Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's wrong with Ralph Lauren these days?

luvthatlulu

Suspended
Marc...

What language am I writing in here? Price isn't the issue. Getting whatever you are doing right is the issue, buddy. Pay attention.

What does Ralph gain? Perhaps increased sales, for one. What a concept.

Feraud

Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
Why on earth would (or should) Ralph Lauren accept the advice of any "informed and collective group" that might not be able or willing to afford RL's products, especially at full price? What's in it for RL? Isn't it in his best interest to cater to those who CAN and DO buy his products at full price?

Right!
Based on this poll of Loungers I do not see the collective strength worthy to dictate the fashion direction of Ralph Lauren. :)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
luvthatlulu said:
What language am I writing in here? Price isn't the issue. Getting whatever you are doing right is the issue, buddy. Pay attention.

I hear you. But after working for several years as a merchandiser for one of RL's competitors, I learned enough about the biz to "cast a cold eye" on it.

RL doesn't care about getting his clothes classically perfect. He cares about getting his stuff sold. And I have sad news: even if RL's merchandise were classically perfect, it would still die on the vine if customers lost their taste for golden era style. And they do. Sometimes for years.

luvthatlulu said:
What does Ralph gain? Perhaps increased sales, for one. What a concept.

Ralph's sales are quite strong right now; probably stronger than they were 5 years ago. Meanwhile, "New Republic Clothiers," which really did produce the classic golden era look (and was quite faithful to it) went out of business. Low sales, I was told. And their stuff was less expensive than Ralph Lauren's!

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
The comment about FLers not being able to afford RL stuff was said to make a point and to curtail the nonsense being posted that Ralph needs to realize "where his real market lies." We aren't Ralph's "real market," and still wouldn't be if there were 40,000 of us. That's a simple economic fact.

Ralph Lauren is in the business of doing three things: 1) making money, 2) making a name for himself, and 3) doing it as a fashion designer. Not in the business of providing reproduction vintage wear, not in the business of bringing style back to the masses. He's in the fashion business, and that's why he makes the kind of pants you're complaining about.

I don't like the skinny pegged look, either, but I don't see any use complaining about it. It's what the market and the trends of fashion dictate.

luvthatlulu

Suspended
I've worked in manufacturing, too...

Believe me, if we saw in print that 4000+ people thought our design direction was even "just a little off" and offered any constructive advice, the last thing we would do is worry about how many of them could afford the product, and I assure you we would at least discuss some possible changes at the next Marketing Department meeting.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
luvthatlulu said:
Believe me, if we saw in print that 4000+ people thought our design direction was even "just a little off" and offered any constructive advice, the last thing we would do is worry about how many of them could afford the product, and I assure you we would at least discuss some possible changes at the next Marketing Department meeting.

It's all relative. Is your company's sales volume as massive as Ralph Lauren's?

Feraud

Bartender
Orgetorix said:
We aren't Ralph's "real market," and still wouldn't be if there were 40,000 of us. That's a simple economic fact.
Right.
We currently have a member named Indy Magnoli who is willing to work with members to give them every detail they can come up with for a custom suit.
How many of "The 4000" have used this resource?

luvthatlulu

Suspended
I love and respect all you guys and gals a lot, but...

if you are not willing to at least tell the manufacturers what you want, quit complaining about not being able to get what you want.

Anyway, I've said my peace. See you in another thread.;)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
luvthatlulu said:
if you are not willing to at least tell the manufacturers what you want, quit complaining about not being able to get what you want.

Prominent Lounger Matt Deckard has told RL's company "what we, the 4000 FLrs, want" -- literally dozens of times. For years! He's done the same with Brooks Brothers, Oxxford Clothes and other prominent menswear makers/sellers. Guess how much success he's had? None. Zero.

Luvthatlulu, the best that you and any of us can do right now is BUY FROM INDY MAGNOLI. He does good work and gives good service. He knows what we want and is willing to provide it. Forget Ralph Lauren!

luvthatlulu

Suspended
Marc Chevalier said:
Prominent Lounger Matt Deckard has told RL's company "what we, the 4000 FLrs, want" -- literally dozens of times. For years! He's done the same with Brooks Brothers, Oxxford Clothes and other prominent menswear makers/sellers. Guess how much success he's had? None. Zero.

Luvthatlulu, the best that you and any of us can do right now is BUY FROM INDY MAGNOLI. He does good work and gives good service. He knows what we want and is willing to provide it. Forget Ralph Lauren!

How do you know he didn't influence Ralph to make the aforementioned pants...and Ralph just got the leg width wrong?

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just my 2 cents but I don't think Ralph lauren or any other large company is making the bulk of their money on the higher end products. Those items are there for the idea and image they are selling. They make their money on underwear, t-shirts and the low end purfumes rather than the $4000+ suits and gowns.
In Japan fashion houses burn unsold products rather than sell them on sale.

Dapper Dan

One of the Regulars
It's already been said, really, but it's just simple economics. What members of the Lounge want and what the other 99% of Ralph's market wants are two completely different things. You can't really blame the guy for making a buck. Isn't it better that he gets some stuff "wrong" but still influences the market towards a more classic look than if he were to go all-vintage and go out of business?

I happen to really like Ralph Lauren. Some of the pieces I don't care for, but I realize I'm not the only one he's marketing to. One man's meat is another man's poison, after all. I'm just happy I get a good product.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
He had est. him self long ago- and apparently thinks he can rest on his name...unfortunately consumerism takes over. If you want to survive in the industry you go where the market takes you to make money. TH sold out, Why do you think parent companies like Estee Lauder & LVMH are so massive? [huh] It's sad...

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ralph Lauren suit has just come through.

This 'won' item has just winged it across from the US to the UK. Mid weight wool, in khaki with dark brown large check pattern.

Large wing tip lapels that could take you to Tokyo and back!

Baggy'ish pants, nice high waste to above navel. Really nice suit actually!

And 'Made in America' (not the far east)

How would I improve?

Slightly deeper cuff on pants.
Abit more weight to the fabric (but means I can still wear it into the summer).
More tapered to an hourglass figure.
Button fly (personal choice)
Watch pocket (which I like for my change, not my pocket watch!).

All in All....a nice suit and got it at a great price.

ralphlaurensuit002.jpg

ralphlaurensuit007.jpg

ralphlaurensuit005.jpg

ralphlaurensuit006.jpg

ralphlaurensuit012.jpg

ralphlaurensuit011.jpg

shr09polo9-1.jpg

shr09polo7-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member