Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's y'alls favorite cut of meat?

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
ITG said:
What will they do to you if you don't eat it all?
I think they just make you pay for it (which probably isn't cheap). I'm sure they poke a little fun at you, too. But, it's all in good fun.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Here I am just discovering this thread -- and now I am craving a good steak.

I love a filet mignon or prime rib -- prefer it rare if it is a good steakhouse and they can do rare right. I don't want the thing to come in mooing at me, but just perfectly rare. If I don't trust or know the steakhouse, I order medium-rare, on the rate side.

Yes! Baked potato with butter only, salad, fresh bread, some steamed veggies. An excellent draft beer or ale.

Last week, a friend took me out for my natal day treat and I couldn't decide between steak and seafood, so got both. Surf and turf.

Oh, boy, now I am starved....

karol

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Thanks for a Great Idea

HaraldTheSwede said:
Today is Midsummer's Eve. In Sweden this means eating herring (usually pickled) and potatoes (while drinking schnaps and beer), and later in the evening barbeque. Oh and not to forget strawberries with cream. I'm taking care of the beer and schnaps though, and don't know what steaks we'll barbeque.

Thanks very much for sharing this information - my wife is of Swedish descent, something of which she is very proud. I like to find little Swedish customs to share with her - a couple of years ago we did a Swedish Christmas. I shared your information about Midsummer's Eve, and so today we're having the things you mentioned!
:)
Of course, the time difference means we're probably a day off, but who's going to be picky?

K.D. Lightner said:
I love a filet mignon or prime rib -- prefer it rare if it is a good steakhouse and they can do rare right. I don't want the thing to come in mooing at me, but just perfectly rare. If I don't trust or know the steakhouse, I order medium-rare, on the rate side.

You bring up a point that is a pet peve of mine. You never know what the restaurant you go to defines as Rare and Medium Rare. After the E coli scares out here the scale has been adjusted up in most restaurants. So if you order a steak medium rare, you get medium or worse. Very seldom you receive it as a medium rare so I just order Rare because I have abetter chance of getting my steak the way I like. :p
I have even had this problem in high end restaurants that purport to have the best chefs in the world. The inconsistency drives me nuts. :eek: [huh]
This thread has made me eat beef for the last two days now. The originator must surely work int he beef industry. ;)

Regards to all,

J

P.S. Happy Birthday Karol---everybody sing. :cheers1:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
K.D. Lightner said:
I love a filet mignon or prime rib -- prefer it rare if it is a good steakhouse and they can do rare right. I don't want the thing to come in mooing at me, but just perfectly rare.karol

Oh! At our house we have a saying. "Just scare it, please. We'd like to leave hope that a decent vet could have it on it's feet in a few minutes."

scotrace said:
Thanks very much for sharing this information - my wife is of Swedish descent, something of which she is very proud. I like to find little Swedish customs to share with her - a couple of years ago we did a Swedish Christmas. I shared your information about Midsummer's Eve, and so today we're having the things you mentioned!
:)
Of course, the time difference means we're probably a day off, but who's going to be picky?

Hmmm...so we'll all be over about 8pm then? :p :cheers1:

Regards to all,

J

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
I like a good skirt steak. It's a thin cut but I find it to be much more flavorful than the thicker cuts of beef. I like it encebollado or with sauteed onions.

However, my favorite cut of steak would probably be a nice Porterhouse, Black and Blue (charred on the outside, raw on the inside). We have one of the best steak restaurants in the country right here in Brooklyn (Peter Luger's) and damn if they don't know how to make an amazing dry-aged porterhouse. Served up with some creamed spinach, onion rolls, and crispy fried german potatoes and I'm sold.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Thank you, James -- I just keep getting older and older. It's frightening!

Harald (and others): what does schnaps taste like? Can you get it here in the USA?

karol

K.D. Lightner said:
Thank you, James -- I just keep getting older and older. It's frightening!

Harald (and others): what does schnaps taste like? Can you get it here in the USA?

Age is purely what you let it be. More of a state of mind to me. :)
Schnapps is readily available around here. They sell it under names like Dr. McGilicuddy's. It is just clear German fruit brandy. Some say it is an acquired taste. Any of your local Beverages and More or stores like that should have it.

Regards to all,

J

Jen

New in Town
steak!

Peter Luger, Steak for Two, rare. With sliced tomato and onion (with Luger sauce), the potatos, and the creamed spinach. And a nice dark beer (because their house red is pretty gross).

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
Zach R. said:
Looks like I'm the only one who likes my steak cooked.

Maybe I should suck it up and eat a piece of bloody meat like a real man, huh? :p

I'm torn on how I like my steak. Sometimes I like it medium, where it is nice and juicy and pink. Sometimes I want it well done with a nice char on the outside. It also depends on where I am. Some places the steak taste better well done. Well done can have flavor too, but it depends on how they cook it.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I didn't particularly like steak when I was a kid; my mother fried it and I thought it a boring food. It was not until I got to college and had my first medium rare steak that I fell in love with it.

However, recently, I had a housekeeper who knew how to fix soul food; she fried steak for me one night -- I ate it and thought I'd gone to heaven! Oh, it was good!

That was one well done steak and it was also very well done.

karol

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Tomorrow night chili...

I take a sirloin steak and cube it, then brown the peices in a skillet. In a crock pot I mix a jar of Pace mild picante sauce, 2 cans of diced tomatos, a can of Rotel chili fixins, 2 cans kidney beans and a large can of spaghetti sauce, and the meat. I let it boil all day long. Serve with rice on the side and sweet tea (iced).

The day after I make Frito Pie for lunch with the left overs. Take a big bowl of Fritos corn chips and pour the reheated leftover chili on top, throw on some grated cheddar and a big dollop of sour cream, and y'all got a nice lunch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou