's still ruined by the "make it smaller" request.

I hope I didn't offend you, I honestly didn't know what I was doing at the time. Just spit balling and actually don't remember reading your post with the suggestions

Aloysius

I hope I didn't offend you, I honestly didn't know what I was doing at the time. Just spit balling and actually don't remember reading your post with the suggestions

No offense taken! These things are part of the learning process.

Reactions: MTS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner