Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whats your favorite ethnic cuisines and whats the least liked ethnic cuisines?

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
If it ain't still a'wiggling, maybe, maybe not? lol!

Have no real favorites, like too many foods, but have some NOT going to do...raw fish, raw oysters, anything RAW in the meat menu. Love to use Jack Daniels with "liquid smoke" on steak, burgers, hot dogs, chicken on the grill! Yummy!

Last edited:

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I used to joke that all Mexican food was the same...just folded differently. Then I started dating my half-Mexican girlfriend and met her all-Mexican mom. Turns out the joke was on me. I had never actually eaten Mexican food. I had only eaten the Americanized, Taco Bell stuff I used to call "Mexican food". Now Mexican is probably my favorite ethnic food. But only if prepared by someone who is cooking to please a Mexican palate.

I'm not sure that I have a least favorite ethnic food. I am sure my waistline wishes that I didn't like at least one something. Sadly, depending on my mood, I'll eat and like almost anything that can't run or swim fast enough to elude me.

AF

Last edited:
I used to joke that all Mexican food was the same...just folded differently. Then I started dating my half-Mexican girlfriend and met her all-Mexican mom. Turns out the joke was on me. I had never actually eaten Mexican food. I had only eaten the Americanized, Taco Bell stuff I used to call "Mexican food". Now Mexican is probably my favorite ethnic food. But only if prepared by someone who is cooking to please a Mexican palate.

I'm not sure that I have least favorite ethnic food. I'm sure my waistline wishes that I didn't like at least one something. Sadly, depending on my mood, I'll eat and like almost anything that can't run or swim fast enough to elude me.

AF

That's one thing I like about living in Southern California is there are so many authentic Mexican places. The funny thing is that Taco Bell opened in Mexico a few years ago. But then again I was surprised to discover that Outback Steakhouse has several locations in the Sydney area. :eeek::p

Last edited:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The one thing I can't get my head around is corn on the cob slathered with mayonnaise. Many of the street vendors in the Latino areas sell them.

Hi
I may have to try that, I like mayonnaise pretty well. I like most Mexican food, including the "just folded different sort", but the more authentic is more better too. (English major ain't I?). I kind of like German food, we have a place with an all you can eat buffet on Thursday nights and they have 1 and 2 liter boots too. I like Thai food, Japanese food including Sushi, Vietnamese food, and Chinese food. I'm not much for Korean food, but I have a great reason for that. I've only been to five places that claimed to be Korean restaurants. the first is a place in Wichita that serves Bulgoki and Chinese food. The second was in Huntsville AL, it was a buffet, some of the the food was o.k. some not, but it was 60 degrees outside, 50 inside, they served us ice water and then left. The third was in Moore OK and was basically fried beef and rice, no spices. The fourth was in OKC and was better, the fifth was also in OKC and was just a little better too.

Haggis worries me, any food requiring the drinking of a glass (not a shot) of Scotch first can't bee too good.

later

These days, my gastronomic preferences are restricted much more by my physicians' advice than my taste buds.

There is truly very little food (of which I'm aware) that I just can't stomach, including stomach, come to think of it. Spice it up enough and it makes a darned good soup. It'll cure hangovers, too.

I'd prefer not to eat dog or cat, but if I were a dinner guest in a place where such were being served, I'd find a way. But I'd leave my own pets at home. (The neighbor's dog, on the other hand ... )

I'd prefer not to eat dog or cat, but if I were a dinner guest in a place where such were being served, I'd find a way. But I'd leave my own pets at home. (The neighbor's dog, on the other hand ... )

My aunt used to tell a sobering tale about the neighbor, their dog and the day the neighbor came by to get some potatoes from my grandfather. That was a REALLY desperate time. I hope it was a big dog anyway.:eusa_doh:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
You have to drink scotch first?! I am there! It can't be all that bad. Heart, Liver and Lungs? Ok, I could use some extra back ups. :p

Offal meat is a wonderful thing. When I was a little kid heart meat was my absolute favorite thing to put in a sandwich. Once in the first grade some kid was pestering me about my lunch and kept asking me what it was -- because it obviously wasn't the neatly packaged stuff that the Right Kind of Kids ate. "Come on, what is it??" he kept asking. I looked him dead in the eye and said, in all truthfulness, "A pig's heart."

That kid never bothered me again.

Offal meat is a wonderful thing. When I was a little kid heart meat was my absolute favorite thing to put in a sandwich. Once in the first grade some kid was pestering me about my lunch and kept asking me what it was -- because it obviously wasn't the neatly packaged stuff that the Right Kind of Kids ate. "Come on, what is it??" he kept asking. I looked him dead in the eye and said, in all truthfulness, "A pig's heart."

That kid never bothered me again.

The good thing about that is they would never steal your lunch. :p
Heck, I don't mind what they call pluck. That stuff has a better taste than some lesser cuts of meat. Then again, I like liver, tripe, kidneys and a host of other things. lol lol I draw the line at brains for the whole mad cow thing. :p

3fingers

One Too Many
I draw the line at brains for the whole mad cow thing. :p
We ate a lot of "wildlife" when I was a kid. My sisters used to argue about who got to eat the squirrel brains. Two otherwise well behaved young ladies cracking a squirrel skull with a butterknife handle. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic